EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Book-Hunting in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Book-Hunting in Cairo
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Book-Hunting in Cairo

July 22, 2007
Kim

Was searching for a DK Eyewitness Guide to Turkey which sent me on a Scavenger-like hunt across Cairo's bookshops. I did chance upon some new gems in addition to some of my old favourites.

Thought I would just do a quick listing and brief review of the bookshops I like in Cairo which may help you out if you are here searching for something. Do remember, I was focussed on travel books. Fiction titles in Cairo I find very expensive compared to India and they take time to come into this country by the time they are cleared by the censor. I get my fiction fix from India via whoever is visiting.

1. The AUC bookshop on the AUC main campus is my absolute favourite. I spend at least 1 day each month at this location checking out their new titles & re-browsing some old ones. The AUC-(American University in Cairo) has its own printing press and they bring out an amazing array of Egypt related books written by Subject Matter Experts. Coffee Table Books, history, travel, religion, jewelery, fiction, Egyptian literature, architecture .... the variety of topics they cover is endless. Highly recommend that you visit this bookshop if you are looking for a book related to Egypt.

They have a second outlet in Zamalek too, which I have not yet visited. They stock other (Non-AUC press) titles too as well as International Newspapers. They have a very large collection of Lonely Planet guidebooks, but don't stock DK. They are quite accommodating about ordering books & calling you when something you want has come into the store.

Tip 1 : They have a sale twice a year, where some books are sold at huge discounts but everything else is on at least 20% discount.

Tip 2 : Use this excuse to see the wonderful AUC grounds and palace which has been converted to the Administration block. Carry some form of photo id which you will need to leave at the gate if you are not a student.

Tip 3 : If you are planning on spending more than a week in Cairo (as a tourist or an expat moving into this country) and have more than a passing interest in sight seeing, definitely pick up Lesley Lababidi's - Cairo - The Family Guide This is the 2006 edition. The 2007 edition may be on its way. I've used my copy so much, its actually gone soft and has dog ears. (Anyone who knows me, knows I like my books to be crisp to the touch - always)

2. Diwan Bookstore on 26th July Street in Zamalek, is a favourite with Expats for good reason. They have a wonderful cross section of books. A section dedicated to books in French and German and a very large section of books for children and a separate one for teenagers. If you are looking for Children's books with an Egyptian theme (for gifting back home) this is the place to head to.

They have a little in-house cafe which serves lovely coffee and light snacks. Books from the store are not supposed to be read at the Cafe, but they have a section of books and magazines for those who want to read while sipping coffee.

3. The BookSpot is a lovely bookstore on Road No. 9 in Maadi run by my friends Sigrun and Mandy. This is a bookstore which makes you feel completely at home. There's complementary tea or coffee on offer and the best part of a visit to this shop is to catch a chat with either Mandy or Sigrun. You can even buy and order books from them online and collect them at your leisure or have them delivered to you. They take back second hand books and sell them at a discounted rate which is a boon for speed readers.

The atmosphere here is extremely friendly. Many disoriented/culturally shocked Expat women have found solace, friendship and like minded souls through this shop and its owners.

4. Kotob Khan is another gem on Lasilky Road in Maadi. They were recently featured on Al Jazeera TV for their service to the community. They organise documentary nights, book of the month readings, debates and other events, some of them in collaboration with Pen Temple Pilots. They have a wide collection of English and Arabic books and some travel books among others.

5. Volume 1 is a nooky little bookshop located off Al Sawra street in Mohandaseen & behind Victoria College in Maadi. The Mohandaseen shop has an extensive collection of Travel books, a large collection of AUC press publications, childrens books and fiction. They have a large stationary and gift section too.

6. Librairies Renaissance also on al Sawra street stocks only French publications but boasts a very large collection of fiction, children's books, cookbooks and other topics all in French.

