EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Great news: H&M to open in Cairo, Egypt (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Great news: H&M to open in Cairo, Egypt
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a lot of people will be happy about that!! [Smile]

H&M to open in Cairo, Egypt

H & M, Hennes & Mauritz, the international fashion retailer, will soon be available to eager followers of fashion in Cairo, Egypt.

Egypt: 15 minutes ago PRESS RELEASE

The store will open on June 5th 2008 in Cairo's exclusive Stars Center mall in the new Citystars development. The expansion of the trendy high street brand is a result of H&M's strategic partnership with M.H. Alshaya, one of the Middle East's leading retailers.

'We are very excited to introduce H&M to the Egyptian market. We believe the brand will rapidly become a popular choice as it has done in other parts of the region. The wide assortment on offer coupled with the introduction of new garments into the store everyday will be something unique in Cairo and will enhance shopper's experience', said Mohammed Al Shaya, chairman of M.H. Alshaya Company.

'The new H&M store at Stars Centre will cover an impressive 3,500 square metres, spreading over two floors.' added Jazz Hayer, Business Director, H&M Middle East.

The fashion retailer will showcase its newest collections including the spring/summer collection. The collection is inspired by new production possibilities and materials that allow for a better function, comfort and fit. These developments have motivated the design team at H&M to create a spring collection of classic favourites, updated and refined with new materials and cuts, and with clothes and accessories enthused by the Orient, Asia and Africa.

Choose from tailored looks such as the suite and shirt and fine-knit classics such as the cardigan, the slipover the V-neck. Alternatively, update your look with retro couture or with simply minimal and well cut perfect details.

The collection is also inspired by a mix of Oriental, Asian and African designs to create a modern ethnic look. 1920's oriental patterns and embellished shirts, tunics and dresses worn with harem pants or linen and khaki separates complete the look and combines fashion history and global street style from all over the world in a single trend.

Shoppers will be spoilt for choice as they choose from an unparalleled selection of accessories including turbans, straw hats, couture scarves, obi belts, wood jewellery, sandals, ballerinas and Mary Janes to name but a few. The men's collection is just as varied and offers caps, line scarves, hankies, canvas bags, sunglasses, canvas belts, leather belts, sneakers, sandals, lace-ups, loafers.

Also available will be H&M's organic collection which utilizes more than 1,500 tons of cotton and features colours and designs inspired by the 60's and 70's.

Founded in 1947, there are over 1,500 H&M stores in 28 countries, is synonymous around the world with affordable, up to date and high quality fashion. The company's collections are created by more than 100 in-house designers.

http://www.ameinfo.com/152974.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I can understand that the Egyptians will be happy that H&M opens in Cairo
But I fell kind of sad that you find all the same shops everywhere in the world,
It is boring also.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well many companies have to expand internationally to bring in more profit and stay competitive.

And I am admitting that I am a frequent shopper at our local H & M stores here! [Smile]

I remember I always had a hard time to find some good-looking quality clothes while I lived in Egypt!!

When IKEA will come to Egypt it will be heaven on earth! [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I understand that the companies do expand internationally to make more profit.
But I feel it is dull and boring and sad to find for example H&M everywhere where I go.
I would rather find some local shops with
products different to what I can find at home.
Many local shops and producers disapear because of these big chains

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mimmi, have you lived in Egypt before?

I do not want to remember the escapades I went through when looking for likable clothes in Egypt ten years ago. Local clothes and shoes simply were not my style.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They still haven't. All collections are Egyptian style, as far as I've seen. So, there ARE shops that we know from Europe, but they sell different clothes. For me, I don't like them, and above that, they don't fit. I'm to tall, my shoulders are to wide, I look slim, but when I try to fit Egyptian clothes they don't fit.
It's strange because when I take a look at the average adult women, most of them are much heavier. But for some strange reason, I am to big...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiger, how do Germans spell it?

It s not reading like in English H and M.

As far as I remember they extend it like hiiii ammmm. Is it right? [Smile]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
They still haven't. All collections are Egyptian style, as far as I've seen.

That's not true, you can find European style collections if you know where to look, and particularly in the bigger malls.
Rojada and Dalydress, for example, have very nice casual and business-style stuff in good quality. You can get basic simple cotton apparel at Safari. And there are many small stores that sell a mixture of ethnic / Egyptian style clothes and more simple styles.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha und M. Hehe or something.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
They still haven't. All collections are Egyptian style, as far as I've seen.

