EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Phone Cards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phone Cards
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been researching phone cards. I have found some confusing things about some of them.

different fee's and rates that are deducted
are the charges per minute actually what you are charged
rounding 3min..sounds bad 1min sounds better but not sure

Has anyone used these? What has been your experience or overall impression?

Jupiter
Stiphone
AT&T
etc.....

Now we are looking for pre-paid cards to call the US from a Saudi cell phone. Any ideas here? Can you believe the rates to call the US from the Middle East? That totally shocked me. Does anyone know why? Seems like it should be the other way around. [Confused]

شكرا

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use pc to phone cards. They cost like 4 cents per minute to call US.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Former ES Member and Moving Away
Member # 10626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Former ES Member and Moving Away     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sheba76:
I have been researching phone cards. I have found some confusing things about some of them.

different fee's and rates that are deducted
are the charges per minute actually what you are charged
rounding 3min..sounds bad 1min sounds better but not sure

Has anyone used these? What has been your experience or overall impression?

Jupiter
Stiphone
AT&T
etc.....

Now we are looking for pre-paid cards to call the US from a Saudi cell phone. Any ideas here? Can you believe the rates to call the US from the Middle East? That totally shocked me. Does anyone know why? Seems like it should be the other way around. [Confused]

شكرا

Don't use AT&T pre-paid phone cards. I tried them out when I made long-distance calls to the ME and I only got like 10 mins of call time. That was my first and last experience with them. I found the time usage on the card to be sorely ridiculous... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 820 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Husband uses STI Cards to call Egypt from the U.S. all the time. I don't know much about them, other than they are much cheaper than AT&T. He just picks them up at a local gas station. He has said they have better rates than other brands he's tried.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tream Lefty:
Husband uses STI Cards to call Egypt from the U.S. all the time. I don't know much about them, other than they are much cheaper than AT&T. He just picks them up at a local gas station. He has said they have better rates than other brands he's tried.

Whats so bizare is those STI cards come in like 6 different flavors all with different contract stipulations.

"Africa Dream" is a card that somehow manages to get excellent milleage on. I don't know if the dwebs who keep track of the minutes or higher rate periods are doing their job or the people who buy the "Africa Dream" cards aren't calling Egypt as much as other nations.

Otherwise have mom charge minutes to the MCI calling card like me. Naturally in exchange for housekeeping and the like! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dina M
Member # 12483

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dina M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
arabian deluxe is a good one 2, the $5 one gives u like 45-50 min. i always use it 2 call fam back home in Egypt. sti isnt good though i used 2 use that on but arabian deluxe gives more mins, but r u calling from the us or to the us?

--------------------
Low sa2ltak inta masry te2oly eh? Oly Masr, ibn Masry we kol masr allah 3leh

Posts: 14 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samarra_Anissa:
quote:
Originally posted by Tream Lefty:

Whats so bizare is those STI cards come in like 6 different flavors all with different contract stipulations.

"Africa Dream" is a card that somehow manages to get excellent milleage on. I don't know if the dwebs who keep track of the minutes or higher rate periods are doing their job or the people who buy the "Africa Dream" cards aren't calling Egypt as much as other nations.

Otherwise have mom charge minutes to the MCI calling card like me. Naturally in exchange for housekeeping and the like! [Big Grin]

I did notice STI seems to have a bunch of different cards, but I don't know what that means. Husband's in Egypt for two weeks right now, and he bought some for me to use to call him. I seem to get about 45 minutes per $5 card. But sometimes I don't get through to anyone, and still lose time off the cards. [Mad]

Looking at their website now, though, it seems you get charged different amounts if you are calling a cell phone over there rather than a land line. How bizarre.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Dina M:
arabian deluxe is a good one 2, the $5 one gives u like 45-50 min. i always use it 2 call fam back home in Egypt. sti isnt good though i used 2 use that on but arabian deluxe gives more mins, but r u calling from the us or to the us?

That's about the rate I get off an STI Card from Washington, DC, calling to Egypt. If you are in NYC, perhaps you are getting charged more just because the cost of living is higher there.
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using a land line phone during non-peak hours *in egypt* not here 70 minutes with the Africa dream card, I think its a CTA card but not sure.
Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I have it covered from this end. US to Saudi Arabia.

But he is using a cell phone in Saudi to call me in US. He doesn't have a pc yet. So the pc thing is out. Net cafe's are so expensive there. So we don't talk every day right now. Which is hard. We do talk for free when he does go to net cafe.

شكرا

I haven't seen some of those cards. I'll research them.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use speedypin.com, and buy the Sapphire card
it's about .16 a minute and we can recharge it online when it runs out.

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks I have checked them out. I can find them for me. I can't seem to find good ones for him. Man I cannot believe how expensive it is to call out of the ME.

Thanks again for the info.

شكرا

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use pennytalk.com its 15 cents a min to eguypt that is the cheapest i have seen
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just looked at another one it is cloncom.com calling from us to saudia ar. is 14.7 cents a min the card is calling middle east
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com