7. Adam Bookshop at the Maadi Grand Mall in Maadi is a really tight small spaced bookstore. They have a decent collection of books, that spill all over the store so there's not much space to walk around. If I understand right, they were one of the first bookshops in Cairo to cater primarily to expats.

8. Virgin Megastores has a very large extensive collection of music and movies but I wouldn't say the same for their books. Yes, they have all the popular stuff but if you are looking for something just a little out of the way then this is not the place to look. They do not take orders. (given the size of their chain, I did expect them to do this) Can't blame them, they are only following a "big retail business" rule - stock fast moving items only. If you are looking for bestsellers in any genre you can find it here. But the store completely lacks the intimate feel of all the other bookstores in this list. You are treated as a commodity not a customer.

In the other bookstores the personal touch with the shop assistants, those manning the counter and in some cases the owners themselves makes a book lover want to keep returning to those stores. The shop assistants and the owners are happy to discuss the merits and demerits of a book and recommend further or alternate reading. At Virgin, they look up their computer to see if the book you want is in stock or not. That is the extent of Customer interaction. Lets not start talking about service. Ok, end rant. I like chain stores like CarreFour and Spinneys for my groceries but for my books I like a personal touch. I have nothing against chain bookstores. I think Crossword in India has managed to balance the chain aspects vis a vis the personal touch very well. Although Strand is still a personal favourite and I have my little nooks in every city I've lived in.

9. Alfa Markets especially the one in Zamalek do stock a fair amount of books and at some point had a good collection of DK Eyewitness Guides. But when I checked last, it looked like they were having a clearance sale of all their books.

Prices are almost the same across these bookshops with a few disparities. But they are not large enough to warrant a trip to another part of town unless you are planning to buy in bulk.

I did not find the book I was looking for anywhere. Finally I turned back to the last resort Amazon.com The books were available at a discount but the shipping rates are killing me !

http://desicritics.org/2007/07/22/004145.php

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have yet to make it to AUC, but I have gone to the Bookspot in Maadi, and they have a way to go online and order books delivered right to your door. www.bookspotonline.com
And they even will deliver way out to 6th of October.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want rare/second-hand books, this is the place to go:

Cairo's Gold Mine of Used Books Still Offers Treasures
By Dr. Maged El-Bialy

The Soor El-Azbackaya zone is a little known bookseller area in Attaba near downtown Cairo. Almost all subjects in all languages can be found within the hundreds of ceiling-high stacks of books inside the small metal shacks run by various used booksellers. The site stretches over 200 meters of paved concrete right in the heart of the Attaba discount shopping area. Upon this concrete plateau are perhaps 90 or so metal kiosks each containing a unique and specialized collection of books, newspapers and magazines.

The site is a little known area in Cairo where foreigners and Egyptians find used, rare, hard-to-get or specialized printed material. For example, a tremendous amount of books can be found on the subject of Egyptian antiquities, all at their usual below market discounted prices. As well, many of the shops feature top magazines (fashion, travel, music, business, etc) from all over the world including Japan, Germany, France and America. If you are on the hunt for a certain textbook or cheap computer manual, the Soor El-Azbackaya area will probably fill your needs. The site is also a gold mine for rare and hard-to-get books in many languages, including old Arabic newspapers covering prominent Egyptian events from decades past. "Sadek Library" which is run by Mr. Ahmad Sadek says that he has the first issue of the public newspaper " AL Ahram" and he sells it for 50 Egyptian pounds (US$12.50).

As I walked between the shops, I found one with an interesting name "Al Raheek EL- Makhtoom". I stopped and asked the man working there what that name meant. He said that the kiosk was named after a book written by an old Indian writer. The name was what that Indian writer called Prophet Mohammed. Shendy Ibrahim, manager of the Al-Raheek El-Makhtoom shop, told me the history of the area. Shendy said, "First this book area was in its present place but was very disorganized and it was a mess. During the construction of the Metro subway system, the government told us to move to the Hussein Hospital near Al-Azhar. Following the completion of the subway system, we moved back to this location (Attaba) but under a new organizational system set forth by the government. They supplied us with these nice shops, which as you see are really small, metal kiosks, and set forth rules and regulations by which we can sell these books. Now any person can easily and quickly find the used book they are looking for."

