EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Book Club

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Book Club
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 5 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's been a few discussions recently about books on here, and I know a couple of us have discussed book clubs off-line, so I was wondering whether anyone would be interested in starting an ES book club?

I figure we could choose a book a month, something to do with Egypt, whether fact or fiction, or by an Egyptian author.

We could have a single thread for it and call it something like "Book Club: August 2007: Blah blah book".

We could come up with a list of books and then vote for the one to do each month. We would have to try and find internationally available books. And they would need to be available in English translation and we'd probably need to fix up the titles a couple of months in advance to give everyone chance to track down the book.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-tabari
Member # 13941

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-tabari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've suggested this before a number of times, no one is interested.

Egypt is for the "promise" of love and sex, not for learning.

Hell when I get over there its for the Alexandrian beach and basically being roughed over by the family's little girls. I still have bruises from girls and surf!

Posts: 36 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of this oldbag, but the difficulty with this is not just tracking down the books, but that many of the good books on Egypt are expensive for some of us living in Egypt to buy on a regular basis and not everyone has easy access to libraries. If e-books could be found that might help to make it a bit easier.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
count me in
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-tabari2
Member # 13950

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-tabari2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im game [Razz]
Posts: 2 | From: snake pit | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice idea [Smile]
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea!
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK people, I reckon 6 is a party so....
what book first - what about that one Penny's mentioned in her thread about Ramadan reading? I know nothing about the author, the book or where to get it from?

Do people feel its appropriate or not to form the subject of a book club discussion? Do you feel it falls within or outside a book club relating to Egypt, Egyptian matters, etc? I'm not a muslim but I know a few of you are so I am happy to be guided by your views on this.

Newcomer - how easy is that to get from a 'living in Egypt' perspective?

EDIT: upon consideration, I think that Newcomer's right (post below) we should focus this on Egypt, not on religion so I've removed the links.

Why don't you guys suggest a few books and we can make a poll on another thread for the initial selection. we probably need to avoid AUC publications for the reason Newcomer suggests - they are about 60LE a piece which is rather expensive for people living on Egyptian salaries.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to co-operate and suggest a few titles of books but to be honest, I have never ever read a book by an Egyptian author.
But I am willing to ... [Smile]

I am not a muslim either, but I think it can be enriching and interesting to read e.g. about Ramadan.
I do not know if it is easy to find these books here in Europe , all I know is I wanted to buy a CD of Amr Diab and this could not be found in my country. But then an Egyptian friend sent me the songs on PC, that was even better [Wink]

I do think it is a nice idea to discuss books on ES. It is always good / interesting / (sometimes) surprising to read different persons' opinions.

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did just find a book listed on the Darussalam website called Understanding Ramadan.

http://www.darussalam.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=317

Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bastet*Loves*Ptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is religious?

--------------------
MEOW

Posts: 412 | From: protectress of Lower Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I think it would be better to discuss books about Egypt rather than religion; it is a more neutral subject and more relevant to the board.

I have to go out for a while, but insha Allah, later I'll have a look around for some ideas when I get back, unless anyone can come up with any thing else first.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Bastet*Loves*Ptah:
It is religious?

The book club isn't intended to be religious, its intended to have a connection with Egypt of some sort, whether its the author or the subject matter (for non fiction) or the subject setting for fiction.
However, we are approaching ramadan, and obviously this is a very important part of Egyptian life. This is partly why I've asked the question whether the book I've suggested is appropriate for a Book Club discussion - because that would be a religious book.
EDIT and since then, I think I agree with Newcomer and maybe we should stick to Egypt matters rather than religious matters from a book club perspective.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

BOOK IDEAS.

How about Naguib Mahfouz short stories? (says she with a whole book of them sitting in Cairo while she's here in London [Roll Eyes] )

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
BOOK IDEAS.

How about Naguib Mahfouz short stories? (says she with a whole book of them sitting in Cairo while she's here in London [Roll Eyes] )

LOL
I agree with you and Newcomer to keep it about books relating to Egypt rather than religion. I have some Mahfouz books but like you rather spread around places I can't get to easily LOL.
Lets see what Newcomer comes up with when she gets back.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend Books about egyptian Political stories. something about Nationalization of Suez canal then 1956 tri-aggression on egypt, portsaid crisis.
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Here are a few suggestions. As you can see, I just went through an alphabetical list (from the BookSpot actually) of books on Egypt, some I have heard of, others that looked interesting. There is a mixture of novels based in Egypt, personal, perspectives, and some academic books. All of the books are theoretically available for under 100 LE in Cairo, and one of them is an e-book. The links I have given are for reviews on the books, and not necessarily the cheapest place to buy them. I don't have any particular preference, and will leave it up to you to choose:

- A Woman of Cairo, Noel Barber: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woman-Cairo-Noel-Barber/dp/0340839910

