EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Something a bit different...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Something a bit different...
nafisa
Member # 11509

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nafisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morning,

We will be spending a couple of weeks in Cairo before we move down to Luxor. The purpose of the trip is to purchase some bits and bobs that aren't in available in Luxor but we want to do some fun things too.

I have been to Cairo several times and so far have been to Khan el Khallili, the Pyramids, Citadel,Museum, Gezira Museum of Islamic Art, Cairo Tower etc, Pharonic Museum and most of the main attractions but wondered if there was anything else that you can recommend which is a bit different that most tourists wouldn't know about or wouldn't have the time to do. Little hidden treasures.
I read somewhere that there is an Om Koulthoum Museum. Does anybody know if this is a worthwhile visiting? Any interesting shops worth looking at? I love Malls but think I have been to most of them now, Stars, Ramses Hilton, Arkadia etc Any other good ones you can think of?. Are there many interesting shops in Nasr city?

Cinemas-Are there many cinemas that show English films? I have been to the Ramses Hilton cinema before but are there any other good ones? The Sheraton and Good news one only seems to show Arabic films. I heard there is a new film coning out about Abdul Halim, has this come out yet? Is it any good?

Questions, questions questions
Nafisa
x

Posts: 51 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the website www.yalabina.com for details of all entertainment in Cairo.I used it when I visited recently and it saved me from a lynching by my teenager.

There is the dolphins at Merryland, again daughter enjoyed that.

I love Pharonic Village, well worth a visit. And apparently the railway museum is good. I had a guest who was a railway enthuists and he raved about the railway museum in Cairo. The zoo is interesting and certainly differnet from a european one.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DamselInDistress
Member # 7061

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DamselInDistress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nafisa, forget the dolphins at Merryland. The place is a dump, it stinks and the animal cruelty there is heart breaking.
Posts: 70 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The zoo is not for animal lovers, stay away
Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you like Music (local bands, Musicians), Art, lectures, poetry etc you can try Sawy Culture Wheel in Zamalek. If you also like people-watching then you can see a wonderful mix of Egyptians depending on the event. At one event I thought I was in the bronx! http://www.culturewheel.com/index.asp

If you have children then there is a place on Sakkara Road called Fagnoon where they can spend a nice day participating in activities: http://www.fagnoon.net/home.htm

Nile Dinner cruises in Cairo.

Kerdassa (Shopping)

Dreampark: http://www.dreamparkegypt.com/

Al Azhar Park

If you have time, you can go to Fayoum for the day ...

When you get here, if you can get hold of a copy of the community times you will also find things to do in there. Egypt Today sometimes has articles you can possibly do a search on their website: http://www.egypttoday.com/

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DamselInDistress
Member # 7061

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DamselInDistress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree with you about the zoo Sunburnt. The place is a hell hole and I don't know how anybody can visit that place without throwing up. It is really a little piece of hell on earth.
Posts: 70 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com