EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Contaminated water kills one person, hospitalizes 100 others in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contaminated water kills one person, hospitalizes 100 others in Egypt
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contaminated water kills one person, hospitalizes 100 others in Egypt

By Agencies
First Published: October 13, 2006

CAIRO: Contaminated water has killed one person and sickened more than 100 others in Al-Daqahliya province, according to police and medical sources.

The ill were admitted to area hospitals over the last two days with symptoms including fever, stomach aches and vomiting.

Many were released from the hospital after receiving treatment, but more than 50 remained hospitalized Friday, said a police official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
A doctor at the Mansoura infectious diseases hospital told The Daily Star Egypt, on condition of anonymity, that all reported cases were in stable condition.

The doctor said he was among those treating the patients. He added that two new cases have been admitted to the hospital Friday.

"Inshallah all cases will be released in three or four days," he said. The doctor revealed that the single fatality had died due to “extraneous conditions” — the patient was diabetic.

Meanwhile, health ministry spokesman Abdul Rahman Shaheen told local media that salmonella bacteria was found in the water and was responsible for the death.

Salmonella can cause diarrhea and other flu-like symptoms but can be deadly unless infected people are treated promptly with antibiotics.

Daqahliya's Governor Ahmed Said Sawan said the affect districts' water supply would remain cut off until officials are able to fix the problem.

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=3431

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CAIRO: This week’s greatest culprit is … bacteria.

On Oct.12, FilBalad.com reported that Dr. Hatim Al-Jabali, minister of health and population, said lab tests proved salmonella and not cholera had led to the poisoning of nearly 100 people in Al-Daqahleya province.

Al-Jabali added that a panic had ensued when two village girls in the province died after complaining of vomiting and diarrhea. The rest of the cases have recovered completely after being hospitalized, he said. Furthermore, the governor of Al-Daqahleya called on citizens to adopt safety procedures such as boiling water before consumption and avoiding the use of any water pumps on farmland.

The number of people suffering from food poisoning in Al-Mansoura reached 73. Analysis of drinking water in the area revealed sewage contamination in the water pipes. The salmonella bacteria, originally present in sewage water, caused the typhoid fever that killed two schoolgirls and left the rest with acute symptoms of food poisoning.....

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=3453

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your joking i never drank the water i got bottled water most of the time ,but i found alexandria system to be so up to date with there sewage pipes and irrigation and other stuff more than cairo or surrounding towms ..i found alexandria less hooting there of the cars as well ..why is this ,and it seemed so cleaner concidering cairo is the top destination in tourism there and most of the time its the in and out bounds of the country ,icant understand sometimes they never learn ...
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes the water is contaminated
but most egy men get used to it

the microbes is tolerant to the egy bodies

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I accidentally drank the water here and I was sick for DAYS in terrible pain - thought I had gone to Mexico and drank their water....I truly wanted to die.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the microbes r friendly to us. it attcks forigner bodies only
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3raqyah_fi_Masr
Member # 12095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3raqyah_fi_Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem with the water for me, guess I got a strong arabic stomach, even though I lived in Europe all my life..

--------------------
Iraqi, ya3ny!!!!!

Posts: 90 | From: Al Qahirah, Masr | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 3raqyah_fi_Masr:
No problem with the water for me, guess I got a strong arabic stomach, even though I lived in Europe all my life..

i think it's genes. u have arabic genes [Roll Eyes]
3raqyah_fi_Masr
Member # 12095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3raqyah_fi_Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LoL I guess so. Elhamdolillah!

--------------------
Iraqi, ya3ny!!!!!

Posts: 90 | From: Al Qahirah, Masr | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok so does anyone know of people in the giza area being affected at all cause my ex boyfriend has been sick off and on with diarhea since i left 2 months ago. He gets better then sick again for a week or more, also carries a fever and no energy during this. Stomach cramps of course. I am concerned and have told him to go to a doctor but he refuses. When he gets better it only lasts about 3 or 4 days then he gets sick all over again.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he must have ainfection or it cus be the water there was a problem with the water round giza if i can remember when i was there in the nov ,,the are laying new pipes for the sewars cause at the moment they are not suffiecnt at all ...he shud go and see a doctor he needs too and if any ES USERS ARE HERE THE WILL HELP HIM IF HE NEED TO Be ...who live in and around cairo ...
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Batman , discovering lies:
the microbes r friendly to us. it attcks forigner bodies only

This foreigner drank tap water in Cairo and survived to tell the tale. [Wink] No real trouble at all. (Although I must say I didn't drink it on purpose, was offered a glass of water by my in-laws when I first arrived. Didn't realize it was tap until it was too late.)
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always drink tap water in Egypt and have never been ill from it

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also a foreigner and I drink tap water. I was sick the first week but then got used to it, its been 2 months.

