EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Khan El-Khalili in danger?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Khan El-Khalili in danger?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Khan el-Khalili, much loved by tourists and one of the most interesting bazaars in the whole Middle East, is in the throes of death.

Why?

Because of the Chinese invasion, traders say.

The bazaar, named after Prince Jaharkas el-Khalili, who was one of the powerful Mameluke princes in the 14th century, is located in the Hussein district of Islamic Cairo. It is famous for its unusual, typically Oriental souvenirs, and handmade crafts. The mediaeval atmosphere of this traditional market with its labyrinthine streets is very appealing to visitors. El-Hussein Mosque is also in Khan el-Khalil and Al-Azhar University, and its mosque are just a stone's throw away.Maged Morris, who owns a bazaar in Khan el-Khalili, says the Chinese are determined to undercut Egyptian products and Egyptian traders obviously buy what's cheapest, in order to maximise their profits. “The GATT agreement is a big problem for Egyptian industry, as most foreign products easily find their way into Egypt, but we cannot export our products because we face so many obstacles. Besides, the Government doesn't provide any facilities for exporters," he explains.Adel Fathi, another bazaar owner, says Chinese products even include Pharaonic-style ashtrays, statues, mugs, pens, crystal pyramids and more. “The price of an Egyptian product equals the price of ten Chinese ones," he says.Fadel Fouad, who also works in the Khan, says Egyptian raw materials are expensive while in China they are cheap, while his colleague, Samira, says the Chinese even forge precious stones - and, despite their poor quality, they're very popular.Marzouq, the owner of a jewellery shop in the bazaar, says most silver products, even the Pharaonic-style ones, are not Egyptian, although most people think so. The silver is from Switzerland, Italy and Malaysia, and Islamic and Pharaonic-style jewellery is manufactured in these countries very skilfully. The only thing that remains purely Egyptian are the silver products in the style of the Siwis (from Siwa Oasis in the Western Desert) and Bedouin.The thing tourists most love to buy at the Khan is sheeshas (water pipes) but the Chinese can't even leave these alone. In fact, most sheeshas found in the Khan el-Khalili are Chinese. Mohamed Hosni, another worker in the bazaar, says that Chinese sheeshas are made of cheap, malleable alloys, while the Egyptian ones, made of stainless steel, are very expensive.As for the Islamic products like rosaries and framed verses from the Holy Qur'an written in beautiful calligraphy, 90 per cent are Chinese and Turkish, while some are even made in Israel. Samah, another bazaar owner, says she's seen an Israeli rosary with an aromatic smell. Randa, who's been making rosaries by hand for the past eight years, says they cost anywhere from LE250 (about $46) to more than LE450 (about $83), while you can pick up a dozen Chinese rosaries for only LE5 (less than $1).“Unfortunately, many local workshops have shut down because of the Chinese invasion," says Randa.

The Egyptian Gazette
Today

http://www.egyptiangazette.net.eg/

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a real shame. [Frown]
They make it so easy to get the foreign products in but so difficult to get the local products out.
Talk about suffocating the locals....again. [Frown]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes this seems to be true and it's a very unfortunate situation.

Has someone more info on the GATT agreement??

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murray-mint77
Member # 13080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray-mint77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes i know so many touristic souvenirs from Egypt all have 'made in china' wrote on stickers below.... [Frown]
Its such a shame, if it wasn't for the cheapness of these inferior products, personally i would love to have a souvenir from a certain country that was actually made in and by people of that specific country. But money is the root of all evil... Buyers want good prices and sellers want big big profits [Frown]

Posts: 634 | From: the Moon........... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes, what is the point of having a souvenir from Egypt when it's made in CHINA ?? [Confused]
[Frown]
I would rather have a small bottle of sand from near the pyramids. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
will send ya a truckful, smucks. [Razz]
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This last trip, I was looking at "Pashmina" scarfs being sold in Khan . . . hehe, I brought similarly labeled items off eBay that were shipped from China. I did buy a couple as I was with a group of women who were bargaining for a lot of them . . . they were quite cheap . . . but I wish I had been able to find the shop that sells good quality Egyptian ones.

I stopped at a street vendor in downtown Cairo and bought some other scarves . . . He pointed out one side of his displays and said "India" and the other side he said "Italy" . . . when I said "Egypt", he just shook his head!!!

What is really sad about this is that so many ppl in Egypt need to work . . .

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really bad. The people are already struggling. The government should put a stop to this.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

The only thing the government cares about are opposition movements. [Roll Eyes]
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
The only thing the government cares about are opposition movements. [Roll Eyes]

...sounds like a bowel complaint! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

LOL !

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com