That's not true, you can find European style collections if you know where to look, and particularly in the bigger malls.
Rojada and Dalydress, for example, have very nice casual and business-style stuff in good quality. You can get basic simple cotton apparel at Safari. And there are many small stores that sell a mixture of ethnic / Egyptian style clothes and more simple styles.

In Citystars? I never managed to find something that fitted me, also in the European-style shops. I don't know what exactly is different, but they don't fit...
Above that, the glitter/glamour style which seems to be prefered is not exactly my style. It is possible that I simply don't know the right shops, because I rarely go shopping in Egypt...

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't know the right shops...if they're full of glitter you're definitely in the wrong shop.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Yeah, it must be... I hate shopping. Rich celebrities are using personal shoppers to dress themselve. They know the sizes, they know what looks nice and what's not, they know the personal taste, they know the budget. It should be an excellent idea to have such a person for myself. Never have to wait in front of lockerrooms, never have to expierence that it should have been better to not buy that clothes, a kind of Santa Claus that is bringing outfits whenever I like.
But, the personal shoppers are driving a car as big as I never could effort for myself, so I think it will stay a wish. [Smile]
They drive a Jaguar!!!!

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
I choose clothes for my friends, I should start charging I guess. [Big Grin]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In Citystars? I never managed to find something that fitted me, also in the European-style shops. I don't know what exactly is different, but they don't fit...

I've never been to Citystars, so I don't know.
Yes, sizes can be a problem. Many stores seem to have a very limited selection of sizes; and it can happen that everything is either too big or too small. But the chains I mentioned above usually have a good range of sizes. Mix & Match even has an oversize section now I think.

quote:
Above that, the glitter/glamour style which seems to be prefered is not exactly my style.

I was referring to European style clothes above, that excludes glitter / glamour. [Wink]
Personally, I like the ethnic style, colorful tunics and stuff like that, so shopping in Cairo is fun for me. But I hate the sequined stuff, shiny belts, tacky shoes and skintight Barbie-doll outfits.

quote:
It is possible that I simply don't know the right shops, because I rarely go shopping in Egypt...

I've bought lots of clothes in Cairo since 2003. In the beginning I found it very hard to find anything, most of the stuff was just too tacky for me. But I noticed that over the past years it has become much easier, there is more of a variety of clothes, and also I've become better at knowing where and how to look.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Well Dalia just try to imagine how it was back in the middle/end of the 90's to find some good clothes! [Wink]

I usually went back to my home country to stock up on everything.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
I also have had problems in Europe, because my legs are to long. Since a few years they make trousers for slim women who are tall. They had big sizes, but they are also big in volume! As wide as they are tall, such a thing. The length in American size has to be 36", and that's still harder to find as the 'normal' length is 32".

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also have had problems in Europe, because my legs are to long. Since a few years they make trousers for slim women who are tall. They had big sizes, but they are also big in volume! As wide as they are tall, such a thing. The length in American size has to be 36", and that's still harder to find as the 'normal' length is 32".

sears has size 36" , my brother is 6'4" and needs that size, they have for tall women too ;)sorry i know its in the usa but they do have a website
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what the fuss is about H&M.....I passed one in Nasr city the other day. I did not go into it but made a note to visit it..... [Smile]
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
quote:

sears has size 36" , my brother is 6'4" and needs that size, they have for tall women too ;)sorry i know its in the usa but they do have a website
Thank you, Micky, but it's getting better, because nowdays the shops are beginning to realise that women are getting taller. I have a girl from 15 in my training-group and she is 6'2!!! She is taller as many men! I'm only 5'8, but my legs are out of proportion.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thank you, Micky, but it's getting better, because nowdays the shops are beginning to realise that women are getting taller. I have a girl from 15 in my training-group and she is 6'2!!! She is taller as many men! I'm only 5'8, but my legs are out of proportion. [/QB]

[Big Grin] good luck with then [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am happy that H&M is coming to Cairo. They have some nice clothes but especially before I came here I bought H&M maternity clothes from Finland because like Tigerlily said, it is quite difficult to find clothes you are used to wear.

I would have agreen with Mimmi when I was living in Finland, because there every shop has those same labels and half the people are wearing those same clothes you are.

But it is funny how things change when you live here. You miss the things that are so common in your country.

I also noticed in February that there was supposed to be Body Shop in Citystars but when I got there I found the store closed. Does anyone know did it close or is it just that it's not open yet?