- Avenues of Participation : Family, Politics, and Networks in Urban Quarters of Cairo, Diane Singerman: http://www.bookspotonline.com/middle.php?file=bookdetails&bookid=23668

- Bedouin Life in the Egyptian Wild, Joseph J Hobbs: http://www.bookspotonline.com/middle.php?file=bookdetails&bookid=19410

- Bedouin, Settlers and Holiday-Makers: Egypt's Changing Northwest Coast: http://www.bookspotonline.com/middle.php?file=bookdetails&bookid=8870

- Between marriage and the market: Inimate politics and survival in Cairo: http://content.cdlib.org/xtf/view?docId=ft0f59n74g&chunk.id=d0e1428&toc.depth=1&toc.id=d0e1428&brand=eschol

- Blue Aubergine, Miral Al-Tahawy: http://www.bookspotonline.com/middle.php?file=bookdetails&bookid=6258

- Cairo The City of Victorious, Max Rodenbeck: http://www.amazon.com/Cairo-City-Victorious-Max-Rodenbeck/dp/0679767274

- Cairo the Glory Years, Rafaat: http://www.harpocrates-publishing.com/fiches_descriptives/cairoglory.htm

- Cairo: City Of Sand, Maria Golia: http://www.amazon.com/Cairo-City-Reaktion-Books-Topographics/dp/1861891873

- Cairo: The Site and the History, Morsi Saad El-Din: http://www.ibcbooks.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/cgi-local/smpagegen.exe?U+scstore+wmcl2281ff5e7b5e+-p+-c+scstore.cfg+STA3555

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Am reading Woman of Cairo at the moment...for the second time as I read it first a long time ago before ever stepping foot in Egypt. It's a bit lightweight but the history of the British occupation and rise of Nasser is interesting.
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about this one........

"I Am Happier to Know You" is a portrait of Egyptian Daily Life, The People in Egypt, Their Faith and Culture, Viewed through the Heart of a Western woman.

by
Jeanne M. Eck

http://www.jeanneeck.com/

ISBN 0-9753054-0-9 Trade paperback - 340 pages - distributed by: New Leaf and Partners/West Book Distributing, Inc and the American University Cairo Book Store

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be nice, but understand in Egypt difficult to get books.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Hi young at heart,

If you are in Cairo or a major city in Egypt, rather than a rural village or town, you will find loads of bookshops, and many that sell books in English. They are, however, relatively more expensive than in the UK or US partly because of the exchange rate, and the import costs that are added, in some cases due to the cost of translation, and also in comparison to the average local income. Considering that reading isn't as popular a hobby amongst average Egyptians as it is in the west, it is actually surprising how many bookshops there are.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok i understand you, i think it would be nice to do this if possible, would learn lots
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz
Member # 13525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bookstores of the American University in Cairo (AUC) are a one-stop shop for any and all books about Egypt. Owned and operated by the university, the stores sell all the titles that the AUC Press publishes at branches on the AUC campus and in Zamalek. They specialize in books on ancient and modern Egyptian history, Middle East studies, Islamic studies and Arabic literature in translation.

Have fun book worms [Wink]

Posts: 215 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to join the book club also.
I am reeding at the moment the "Yacoubian building".
I have a few books relating to Egypt which I would gladly mail to somebody interested (like the fatwa and a couple of others)and than some that I would not like to get rid of which I think I would want to read again.
One which I liked a lot was Women of Egypt by Jehan Sadat, it covered some history and also everyday life in Egypt and very well written.
I have
It is very easy to order books from amazon.com also.
I have also "I Am Happier to Know You" but I did not decide yet if I want to keep it or give it away.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am leaning towards the book...A woman of Cairo

I might get it even if we don't choose it as a book for all of us to read.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
I am leaning towards the book...A woman of Cairo

I might get it even if we don't choose it as a book for all of us to read.

I agree, either that or Cairo, the City Victorious by Max Rodenbeck or Women of Egypt by Jehan Sadat.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Yes I would happily read Women of Egypt by Jehan Sadat again. Think we read it at the same time last time Mimmi [Smile]
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
River God by Wilbur Smith

one and only fictitious book I ever read and I have to say enjoyed I a lot.

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pseudovellum:
River God by Wilbur Smith

one and only fictitious book I ever read and I have to say enjoyed I a lot.

You should read the other two, too. "The sons of the Nile" and "The seventh scroll". They are just as good and entertaining as the first part [Wink]
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

OK, tomorrow evening, I'll go through all the suggestions and make a poll about it.
I've just read Cairo The City Victorious (finished it last week.

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
ok, looking forward to your poll [Smile]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Sorry chaps, big pc problems this evening, will do it tomorrow if pc behaves.
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
hey Penny and Mimmi...got a stupid question.
you mentioned a book by Jehan Sadat.
would that be the wife of the ex. president, Sadat?

See...showing my ignorance of egyptian history again.

Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
hey Penny and Mimmi...got a stupid question.
you mentioned a book by Jehan Sadat.
would that be the wife of the ex. president, Sadat?

