EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Corruption Displayed in the Streets of Cairo!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Corruption Displayed in the Streets of Cairo!
lemonspice
Member # 5667

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for lemonspice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while a go I thought I'll visit the Fish Park, which obviously isn't the most sensible choice of outing- but I still felt like it! The fresh weather around the Nile and passing through Zamalek streets was all I needed.

Then right before entering (it was a Friday by the way), I saw a lot of kids playing around-doormen's children, their families, etc, and about 3 'sweet potatoe carriages' that stood there while being overcrowded with kids.

The next thing everybody was kind of running around; the police truck was coming to arrest the 'sweet potato guys'. Why? Because they don't have a 'license' to sell there!!

To my sadness-and everybody else's- they took one-who I still hadn't paid yet for my potato!! Right infront of all the kids-they just took him and drove off. The children who had seen the whole thing, started gathering over the deserted carriage, climbing onto it, snatching the food, giving it to their friends, and almost destroying the poor guy's carriage(that might have took him months to save for it). Some luckier carriages fled quickly before the police could get them, taking a 'round' then returning once it was 'clear of police', afterall, this is friday, and it's the best time& place for them to make some money.

All the people that pay bribes and people who GET PAID BRIBES are left everywhere in the city. All those VIP's that live off lavish gifts and abnormal amounts of money in order to 'do their job' are completely ignored. And WHAT IS THE POLICE WASTING HIS TIME DOING? CATCHING THE SWEET POTATOE GUYS. Is this 'Om el denya'???
Will EGYPT and its people ever learn how to LIVE, AND LET LIVE??

Posts: 604 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not in a million years!
Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lemonspice:
Will EGYPT and its people ever learn how to LIVE, AND LET LIVE??

When it reaches -273 K in hell and Satan & his minions make themselves some hot chocolate to warm up.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you keep your sweet potato? [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly u ask the incorrect question at the end ... it isn't about "living and letting live".

it's about when will the corruption and hypocrisy end ...

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
corruption will end when cops/police will stop taking bribes....corruption will end when ppl will stop asking for wasta!
Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hope Cairo's finest can crack down on this illegitmate sweet potato scam perpetrated by these conglomerate, sinister, underworld thugs that disguise themselves as "the sweet potato man", yet weave in & out of society freely, unbeknownst to most of us.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian Mafia:
corruption will end when cops/police will stop taking bribes....corruption will end when ppl will stop asking for wasta!

No, Corruption will end when people are able to earn a decent standard of living and that includes the police. Wherever there is poverty you will find corruption.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really! Egyptians were always poor! They need freedom and justice! How much can you resist when you efforts are not appreciated and someone else who does nothing takes everything because he knows the boss or has connections? when you can't apply to specific work unless you have connections? when someone can turn your life into hell and you can't do anything to him because his uncle is a police officer? Last 50 yrs of injustice and lack of freedom made Egyptians like a wild animal in a cage who will hurt anyone coming close.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This kind of thing happens here in Alex all the time. Realistically, it IS a kind of taxation I guess, as the vendor has to go through the rigmarole of retrieving their equipment for a hefty fee.
It is horrible to watch, I saw a poor blind man have all his bread tipped onto the street so the police could take his racks. Awful.
Guess the thing to do is snatch up your mobile and photograph these instances, maybe it will embarrass them into doing things differently.
Does happen all over the world though.We pay our taxes for the law, and they in turn protect the interests of big businesses by harrassing the poor/protesting copyright/chasing shoplifters for them etc etc.
Funny old world.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com