Shendy’s shop contains an interesting collection of used Medical textbooks in English, as well as Engineering and Computer books. Shendy explains, "Our books come from various sources. We sometimes buy old private libraries that their owners want to get rid of. We sell to the public 75% cheaper than other libraries outside Soor El Azbakeya. We especially attract a lot of foreigners looking for unique books on antiquities or old literary novels. I can also make a barter deal with some. They give me their old novels and pay about L.E. 2 and get another one from the shop. Often they take my mobile number and ask me to search for certain books they are wanting." Mr. Shendy has been in this job for 8 years trading, buying and selling thousands of used and new books.

Within the stacked piles of books at the Al-Raheek El-Makhtoom kiosk I found some interesting rare collections. For example, a rare 1972 translation of the "1001 Arabian Nights" in four volumes can be bought for 312 LE. It was in perfect condition. A six-volume set of Winston Churchill’s 1954 edition of "The History of WWII" can be purchased for 150 LE. I was amazed when I read the name of the author, Winston Churchill. I also found books dating back to the 1800’s. I even found an old "Encyclopedia Britannica".

The Attaba bookseller area also offers an interesting cultural blend whereby one seller might specialize in Koran and religious books, and just a few kiosks away sits young teenagers selling the latest fashion magazines from Europe. Another kiosk sells only computer magazines, most of them still containing the freebie CD-roms, which comes with the publication.

The bookseller area is open from 10 am – 9 p.m. daily. Tourist peak time is from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 9p.m. During the evenings, the nearby Attaba area is bustling with people but the bookseller zone is always more refined and there is always easy access to view and browse the selections without a crowd. On Fridays, most of the kiosks are closed until later in the afternoon after prayers. The used bookseller site is easily reached via the underground Metro subway system. Just get out at the Attaba stop and walk up the stairs. All the kiosks are right there about 20 meters away.

The Soor El Azbakeya area is really a rich area full of rare books, as well as new ones. This area often passes unnoticed by tourists who come to visit Egypt which is only a couple of minutes away from El Azhar and Khan El Khalili. So, if you are a book lover this place is not to be missed.
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/antiquebooks.htm

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I`ve only been once to the AUC bookstore in the Zamalek branch but was amazed at the fantastic collection of Egypt related books.My next time there will set more time apart just for going thru many more titles there. [Smile]
Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaykum Newcomer

Great link, ta.

[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for this interesting topic [Wink]
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
If you want rare/second-hand books, this is the place to go:

Cairo's Gold Mine of Used Books Still Offers Treasures
By Dr. Maged El-Bialy

The Soor El-Azbackaya zone is a little known bookseller area in Attaba near downtown Cairo. Almost all subjects in all languages can be found within the hundreds of ceiling-high stacks of books inside the small metal shacks run by various used booksellers. The site stretches over 200 meters of paved concrete right in the heart of the Attaba discount shopping area. Upon this concrete plateau are perhaps 90 or so metal kiosks each containing a unique and specialized collection of books, newspapers and magazines.
<SNIP>
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/antiquebooks.htm

I can vouch for that! An amazing thing happened a couple of weeks ago - a friend of mine had been looking for a particular book for ages, and had asked me to get it in the UK - I hadn't managed to.
We went to Attaba book stall place (its right outside the metro) and were looking in one of the shacks (not for that book, it never occurred to us to look for it there, just browsing) when I happened to glance down and saw a book called something like 'statistics of random processes', I then glanced up to the top shelf and saw a the novel she had been looking for for so long. We couldn't believe it. [Eek!]
The selection is amazing but rather random and to find anything specific you would have to be quite lucky - though I suppose once you get to know the place you would know which sellers are likely to have what books.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com