EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Al Azhar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Al Azhar
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone actually been to Al Azhar Park?

I have seen the site but wanted to know how someones visit went and what they thought of it and what was there to do apart from walk around.
Cheers
[Smile]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I went there with hubby, and tried to order some tea but everything was close and it was only 10:00 pm! very unusual for cairo.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you enjoy it? is it worth driving from the west of Cairo to see do you think?

Can you see the remains of the Abassyd wall or is it fenced off?
Ta

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, especially if you have kids. My wife and son were there last week and they enjoyed it a lot, they want to go again [Smile]
Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have been there, It's great for having picnics.
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Thanks folks [Big Grin]

one question.

I have friends coming for a one day stop in Cairo.

They can only manage either Al Azhar or the Citadel, dont have time for both.
They are I male 3 females in 30's.

You can see the citadel I believe quite clearly from the park?

If you were to choose, which one would you do on that visit?
They are not moslem, and might be tombed out by the time they reach Cairo [Big Grin]

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would choose the Park.

We go there every other week or so. It's high up and the air feels fresher.

You will get 365 degree view of Cairo. Part of the sweetener for building the park is that builders help to train the people in the old, almost falling down houses to refurbish them. Then to pass the skills on to others then hopefully all the houses will look like new again Some of the homes are looking really great.

I like to visit the restaurant at the top of the Park, then you can have great views over the Park.The restaurant is self service most of the time, and there is a great selection of food. There are other restaurants throughout the Park. A good day out, the plants and trees all have signs to say what they are and the waterfalls make you feel cool [Wink]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will have a great day out...try to avoid Friday's.......it's very busy then.... [Smile]
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

sold [Big Grin]
cheers folks you are stars.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course go to the citadel. The park is just a park. I'm sure whatever country they are coming from has millions of parks. Whereas the citadel is historicl, and full of beautiful artificats. It's much more worth seeing.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen36
Member # 1076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karen36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote the Citadel also for the exact reasons as stated above. I think the reason we love Al Azhar so much is that it is a small piece of heaven in a very polluted, crowded city. But we live here (or did). A park is a park, and a foreigner would have seen lots of nice(r) ones. The Citadel is a one-of-a-kind national landmark.
Posts: 219 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Hmmmm

now you both got me thinking again [Confused]

I will give them the info on both and let them decide on it [Wink]

Cheers folks

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you pick the Citadel and if you're in a taxi and if they're a bit church-orientated - nip over to St Simon Tanners... I'm sure they'd love it.
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com