EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egypt finds 12th human bird flu case

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt finds 12th human bird flu case
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, it looks as if the awareness of the danger of keeping chickens still hasn't reached everyone. I was reading that the income brought from chickens and people's need for them for their protein is outweighing the notice they take of government warnings, which they don't trust. And this is the consequence:

Egypt finds 12th human bird flu case

Tue Apr 11, 4:37 AM ET

Egypt has found its 12th case of human bird flu, Health and Population Minister Hatem el-Gabali said in comments published late on Monday.

The latest case was an 18-year-old woman from a province north of Cairo who caught the virus after handling infected birds, the state MENA news agency quoted Gabali and ministry officials saying.

The ministry said the woman was in a stable condition and members of her family were being tested for infection.

"She is being given Tamiflu, the necessary treatment for battling bird flu," a ministry official said, referring to the anti-viral medication thought to be the best method of fighting bird flu in humans.

The deadly H5N1 strain has so far killed three people in Egypt, according to the government. A further five have made full recoveries and four remain in hospital.

The World Health Organization (WHO), which carries out additional tests after initial government testing, has confirmed four of Egypt's total cases including two of the deaths.

The disease, which has killed at least 109 people worldwide, has spread rapidly since 2003 from Asia to Europe, the Middle East and Africa. While mainly affecting animals, scientists fear the disease could mutate into a form that can pass between humans, sparking a pandemic.

Bird flu was detected in birds in Egypt in February and the first human infection was reported in mid-March. The WHO has said it is concerned about the disease's human toll in a relatively short period of time.

Women, who make up all three of Egypt's fatalities, are often responsible for slaughtering and cooking domestic poultry, and the government has called for more awareness about bird flu among women to protect themselves and their families.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catch a 4alling **ChImP**
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catch a 4alling **ChImP**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when me was in nasr city ,bird flu was already there the goverment covered it up cus of the elcetions they was aware fo this situation ;..my huby said you only need to know what is needed to know ..we know of stuff before they get it and im here in eeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrlaaaaaaaaaaaand......and when elcetios were over BEHOLD bird flu found just 2mins from where we were living ,my hubby says in his city no chicken now to many people scare ,and just for the short bird flu was not in england BUT SCOTLAND ..never put a scot wif an english man same for a welsh ....bird flu not here ..allah help us ..
Posts: 1602 | From: the banana island shake me tweeeeeeee | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catch a 4alling **ChImP**
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catch a 4alling **ChImP**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bird flu has not just srung up over night its been here all time and probably is in my city has me write but no media has flashed that here ,its media that has control now of most things to hype and create a situation ,its been here for many centuries and will continue to do so ,its a conspiracy to rid the population and cut it by half cus we are aover crowded so they say hehehehehhee [Big Grin] just trying to humour yes it is IT IS FRIGHTING TO THINK ABOUT IT ,AGREED THERE ..
Posts: 1602 | From: the banana island shake me tweeeeeeee | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Sadly, it looks as if the awareness of the danger of keeping chickens still hasn't reached everyone. I was reading that the income brought from chickens and people's need for them for their protein is outweighing the notice they take of government warnings, which they don't trust. And this is the consequence:

Egypt finds 12th human bird flu case

Tue Apr 11, 4:37 AM ET

Egypt has found its 12th case of human bird flu, Health and Population Minister Hatem el-Gabali said in comments published late on Monday.

The latest case was an 18-year-old woman from a province north of Cairo who caught the virus after handling infected birds, the state MENA news agency quoted Gabali and ministry officials saying.

The ministry said the woman was in a stable condition and members of her family were being tested for infection.

"She is being given Tamiflu, the necessary treatment for battling bird flu," a ministry official said, referring to the anti-viral medication thought to be the best method of fighting bird flu in humans.

The deadly H5N1 strain has so far killed three people in Egypt, according to the government. A further five have made full recoveries and four remain in hospital.

The World Health Organization (WHO), which carries out additional tests after initial government testing, has confirmed four of Egypt's total cases including two of the deaths.

The disease, which has killed at least 109 people worldwide, has spread rapidly since 2003 from Asia to Europe, the Middle East and Africa. While mainly affecting animals, scientists fear the disease could mutate into a form that can pass between humans, sparking a pandemic.

Bird flu was detected in birds in Egypt in February and the first human infection was reported in mid-March. The WHO has said it is concerned about the disease's human toll in a relatively short period of time.

Women, who make up all three of Egypt's fatalities, are often responsible for slaughtering and cooking domestic poultry, and the government has called for more awareness about bird flu among women to protect themselves and their families.

these people still keeping chickens are DENSE!
I understand being poor and needing protein, but for the love of God take your health more seriously!! you can get protein in other ways, they're just being stubborn and it's costing lives.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I understand being poor and needing protein, but for the love of God take your health more seriously!! you can get protein in other ways, they're just being stubborn and it's costing lives.

Assalamu alaykum Smuckers!

The majority of the people who are still keeping chickens in and around their homes are rural people, many of them with little or no education. Raising chickens for many of them is a way of life and they know nothing different. Changing the patterns of rural living cannot not be done overnight, especially not by a self-serving government which the people have learned to mistrust over the years.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I still don't understand is can you catch the bird flu by eating cooked,fried..etc chicken?
Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically they're saying no, just by handling an infected dead chicken. But I don't trust anything 'they' say because the warning is basically that the more people infected, the more liklihood the disease has of mutating and changing.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

Assalamu alaykum Smuckers!

The majority of the people who are still keeping chickens in and around their homes are rural people, many of them with little or no education. Raising chickens for many of them is a way of life and they know nothing different. Changing the patterns of rural living cannot not be done overnight, especially not by a self-serving government which the people have learned to mistrust over the years.

wa alaykom salaam newcomer.
I have seen rural people, educated, non rural, non educated still keeping chickens and outdoors! I get so pissed off when I find chicken feathers on my balcony i want to poison their chickens...but alas I cannot [Frown]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com