EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Bank Account Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bank Account Question
michaelc
Member # 14194

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaelc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to Caoro in January, hoping to quickly find employment as an EFL teacher.
What is the situation regarding the opening of a new bank account in Egypt?
Can I open one as soon as I get there - using my hostel address?
Can I open one on a tourist visa?
Also how long can I extend a tourist visa for?
Can I get one year extensions easily?
I do not want to rely upon any school to get me a work permit.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Take your passport down the bank and away you go. They like to see a credit card as well to prove you are who you are. You can open it on a tourist visa.

Here's a discussion on the subject on an expat forum. http://tinyurl.com/22pzwf

You can go to the mogamma and get a tourist visa for a year - and don't forget to get a reentry visa as well before you leave Egypt again otherwise your one year visa is defunct - http://tinyurl.com/28qbjs

The tourist visa categorically states 'no work allowed' (or permitted or something like that) on it. I am given to understand many people do work with one, that's for you and your conscience to decide [Wink]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaelc
Member # 14194

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaelc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this mean that I have to leave the country in order to get a one year extension?
Sorry, but could you explain a little more on this subject?
And thanks for the above reply, looking forward to coming to Cairo!!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaelc
Member # 14194

Rate Member
Ah, got it!
If I wish to leave the country during the period of my visa extension, I need a re-entry visa.
Obviously the vissa are not the multiple entry type.
Thanks.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, what it means is, if you get a one year visa, and then leave the country (before its up) WITHOUT a reentry visa already, then your one year visa is invalidated and you'll have to get another one to come back in again. If you want to come and go, get a reentry visa - its only 61LE for 6 months, you need to get it BEFORE you leave Egypt.
At the end of the day buying both a one year tourist visa (91LE) and a 6 month reentry visa (61LE) in Egypt is cheaper than just getting the multitrip visa in the UK (£18) and takes approx the same amount of time in terms of queuing and hanging about.
Extensions - I'm given to understand are easy, but I haven't done that yet.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com