EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Alexandria: How to save an elephant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alexandria: How to save an elephant
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How to save an elephant

Kareema was chained for 35 years, but is now free most of the time, says Janet Thomas, left, who has set up a committee with Nellie Petrovich to improve the zoo in Egypt. Picture: Paul McGovern

City Beach woman Janet Thomas is launching a campaign to better the lives of animals in a run-down zoo in Egypt.

She has already persuaded keepers to unchain an elephant, Kareema, she says was tethered for show in a concrete cage for 35 years.

Janet, a teacher, said she was appalled by the state of the animals and the conditions they lived in at the zoo in Alexandria.

She was teaching English at a language school when friends told her about the zoo.

In its heyday, Janet said, the zoo had been regarded as one of the best in Egypt.

But now, it was decaying.

"None of the keepers has been trained, the job is passed down from keeper to keeper and they muddle their way through."

Janet, said keepers relied on tips to supplement their wages, and keeping the animals tethered near the front of the cage ensured they were there for visitors to see.

"Rich people do not go there and a lot of locals think it is cruel, but no one does anything," she said

"We cannot alleviate the big problem, but we can alleviate some of the stress and suffering.

"I used to go to the market and buy fruit for the chimps.

"One we call Lulu is 48 years old and has been at this zoo in these conditions for 30 years.

"Her favourite food is grapes, which I used to take her once a week.

"The absolute delight and happiness she showed when I gave her grapes was a bigger joy for me than I think for her. She is a beautiful, gentle old girl."

Janet, who worked as a relief teacher before travelling overseas, said she was setting up an incorporated association to raise money to support work at the zoo.

Before she left Egypt she set up links with an animal welfare group in Cairo run by a lawyer and his English wife.

"Kareema is now off her chain five days a week and is tethered only at night," Janet said.

"We want to get her off the cement and to have a bit of dirt so she can give herself a dust bath."

http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/20070721/news/001.shtml

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com