Its better to get used to it right away I think.

--------------------
"Whashing One's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral" -Freire-

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not gonna drink the tap water while I'm there!
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
I always drink tap water in Egypt and have never been ill from it

I must 'confess' that in the beginning I used bottled water but after a while I shifted over to normal tap water - and thankfully I never had a problem. I guess my stomach is kinda strong..... [Wink]

But I want to say to visitors to really follow the advise and ONLY use bottled water. Another tip from me - try to stay away froms salad bars if you can.

mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mystic, I was going to say giardia based on the recurrence.... http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dpd/parasites/giardiasis/factsht_giardia.htm
but I don't think that usually has fever with it. He should ask his doc.
gastroenteritis can have fever with it, depending on the type of bacteria that have infected the person, but I don't know what would make it come and go. I would just be concerned about something more sinister like Hep B or something. He should get some regular blood work if it lasts much longer.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

Britons must drink recycled sewage

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain needs to use more recycled effluent as drinking water if it is to deal with a long-term shortage crisis, a report said on Tuesday.

The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) said using treated sewage was one radical suggestion that needed to be pursued if the country was deal with the growing problem.

It also called for a rise in spending on infrastructure along with price rises of up to 20 percent to fund the replacement of old, leaky pipes, particularly in London.

Many UK water companies were forced to impose tough restrictions on water usage this summer, banning the use of hose-pipes and sprinklers, because of low reservoir levels.

The Environment Agency said south-east England had endured its worst drought for a century.

"Parts of the UK are experiencing long term water shortages, so we need a range of solutions to keep the water running," said John Lawson, the ICE's Water Board chairman.

"Effluent water reuse is still a relatively untapped way of providing drinking water to meet growing long term needs.

Sewage can be turned into drinking water by processes which sieve and then chemically clean the water so it can be put back into rivers to be re-treated for human consumption.

In its annual State of the Nation report, ICE also suggested compulsory water metering to encourage users to save water in areas where it was scarce, together with the building of new reservoirs and desalination plants.

"Water consumer prices will have to rise to pay for new infrastructure -- an uncomfortable fact customers, the government and regulators must recognise," Lawson said.

"We currently pay less for our water than many of our European neighbours -- something that will have to change to keep our taps from running dry.

However Water UK, a body which represents water companies, said the ICE report gave a "false analysis" of future resources and accused it of "sensationalism".

"While the industry, its regulators and the government keep all potential supply measures under review to ensure security of supply, there is no intention or need to change the current policy on effluent reuse," Water UK said in a statement.

And we live on an island surrounded by the stuff [Confused]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Health Ministry: Household pumps led to contaminated water in Mansoura

By Abdel-Rahman Hussein
First Published: October 18, 2006

Ordinary motor pumps meant to increase water pressure in households in the village of Bilgay near Mansoura led to seepage of contaminants into drinking water and are believed to be the reasons why there was a salmonella outbreak in the Daqahliya governorate, the Ministry of Health told The Daily Star Egypt.

Contamination of drinking water by raw untreated sewage caused last week’s salmonella outbreak in Mansoura, the Ministry of Health added. Health Minister Hatem el Gabali said residents fell ill after drinking contaminated water which contained high levels of bacteria.

The proximity of fresh water pipes and the raw sewage system, particularly when fresh water pipes run close to the sewage drains, poses a serious threat, especially if there is a leak or breakage in the pipes.

Other homes which are not tributaries of the main water source — the Mansoura water station — store water in tanks on the roof, which they draw through a pipe from an underground source. This is an unsafe method of keeping water and thus more liable to be contaminated, the ministry said.....

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=3520

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com