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
A Body Shop is listed with the Maadi City Center (dunno how updated the info is though). Check it out next time!!

http://maadicitycentre.com/en/default.asp

Oh I just saw a store was also announced for City Stars - please take a look at the following article:

July 2007

Shoppers in Bliss
Better brands, reasonable prices and more convenient shopping come with the opening of CityStars’ Phase II

By Hassan Hassan

http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=7573

Maybe it's worth to contact the shopping centers directly.

Anyhow I am happy that things seem to have improved.

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
A Body Shop is listed with the Maadi City Center (dunno how updated the info is though). Check it out next time!!

http://maadicitycentre.com/en/default.asp

Not open in Maadi yet..............
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally!!

H&M makes it debut into the Egyptian market

By Safaa Abdoun
First Published: June 6, 2008

It was like a dream come true for shopaholics in Cairo. Just when everyone was thinking, “Could City Stars get any better?” it blew us all away and added one more international brand to its collection, which is making Egyptians more and more fashion-conscious everyday.

Hennes & Mauritz (better known as H&M) arrived in Cairo Thursday morning opening its doors to a mass of customers who gathered around the store desperately waiting for the clock to tick twelve noon.

“I can’t believe H&M is here!” exclaimed Mai Salama, one of the many young fashonistas waiting by the door, “I can’t wait to go in there and check out the new collection and those prices they are talking about.”

The Swedish clothing store is known worldwide for offering fashionable clothes for women, men, teenagers and children at relatively inexpensive prices.

The Cairo branch is a 35,000 square-meter store where you can find any casual clothing item you can think of. Starting with a clothing line for new-born babies, everything is available at H&M, from jeans to smart business suits to pajamas, beach wear and lingerie. In addition, as a special treat for our curvy ladies, there is a special section with UK size 16 and above, because at H&M “Big is Beautiful” with their BB line.

An exclusive launching party was held on Wednesday night. The lucky ones who received invitations enjoyed a 20 percent discount on all items available as well as listening to the live tunes of DJ Sonqiue.

“I’ve never shopped in Egypt so it’s great to have good stores here,” said Dolly Gohar, a student at the American University in Cairo. “The setting was just like abroad and Sonique was perfect. I didn’t expect to find such a collection with very reasonable prices,” she added.

While the majority of the customers present were enjoying their time at H&M, a few were dissatisfied with the crowded store and 30-minute waiting lines at the cashier and fitting rooms.

“The shop is extremely crowded and disorganized. I couldn’t try anything on as everything was scattered in a messy way all over the place,” said Zeinab Samieh, a teacher’s assistant.

The international chain has been brought to Egypt by M.H. Alshaya, a Kuwaiti firm licensing H&M’s Middle East stores. The company runs other international brands in Egypt such as Next and Starbucks.

H&M is located at City Stars, Phase 2.

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=14251

yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great finally a shop i like to buy clothes in.

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avali
Member # 14242

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder when IKEA will finally open..I cant wait..Boring to bring my stuffs always frm my country!Dont u hv some info on the Tigerlily?
K

Posts: 76 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went on Thursday to the grand opening, and gotta tell ya...was not impressed !
There were a gazillion people, throwing clothes all over the place, couldn't try anything on, even if ya found something that you might like, and the prices were totally crazy, IMHO.

highly disorganized disaster.
walked around for bout 15 minutes, then got the hell outa dodge.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I were there later Thursday evening - surprisingly easy shopping, not so many people I expected. Maybe they had all been waiting to get in around noon? I didn't have to line to the fitting rooms too long and there was no crowd when went to pay. Clothes seem to be the same price as in Europe so that doesn't make the clothes SO cheap in Egypt as they are in some expensive European country. But the main thing is found many beautiful clothes to buy [Smile]
Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

jean_bean posted too the same time - I forgot from my posting that what made my shopping a bit difficult and frustrating was that everything was disorganized as the article said but what can you do...a really lot of people who leave clothes where ever they please and too little staff perhaps. I've always used to take clothes back to where I took them.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Egyptian customers have a different mentality - at least as long as their in their own country. Everything gets thrown around, the staff of the store will take care of the mess so they seem to think .... [Roll Eyes]

Off topic put up to this day I remember the one wedding where all the Egyptian guests stormed to the buffet, no lining up, people were sticking their forks and directly eating from the platters there, some of them even used their hands. I was so shocked, no manners!! [Eek!]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Avali:
I wonder when IKEA will finally open..I cant wait..Boring to bring my stuffs always frm my country!Dont u hv some info on the Tigerlily?
K

This article is three years old but I am sure the info is still up to date.

