EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Does an Egyiptian woman need education?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does an Egyiptian woman need education?
vazso
Member # 10889

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vazso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please share with me your opinion and experience in the education status of women in Egypt.

I'm curious about everything in this topic.

thanks.
Sophy

Posts: 5 | From: Hungary | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes they need education, they recieve it far more than most Arab or North African countries.

THough rural education is lacking, for both sex with females being the least served. It will improve.

Egypt is fair to women when it comes to education. My FIL is a superintendant for junior colleges for El-Menoufia and part of the Cairo Governate. He along with almost a hundred other superintendants in Egypt decide according to high school test scores and situation who will go on to engineering, education, medical college so forth and so forth.

Basically fundamentalists want more women not to be assigned to engineering and medical college because they "should be at home with children, not working so why waste such an important degree on a woman". But overwhelmingly more women qualify or engineering and medical college than men due to grades and test scores. So if they went straight by the numbers 80% of engineers would be women and 75% of doctors would be women. But that can't happen, so they assign unworthy males to these fields [Roll Eyes] .

Though NGOs and many ES usernames will differ with me on this, its not the government's fault that rural families keep their daughters home from school, its cultural. They try to accomodate, and most often times foreigners working in NGOs would rather run the country themselves instead of the government (a form of imperialism) and think that a bunch of weird, spoiled foreign bratty housewives (NGO employees) can get a Seaadi or fallahin farmer to allow his daughter to go to school. I laugh at the thought. I really do. I'd like to see those stuffy Maadi women go to a small town and discuss their daughter's education with these rural men. Personally I think CNN should do an expose' on it.

Think of it this way. The NGOs basically want to tell the Egyptian government how to do its job in every minute aspect. Its like a Brit in Cairo during the 1840s going into the baladi homes and instructing Egyptian men on how to clean their homes, give birth to their own children and how to pray to the British god. Instead of chastising the Egyptian government for failing in everyway, why don't these NGOs go out and work miracles on their own. I'd really like to see that.

Due to the "haddad" and female youths expected to be good girls and be at home more then male youths, their grades and test scores are naturally better. A part of traditional sex segregation that actually does what it isn't intended. [Wink]

I think your concerns are moot. You should be concerned about Egyptian male youths studying harder.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vazso
Member # 10889

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vazso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I'm on the same opinion as you. I have read lots about it on the Internet, but Internet sites are very western-minded...I am writing a study in it at university (in Hungary)
Do you know George Orwell? He wrote in the 1984 that : FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH . This is the title of a part from my study too. I think that very poor girls in rural areas don't need education. But this problem has two sides. The first is the above-mentioned, but we have to remember the positive effects of the education (which is founded in human development reports) for health, for women empowerment. So I'm a little bit confused. I can't judge from here what is the best for women in Egypt, for a rural women. I know that everything is all right in Cairo and the wealthier areas so I don't occupy with that. On the other hand in rural areas the religion and the ancien customs have deeply rooted impacts, and that is i am looking for. How can the local customs (which are unknown to me) influence the women's life (about education).

Good night!
[Smile]

Posts: 5 | From: Hungary | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com