EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Wash it! Damn it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wash it! Damn it!
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep hearing stories form some Westerners mocking the booty-washer Egyptian toilets.

Ball back to your court, now would someone please tell me why some people do not wash their hands after going to the friggin bathroom?

Close to 60% of the young Europeans simply see no use for the sink in the toilet. (I recently read this in the Dutch news but I couldn't find any English article online about it)

3ala ra2y VB, do they think they sshit chocolate fudge ice-cream or what?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2031316.stm

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] thats just plain GROSS.
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i LOVE Egyptian toilets!!

I heard some report years ago about a survey thing was done. They tested bowls of peanuts that was in a local bar on the bar free to eat. (makes people drink more) It was said to contain at least 40 different URINE samples in the peanuts, due to people not washing thier hands after going to the loo YUKKK

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well don't count me in as one of those westerners complaining MK, I too appreciate the cleanliness factor involved with it!

As far as washing hands...oh ewwwwwww that is just plain disgusting.

Another thing, ladies DON'T put your purse on the floor when you are out in public restrooms, this had to be one of the DIRTIEST areas there are.

Now back to my kitchen before I get sick reading all this stuff.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read the faucet handles in a women's bathroom are one of the dirtiest places in a bathroom, which makes sense. Women get whatever on their hands, go to wash, and deposit the germs on the handles at the sink. Makes you want to avoid washing there, too. [Frown]

Not sure how to solve it. I watch women at my office to go great lengths to not touch *anything,* using paper towels to turn on the water at the sink, using paper towels to open the door when they leave....

I continue to wash my hands in the regular fashion, but use some of that Purel hand sanitizer right after I leave the bathroom. But it's really drying to the skin. [Frown]

But I tell you what -- I've got a germaphobe male suitemate at work -- and he tells us all which men don't wash their hands after using the bathroom! Now we know whose hands not to shake. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is true
bar nuts are full of bacertia, im a person, that works in a bar, and i know im crazy, but i look at people coming from the toilets, and the amount of people thatcome out doing up there trousers is unreal, basically no way did they was h there hands,
filthy pigs, then, hands in the nuts, i dont eat from them,
Im pretty obsesive about public toilets, i cant use my hands to open the doors, i use elbow or pull my coat or jumper over my hand,
this is after ive washed my hands,
also, i dont like to use hand rails on public steps, yuk, you never no what person hand there hands there

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im always washing me BUTT and hands even my gob when its dirty ..... [Big Grin]
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh me to,
i dont like smelly botties, gobs and fannies

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats a gob?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Whats a gob?

mouth Laura
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gobbles!
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Whats a gob?

heheheheh ,its used for many ways ,,gobble gobble .glut glut
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
yes, youre right chimps
lots of ways and uses

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
Gobbles!

OMG, you are such a South Park addict!
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tream Lefty:
quote:
Gobbles!

OMG, you are such a South Park addict!
Remember who got my vote as the greatest American in history?

I was serious.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it really is disgusting to see people not wash their hands, hello, water as warm as you can stand it, lots of soap and wash vigorously (sp?MK?) for at least a minute. There are all kinds of nasty things in bathrooms, the other thing, take something to dry your hands with, napkins or something and use it to open the bathroom door when you leave, dispose of it upon leaving the bathroom...think of all of the people who touched that doorknob on the way out who DIDn't wash up....uggghhh... [Frown]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Since we are on such a clean thread, I have to ask this about Egypt.

All the juice shops you see, the outdoor vendors, even some resturants, do they ever really Clean the dishes/glasses/machines before reusing them? I'm not talking about a quick rinse in a bucket of dirty water either.

I swear they don't, when they don't even have running water, but my husband insists they do.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
All the juice shops you see, the outdoor vendors, even some resturants, do they ever really Clean the dishes/glasses/machines before reusing them? I'm not talking about a quick rinse in a bucket of dirty water either.

I swear they don't, when they don't even have running water, but my husband insists they do.

Of course they don't. It explains why we're such a hepatitis nation.
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timmy!

quote:
Gobbles!

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

I think I read somewhere here MK that you are a doctor?

If so, could you share with us what some of the first symptoms of hepatitis are.

Is it easily contracted?

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
could you share with us what some of the first symptoms of hepatitis are.

Is it easily contracted?

Laura, Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. It's mainly* due to an infection caused by a group of viruses that are named Hepatitis A,B,C,D, and E (more keep mutating and coming up in new forms).

Each of those types has its own route of entry to the body.

Hepatitis A: Mainly through fecal-oral route, meaning that it came from some-one's poo into someone else's food, mainly through not washing hands after using the toilet and before handling food. It causes an acute form of the disease and by acute I mean it lasts less than 6 months and then the patient recovers with a chance of relapse. The virus actually never goes away once it entered the body, but it shows up every once in a while in the form of minor hepatitis attacks.

Hepatitis B: Is a more serious form. It can cause a lifelong infection, cirrhosis (scarring) of the liver, liver cancer, liver failure, and death. One can contract it either through fecal-oral route, or through blood or sexual intercourse or sharing needles (drug addicts).

A&B are the biggest problem in Egypt, but C is also available in abundance; see later why. [Roll Eyes]

Hepatitis C: Is mainly transmitted through blood (products) transfusion and sexual intercourse. Also through bad sterilization of non-disposable medical equipment used in surgical procedures, like endoscopes. It's way more virulent than HIV and is a killer. So far there's no cure for any of those viruses other than medications that boost the immune system, such as Interferon, but it's not the final solution. Anti-viral drugs aren't yet 100% successful in combating the disease. Antibiotics do not help because they can only treat bacteria. Viruses work differently in our body than bacteria.