IKEA in Egypt

http://www.businesstodayegypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=5985

Although maybe there is hope out there:

Al Futtaim Group seeks to open new markets, double retail business

Source: BI-ME , Author: BI-ME staff
Posted: 11-02-2007

"...We have the territorial rights for Qatar and Oman and are presently working on the practicality of entering the Egyptian market," he told Gulf News.

"Qatar will open in the next two years, but Egypt is harder owing to possible obstacles over import regulations..."

http://www.bi-me.com/main.php?id=7837&t=1&c=34&cg=

Strangeways.
Member # 14842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strangeways.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now tights are cool as M&S launches high-tech, air-conditioned pantyhose

It is one of the great dilemmas of summer.

Should one wear tights and overheat, or go bare-legged and risk blinding the world with a pair of shimmering white shins?

Now textile experts say they have come up the perfect solution - pantyhose with an inbuilt cooling system.

The tights are particularly sheer, which adds flattering colour to the legs while keeping a bare look. And they have no seams on the toe so that they can be worn with sandals..

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JinJin
Member # 14821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JinJin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at H&M on Thursday night around 8pm and it was a total zoo.

Hundreds of Egyptian women pushing and grabbing, it was chaos.

I have a question, what is it with women taking their screaming kids and husbands/boyfriends along on a shopping trip ? I hate having to be held up because some guy is leaning all over the racks or decides to block an aisle.

What is up with all these guys in women's shops ? There were even male workers in H&M entering the change room area, that is just just weird. Also noticed that in most women's stores, most of the assistants are guys, even in lingerie stores. I hate walking into the shop and they are draped all over the counter giving you the eye over, it is just creepy.

Back to the H&M saga. After an hour of pushing and fighting, I finally found a few pieces of clothing (what was left on the racks anyway). A 30 minute wait for the change room. Of course nothing fit so stuck my head out and asked for different sizes. Forget that !

Another line up to pay so I took all my items and told the cashier I wanted different sizes. I thought they would go get them for me but was told "no, go get them yourself". By this this time with the combination of the crush of pushing people, screaming kids, no airconditioning and music at full volume I was ready to either have a hissy fit or faint.

I just bought everything and will go to the tailor this week and have it all altered.

Bottom line: crappy shopping experience, crappy staff, extremely disorganized, and did I forget to mention ...... just crappy.

Posts: 83 | From: Egypt | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Interesting, was there about the same time but my experience was quite positive even though it would have been nice to shop in less crowded and noisy place - but I noticed no pushing...no lines to fitting room I used etc. Finding your size was a bit hard because it was disorganized but eventually you bumped into a right size somewhere in the shop.

I don't know why women take their guys just to hang around there - we do almost always shop together, both looking for clothes (either for me or him too) and if I need different size it is very handy hubby can go and get it for me (maybe not possible in the fitting _rooms_ like H&M's) and I don't have to put on and take off my clothes million times and run back and forth (especially if it is hot like it was in H&M). This time I was there by myself.

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
Originally posted by JinJin:

Bottom line: crappy shopping experience, crappy staff, extremely disorganized, and did I forget to mention ...... just crappy.

After reading how people think H & M are so wonderful I hesitated to add any thing here.

But I really find their clothes a load of rubbish...which ever country I have visited and there is an H & M shop. The clothes are badly made, and once washed are just like a rag. Most shops are not organized and sizing is unbelievable.... [Roll Eyes]
Don't waste your money by paying extra tax on the imported clothes. There are plenty of other stores where you can buy better quality goods.......BUT you will still get the creepy male perverts that most ladies shops employ......don't get me started on them.... [Mad]

Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, was everyone at City Stars on Thursday?? [Wink] There should have been a meet up or something!

Actually I have to concur with Pink Cherry here, I think H&M is total crap, I have only bought one shirt there and never again. The fabric seems to be poor quality, the clothes shrink and and the fit is definitely not made for anyone with any kind of chest. Also really the pricing seems to be very random. Some things will be very expensive and others very cheap with no noticeable difference.

Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist Cake Girl:
Wow, was everyone at City Stars on Thursday?? [Wink] There should have been a meet up or something!

Actually I have to concur with Pink Cherry here, I think H&M is total crap, I have only bought one shirt there and never again. The fabric seems to be poor quality, the clothes shrink and and the fit is definitely not made for anyone with any kind of chest. Also really the pricing seems to be very random. Some things will be very expensive and others very cheap with no noticeable difference.

Yup,the quality is quite crap,but all is maybe about he novelty of the store,specially in Egypt were there's not much variety for Western style fashion.

