EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » International schools or local school?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: International schools or local school?
ummdean
Member # 12290

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ummdean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one is for Expats.
Those of you who moved to Egypt with school age children, did you all put your children to International schools or did any put their children into the local egyptian schools and how have they settled? Any tips??
We are hoping to move to cairo this year and our youngest child is almost 11, he understands and can speak arabic, but hasn't learnt to read or write it yet!
Has anyone got any personal experience of my dilemma?
I look forward to your thoughts on this.
Thanks in advance!!

Posts: 39 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
only Egyptian children get into state schools umm dean

If he is 11 and only speaks it he needs international school but be careful to chose a good one. Many are not.
Good luck with the move [Smile]

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to my knowledge there are three types of schools: state schools, language schools and international schools.
Foreigners can go to language schools (they can get an exemption for Arabic/Religion/Social Studies)
Language schools are much cheaper than international schools, most children are Egyptian.
If your child has an Egyptian birthcertificate, your child needs the first year 0 % in Ar/Rel/Soc, the second year 25% and the third year 50% of the marks. (that is what I remember)
My children went first (8 years ago) to the Sint Josephschool (Hurghada) but the quality of teaching and knowledge of the teachers was not good.
Then to another language school (as Egyptians) but the Arabic was too difficult. I had also difficulties about the way they have to study, (just learn what is in the book, do not ask questions, do not find themselves solutions).
They then changed to international school.
This coming school year we (my 3 children and I) will be moving to Cairo, our eldest son (almost 19) will do his last AS/A level exams (British system) and inshallah will go to university the second semester. Our second son (almost 17) will do his IGCSE/AS/A exams this year in Port Said School in Zamalek. Our daughter (11 years) will also go there, but she will go to PRE-IG (year 7). This is a language school, but preparing for IGCSE. She will go in the school with her Dutch nationality and doesn't need to do the Arabic exams. Although she will follow the lessons. We will have to pay for her LE 7000 for the year. Application LE 80.
We have rented an apartment in Sheikh Zayed City, and I am planning to drive them to school.

BTW the IGCSE diploma is of more value in Egypt and Europe than the American diploma.

Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Cairo you have a lot of choice and I would go for a good language school if finances are an issue or an international school if you can afford it. I live in Luxor and had no choice but to send my daughter to a language school. I was disappointed with the Arabic support she gets. Her reading and writing hardly seem to have improved at all.

She is going on to a correspondence course with a Britsh college when she is 16.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlebev
Member # 13788

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlebev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats nice to know about the schools any idea of how much a year it would cost me to send my 2 children ( both english ) to a really good school in egypt hurghada mainly
Posts: 197 | From: hertford england | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*El Gouna International School: application fee: $1000 per child, not refundable. Reception: $3675, Y1-6: $4200, Y7-9: $4725, Y10-11: $5250, Y12: $6300. Second child: 10% discount, Third: 25% discount. Busfees: LE 2200 per child. Bookfees: rec-Y4: $150, Y5-6: $180, Y7-9: $250, Y10-11: $260. That is the latest information I have.
I have no information about fees from other schools in Hurghada, but I think they must be cheaper.
Here are some of the other schools:
*New school: Sunrise (don't know if this is a language school or American system) somewhere on this forum they are looking for personnel.
*Rajac, language school, they will start American, but I don't know when.
*German school
*French school
*El Geel el Saed school: language school, but mostly Egyptian children.
*St Joseph school: my children went there, but teachers were not really qualified then.
Good luck!

Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
BTW 1$ = approx LE 5,7.

Most schools are closed on Friday and Saturday. Some government schools only on Friday. St Joseph school is closed on Friday and Sunday.
Most schools will start this year around the 15th of September.

Teyna
Member # 13965

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teyna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, does anyone happen to have contact details for St Joseph School in Hurghada??? Been trying all sorts of different phrases to search but nothing comes up.

Thanks

Posts: 32 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlebev
Member # 13788

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlebev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gm44 thanks for the advice but what is the prices in english pounds sorry for being a pain in the bum..................... teyna i will get phone number for u tomorrow
Posts: 197 | From: hertford england | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know but the fact they have a dollar sign in front might be a clue

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlebev
Member # 13788

Rate Member
dollar sign not a pound sign i aint got a clue about converting currency
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
@ Teyna: St Joseph school tel: (+20)(0)65 3462018 (found it @ www.egyptyellowpages.com.eg ) But I can't recommend that school. The teacher of year 4 didn't know how to pronounce the simple word "stone"! My son and another child told him the right pronunciation, but he told them they were wrong!
Teyna
Member # 13965

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teyna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GM44, thanks for that. I'm looking for work over there, not to send a child. Thanks for the tip though!
Posts: 32 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com