EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » International Deliveries to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: International Deliveries to Egypt
setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for setithefirst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I am moving to Egypt in a few months and order Egyptology books often from Amazon.com. Does anyone know if they deliver to Egypt? Do they open the packages?

Thanks

Posts: 67 | From: Philadelphia, Pa usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes they deliver but the bad news is sometimes you will get charged customs. Sometime not. There seems to be no rule behind it. I have had 4 deliveries of amazon, one didin't make it and they credited me, two made it and i didin't get charged, including one v expensive book on Seti I and one I got charged on.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by setithefirst:
Hi!

I am moving to Egypt in a few months and order Egyptology books often from Amazon.com. Does anyone know if they deliver to Egypt? Do they open the packages?

Thanks

They always open the packages and almost always charge a considerable amount of money.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Books are one of the few things that, theoretically, are supposed to be exempted from customs. I've never been charged for books.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was charged 70LE for a parcel of 5 books, when I complained at Luxor post office they said the charge had been made in Cairo and if I wanted to do anything about it I would have to go there. [Frown] I decided it was cheaper to pay the 70LE although I did insist on a receipt.

They didn't open any of the packages, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason behind these things in Egypt.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From NC and Akshar's posts you can conclude that there are no rules for it.

Just like anything else in Egypt. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for setithefirst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, much apreciated!

Posts: 67 | From: Philadelphia, Pa usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com