But hey...i cannot believe this:
<no airconditioning >
[Eek!]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
I went on Thursday to the grand opening, and gotta tell ya...was not impressed !
There were a gazillion people, throwing clothes all over the place, couldn't try anything on, even if ya found something that you might like, and the prices were totally crazy, IMHO.

highly disorganized disaster.
walked around for bout 15 minutes, then got the hell outa dodge.

the quality in H&M is not good at all.
I dont see what the fuss is about.

[Confused]

The fabrics and finishing are bad and not on the same level at all as other high street stores like Topshop, Miss Selfidge, Debenhams.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok you guys...........
where do you find clothes at reasonable prices for someone who is not a "skinny-minny" ??
any ideas?

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

I agree partly about the crap clothes - you need to know what to buy. Since I have been working in fashion and sewing myself too I can tell quality. I also remember bying crap from H&M some ten years ago (well just some t-shirts) and then I didn't shop there for years. When tunikas (dunno is that an English word for it, looks like this http://www.ellos.fi/misc/ProductZoom.aspx?ImageSource=ells_1026355.jpg )
became fashionable I noticed H&M had great selection of them. On Thursday I just bought tunikas, one pair of maternity trousers only. I have quite many H&M clothes and do wear them often, wash too and they look like new.

One reason I also shop now in H&M is that they have OK maternity clothes. Alchemist also said about sizes - before pregnancy I had more than my share of breasts and now when I'm almost 29 weeks pregnant I've got some more [Eek!] [Frown] I still find nice clothes from H&M that fit well.

Mostly I would shop somewhere else (especially back "home") because I hate that everyone has the same clothes and that is the case in Europe with H&M.

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
ok you guys...........
where do you find clothes at reasonable prices for someone who is not a "skinny-minny" ??
any ideas?

In City Stars you can find and Ann Harvey shop. They have better quality clothes for the 'Not so skinny person'. Also in Maddi mall....the one with Carrefour Next..... have opened a store. Their clothes cater for a wide range of sizes and wash well. Next door to that is Evans. Not as big as Next but again you can get larger sizes These are UK based stores/franchises so there is import duty slapped on the clothes which can appear pricey
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
I walked in to the Ann Harvey shop at City Stars.
Looked at a nice white blouse and it had a friggen price tag of 1500LE...thats right...not a misprint - 1500LE !!!
My girlfriend was looking at a blazer - plain - nothing fancy - linen....3000LE.
Almost laughed right out loud, then thought better bout making a scene.
I can buy a freaken used car for that much money !Pricey would be the understatement of the century.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I walked in to the Ann Harvey shop at City Stars.
Looked at a nice white blouse and it had a friggen price tag of 1500LE...thats right...not a misprint - 1500LE !!!
My girlfriend was looking at a blazer - plain - nothing fancy - linen....3000LE.
Almost laughed right out loud, then thought better bout making a scene.
I can buy a freaken used car for that much money !Pricey would be the understatement of the century.

[Eek!]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I with Harankash... H&M is a shop full of tat. Nothing appeals to me in there.

I am just over the moon that there is a Replay in shitty stars... fabulous shop [Smile]

Monsoon and Next, I have to admit they cater well for me...

Kean is nice and quite IKEA-ish...

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i own a shop in mohandiseen ,all clothes are from france and paris ans special discounts for es members so if u r interested u can pm me and go have a look

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I know a lot of people will be happy about that!! [Smile]

H&M to open in Cairo, Egypt

H & M, Hennes & Mauritz, the international fashion retailer, will soon be available to eager followers of fashion in Cairo, Egypt.

Hourrray, Youpppi, great news indeed!!
all the problems of Egypt will be solved,
heck, even "There will be bread"

Hallelujah, praise the lord!
Ahmedak ya rab!
Toda elohim! (just for the sake of political correctness)

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by egyptian7:
special discounts for es members

Now that sounds good although I did hear these term 'special discounts' quite often when I used to go shopping in Egypt! [Wink]
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TL its a legal shop with a price list so i am not selling on the streets

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
TL its a legal shop with a price list so i am not selling on the streets or ripping u ,there is a price list 4 every person whether egyptian or foreigner

--------------------
islam

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by egyptian7:
TL its a legal shop with a price list so i am not selling on the streets or ripping u ,there is a price list 4 every person whether egyptian or foreigner

Does it mean you differentiate between your customers? Well then I would like to get the Egyptian price AND a special discount! Mashy?? [Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com