Hepatitis D: I call this virus a gigolo virus. [Big Grin] It can't live in our body without being accompanied by hepatitis B virus. It is mainly found in the blood of persons infected with virus B.

Hepatitis E: Is transmitted in much the same way as hepatitis A virus.

The most important symptom of hepatitis in general is jaundice . People become yellow all over their body but you can see it clearly on their sclera (the white of the eye) and the inner side of their lips and eyelids.

Other symptoms include fatigue, generalized itching, diarrhea and vomiting, fever, loss of appetite etc..

Interesting articles:

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hcsp/articles/Egypt_06.html

Here's why/how millions of Egyptians died of hepatitis C:

http://whale.to/vaccine/hep.html

Some detailed info about the disease, *including more types of hepatitis:

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/1/39/main.html

foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
i LOVE Egyptian toilets!!

I heard some report years ago about a survey thing was done. They tested bowls of peanuts that was in a local bar on the bar free to eat. (makes people drink more) It was said to contain at least 40 different URINE samples in the peanuts, due to people not washing thier hands after going to the loo YUKKK

I will never eat peanuts in a club/bar again. Not that I go that often anymore but IF I do forget it, no nuts for me!!
Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
it really is disgusting to see people not wash their hands, hello, water as warm as you can stand it, lots of soap and wash vigorously (sp?MK?) for at least a minute. There are all kinds of nasty things in bathrooms, the other thing, take something to dry your hands with, napkins or something and use it to open the bathroom door when you leave, dispose of it upon leaving the bathroom...think of all of the people who touched that doorknob on the way out who DIDn't wash up....uggghhh... [Frown]

When I use our public bathroom at work I always wash my hands then use a paper towel to dry them and then use that to turn off the water and open the door. There's a trash can right there in the hall so I just throw the paper towel in there. I am sure this has to help because I never ever catch any colds.
Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1378634.stm
Laura
Member # 879

Thanks MK that was very useful information.

Another question if you don't mind.

Given the seriousness and the prevalence of hepatitis, just how cautious should one be when living in, or visiting egypt?

I am not trying to scare anyone, but I would guess that 90% or more of us all have eaten, drank, visited medical clinics, etc. that were not up to par as far as the cleanliness factor goes.

You can say use common sense, but gosh, we can't avoid everything here, what's your take on this?

Thanks
Laura

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Given the seriousness and the prevalence of hepatitis, just how cautious should one be when living in, or visiting egypt?

I am not trying to scare anyone, but I would guess that 90% or more of us all have eaten, drank, visited medical clinics, etc. that were not up to par as far as the cleanliness factor goes.

You can say use common sense, but gosh, we can't avoid everything here, what's your take on this?

I was hoping you would ask this very question Laura [Wink]

For Hepatitis A&B you can get vaccinated. That is the best way to do it if you're a regular Egypt visitor in my opinion. I also get the kid vaccinated within the first year after birth. It's three shots within three months of each other.

For Hepatitis C, the best way to avoid it is to avoid unsafe sex (I would say avoid extramarital sex altogether because I never trust condoms. Not only because they would break but also because there's even some doubt about if they really protect against viruses. There's been a debate whether we're telling/knowing the truth about condoms vs viruses. You see, viruses are filterable per definition, which means they are so small that they can penetrate the wall of the condom. Some people say wear at least 3 on top of each other, but that would be more of an episode of the Ninja Turtles than a session of love making don't you think?), and if you have to undergo surgery in Egypt, find a reliable hospital/surgeon. Also get your future partner tested for Hepatitis C before marriage (just as you would get him/her tested for STDs. Hepatitis C *is* an STD)

For the rest of the list, just avoid eating in unhygienic places. The other viruses are not very common in Egypt anyway.

And BTW, not everyone who has jaundice (looks yellow) has Hepatitis. It could be several other conditions. So don't get too paranoid about "yellow" looking people. Just be careful with sharing food and kisses with them.

Here's a more detailed list of preventive methods:

http://health.allrefer.com/health/hepatitis-prevention.html

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Wash Those Hands Posters! Nice!!

Wait for the posters to be downloaded, there are several nice ones.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
.. And one more thing.. Just a general rule of hygiene, keep your hands away from your face. It also minimizes the incidence of acne, let alone gastrointestinal disease.

Okay let me be honest here..

Ummm..

Most of us eat form their noses. [Smile]

If you insist on doing this, which is actually good for your immune system according to some co-freaks, then do it with clean hands.

Have a look: http://in.news.yahoo.com/040411/139/2ci0w.html

Laura
Member # 879

I wonder how many different urine and god knows what else samples they would find if they tested a couple of half pound notes here. I cringe everytime I have to touch money. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
I wonder how many different urine and god knows what else samples they would find if they tested a couple of half pound notes here. I cringe everytime I have to touch money. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Laura, I have known of tourist being advised to wash the money, and they DO.

gives a new angle on money laundering [Big Grin]

Laura
Member # 879

In all fairness I am sure this holds true of most of the world.

Ayisha will you please empty your inbox, I will wash the money. [Big Grin]

Laura
Member # 879

Just another funny thing..well kind of funny...

I have a relative who thinks her chicken is not clean enough to cook, till she has washed the thing for at least a half hour (no exaggeration) with , flour, then salt, then SOAP!! and then more flour and then more salt.

I always pass on her chicken dishes and eat the salads [Smile]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:

Ayisha will you please empty your inbox, I will wash the money. [Big Grin]

deleted a few [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com