EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Cracked pyramid forces ban on idling vehicles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cracked pyramid forces ban on idling vehicles
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
October 10 2006 at 02:26AM

Cairo - Egyptian authorities have put a ban on idling vehicle engines in Saqqara, south-west of Cairo, after cracks started to show on the country's oldest pyramid.

The head of Egypt's supreme council for antiquities, Zahi Hawass, had "decided to ban the running of engines of all cars and buses waiting for tourists in the archaeological area of Saqqara", a council statement said.

"The running of engines has caused the area to experience some shaking which has in turn caused cracks in the pyramid of Djoser," the statement said.

Built in the 27th century BC, the Djoser pyramid, also known as the Step Pyramid, is said to be the world's oldest stone monument building.

The 60-metre-high structure was commissioned by the Pharaoh Djoser, the founder of Egypt's third dynasty, for his burial in what was then Memphis, the capital of Ancient Egypt.

Hawass warned that anyone caught running a car engine would be charged with damaging archaeological sites and face legal action.
SHUD BANN ANY WAY AND MAKE THEM WALK APRT FROM THE ELDERLEY AND THE DISABLE ...

AND BAN PICNICS AS WELL THEY DONT CLEAN UP ON THEMSELVES ,,,,MIND U I HAD A PICNINC BUT I DISPOSED OF MY STUFF PROPERLY ....

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com