See...showing my ignorance of egyptian history again.

Yes it is the wife of Anwar Sadat. The book was really good and well written ,nice and easy to read.
Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liar_Lanie
Member # 14540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liar_Lanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now this is a great excerpt, hopefully ESers will order the book and dig in:

The Stereotypical Views of Egyptian Women versus Foreign Tourists

The interviews revealed that the infomratnts have contructed stereotypical views of Egyptian women. Men in Dahab believ that Egyptian women do not aks for foreplay because they are hot-blooded (damuhum sukhn) and therefore, they do not need an extended period of sexual intercourse to achieve satisfaction. In contrast, foreign women are described as cold-blooded (damuhum barid) due to their articulation of their sexual needs. Accordingly, foreign woman require longer intercourse to achieve satisfaction, which as to be preceded by an excessive foreplay. My interviewees describe how the Egyptian women who could be satisfied with five minutes of intercourse because they are always "ready" (gazheen).

This shows how Egyptian men are not aware of women's desires and confuse the expression of sexual needs with "coldness". Since Egyptian women do not express their sexual needs, men conceive them as "hot-blooded". Essam, a 35-year old man from Beheira, who has been living in Dahab for fifteen years and established various relationships with foreign women, explains that Egyptian women do not need the kind of sexual relations demanded by foreign women. Now married to and Egyptian woman from whom he has two children, he expresses his fustration with his current relationship, saying: "ONce you watch a video you can neveer go back and listen to the radio." When I showed that I did not understand his statement and solicited more clarification he said:

You cannot compare Egyptian women (radio) with foreign onces (video). There is a big difference. Egyptian women do not express their sexuality; they do not need long sexual intercourse. Maybe it is beecause of circumcision. While foreign women require longer time and ask even for more.

Essam's description shows how some men in Dahab view Egyptian women as traditional (radio) given the fact that they do not express their needs and do not show their sexual desires compaired to the modern foreign women (video) who do not only articulate their needs, but also ask fore more than what the Egyptian men normally would expect from a woman and explicitly communicate what they want in order to reach satisfaction. When I asked him if he treid to give his wife the same level of satisfaction the he sued to give foreign women and if he discussed this issue with her, he said: "No, because she doesn not need it, she never asks for it."

Mohamed also supports Essam's argument that Egyptian women do not require long sexual intercourse:

Intercourse with a foreigner differs from the one with an Egyptian. An Egyptian woman needs only five minutes, while foreign women need longer time to the level that one might get to the point of ejaculating blood, (13) which might make him weak and affect his sexual performance one day. Foreign women have cold blood (damuhum barid); therefore, they need more frequent sexual intercourses to reach satisfaction. Furthermore, they are not circumcised and this explains their need for long intercourse, in contrast to Egyptian women who need a maximum of a minute or two for satisfaction.

Mohamed's views of foreign women as cold-blooded who require a longer intercourse until the main "ejaculates blood" shows how the fear of women's sexuality is embedded in the culture and the background of men in Dahab, which is comparable to the discourses of men in San Blas in Spain studied by Brandes (1981) who believe that women's sexuality could endanger men's virility. Martin, examining the workds of nineteenth century writers and their fantasy of women, explains:

A woman would ruin a man, by her extravagant spending, , by her demands on him to spend, or, in another realm, by her excessive demands on him for sex. Losing too much sperm meant losing that which sperm was believed to manufacture. (Martin, 1992:34)

This opinion is based on men's fear of females' sexuality and their excessive sexual needs. Women are also viewed to be the consumers of men and their semen.

From this we can see that the views held by Egyptian men about Egyptian women and foreign torists are contradictory. On the one hand, foreign women are considered "cold-blooded" since they ask for foreplay and a long period of intercourse, but at the same time they are viewed as oversexed because they are not circumcised. On the other hand, the mere fact that they are circumcised, which reduces thier need for intercourse to "a minute or two." However, the common belief and justification to the practice that is mainly used to reduce women's sexual desires are limited and reduced by circumcision.

This further illustrates how men in Dahab have traditional stereotypical views of Egyptian women and exercise their masculinity over them by false perceptions. Moreover, it also reveals that the notion of masculinity takes a different level when dealing with foreign women.

(13)There is a common belief among Egyptian men that an intercourse lasting a long time might lead to ejaculating blood, which would endager man's health.

Pg 61-63 from "Beach Politics: Gender and Sexuality in Dahab" Chapter five "Constructing Sexuality, Sexual Health, and Risk: Male and Female discourses in Dahab".

Its about $20 for what amounts to an afternoon of reading. It'll blow your mind.

--------------------
Offend one offend all during the season.

Posts: 1455 | From: debtville | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
just shows ya how stupid some men can be !
and it ain't just in Egypt - its worldwide.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto that J_B!!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it beggars belief! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$20 !
you were robbed

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com