EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » According to aromatherapy, what is the most relaxing scent?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: According to aromatherapy, what is the most relaxing scent?
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to aromatherapy, what is the most relaxing scent?

Aromatherapy is the practice of using essential plant oils to improve one's psychological and physical well-being. There's little, if any, scientific support for this therapy, but some people find comfort in using natural scents. Aromatherapists and related businesses seem to have slightly different ideas on which essential oils to use for specific ailments.

One scent that kept coming up in our searches as being very relaxing is lavender. This flowering plant has been used for centuries in medicinal concoctions. It's a common ingredient in products aimed at relaxation and stress relief, such as pillows, bath oils, and lotions. Lavender is also a popular scent to use on clothing so the smell lingers with you for long-term soothing. Other frequently recommended scents for stress relief and relaxation include chamomile, ylang ylang, clary sage, bergamot, frankincense, and sandalwood.

However, the ultimate relaxing scent will vary from person to person. Aromatherapists point out that a person's own memories and associations with an aroma can have a positive or negative effect. If a despised teacher always smelled of lavender, you may find the scent unappealing. So you might start with your personal favorite scents when looking for a relaxing aroma.

Lavender is my favorite, which one is yours? [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ylang ylang [Smile]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Lavender too, especially the essential oil. Rosemary is also lovely. Recently, I bought 10ml of absolute rose (£10 for 10 ml, but worth every penny.) Artificial chemicals or scents are horrible to me and cause a headache, if exposed to them. Our garden has lots of lavender, which is gorgeous to brush past.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Ylang Ylang Penny? [Confused]

I also love sage

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I frequenly use different mixtures for different things. Lavendar is a good one, love the smell, but its also good for the skin, heals burns etc

Lavendar with grapefruit for travelling / jet lag

Geranium for the skin, together with Clary Sage and Bergamot.

Eucalyptus in winter and for general cleaning around the house, sometimes mixed with lemon or Neroli.

they are my favourites, but I use others too

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sandalwood and ylang ylang.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ylang Ylang is an aphrodisiac isn't it? Smells great though - its quite sweet!

Lavender is my fave too!

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanilla is my favorite. Vanilla mixed with lavender is nice, too.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salexian
Member # 13086

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salexian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time you are cooking lamb, try spiking it with sprigs of lavender instead of rosemary. Magic! Or, if making kebabs, thread lamb onto spikes of lavender or rosemary.

The plant oil I like most is probably sandalwood.

--------------------
He who smiles rather than rages is always the stronger.

Posts: 161 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by salexian:
Next time you are cooking lamb, try spiking it with sprigs of lavender instead of rosemary. Magic! Or, if making kebabs, thread lamb onto spikes of lavender or rosemary.

The plant oil I like most is probably sandalwood.

I love lamb and i am ashamed to admit that i thought lavender was only a color and artificial scent, not a spice for food. It just makes it smell good or taste better too?

The most relaxing scent is that of a woman after showering with Irish Spring (soap). [Razz]

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can make lavendar jam and biscuits too
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salexian
Member # 13086

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salexian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lavender biscuits - yes! And flavour the cream for a Victoria sponge with lavendar (not too much). Lavender jam is a new one, though. I'll Google for a recipe, if you don't have one. Bang goes the diet (again).

--------------------
He who smiles rather than rages is always the stronger.

Posts: 161 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Ive got some recipes at home, so wont be back on line until Monday, sorry

Used to be able to buy lavendar jam at Culpeppers, but Sheffield's branch closed.

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
there is lavendar honey too:

at www.culpepper.co.uk

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com