EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Hee heee!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hee heee!!
Member # 11766

Icon 12 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gave delivery guy 5 pounds baksheesh tonight which he gave back to me saying was not enough!
Okay says me, I will keep it then..never seen a jaw hit the floor so quick when I closed the door..sick of them ...ss!! [Smile]

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can this be true?? How rude of him!! [Confused]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that the delivery was not much more..he can go stuff himself [Smile]

Maybe once I was a walk over..no longer..Cairo makes you tough!

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
satan me doit u should really call the owner so they can tak an action so it wont repeated by others and if u need delivery i am here [Razz]

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you @ satan.

I give them like 2 pounds and they're very happy with it, always get the fastest deliveries. [Smile]

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in maadi and with a foreigner probably it will be different

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it won't. I give about three LE, depending on the delivery, and the guys who come repeatedly are usually very friendly. [Cool]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
yes dalia they should be in that way , but i think if an egyptian didnt even pay tips the man wont complain as he did with satan

--------------------
islam

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I save the 5 pound tip for my hairdresser.....a skill I feel should be rewarded.
Delivery people 2/3pounds. If they turn up there nose,I just say la feloose masr.....and smile nicely [Wink]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Pink cherry:
I save the 5 pound tip for my hairdresser.....a skill I feel should be rewarded.
Delivery people 2/3pounds. If they turn up there nose,I just say la feloose masr.....and smile nicely [Wink]

lol do dont do that again or he can ask 4 dollars
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by esso7:
i think if an egyptian didnt even pay tips the man wont complain as he did with satan

Probably. [Frown]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

He can ask all he wants....I don't 'do' dollars.....not from USA..... [Smile]
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

IT MIGHT be euros then
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same expierence. When I give 1 EP while there are Egyptians near me, it will be accepted with thanks. When I give the same without any Egyptians near me, it was refused because it was not enough.
Respect???? What respect????

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

IT MIGHT be euros then
Don't 'do' Euros either...... [Big Grin]
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

IT MIGHT be euros then
Pink Chery I Hope u dont take from him 5 le then
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

IT MIGHT be euros then
Pink Chery I Hope u dont take from him 5 le then
Why do you hope that???

I have never been a great believer in 'tips' for any one doing his job. But it is a canker in this country and getting worse.
It is my way of protesting against this canker that I will only tip for a skill. I am with satanmademedoit on this.....
Ok you can say a rebel without a cause....but someone has to make a stance, however hard it is going to be...... [Wink]

egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
i am not saying u have to pay tips but 4 me i think these ppl having low sallaries even very low , so they depend on the tips ,so its good to leave something 4 them

--------------------
islam

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
i am not saying u have to pay tips but 4 me i think these ppl having low sallaries even very low , so they depend on the tips ,so its good to leave something 4 them

Oh! I understand where you are coming from, and I know about low wages. But the worker has got to learn to speak up to the employer....Egyptians are renown for their haggling...Low paid workers should make employers their first port of call in regard to wages....not the innocent recipient whether Egyptian or Western
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
u r speaking because u rnt in his place , i agree with all what u r saying but if he comliants he will be dismissed and 10 other workers will accept with that sallary .

--------------------
islam

Pink cherry
Member # 13979

quote:
u r speaking because u rnt in his place , i agree with all what u r saying but if he comliants he will be dismissed and 10 other workers will accept with that sallary .

Yes...that is the reason thrown up when ever I discuss this matter...

I was a low paid worker in my country, what did I do to better my wages......worked harder. Once I proved that I was a valuable person to the company my wages were increased...
That sort of work ethic is not practiced in this country.......could be worth a thought and tried..... [Wink]
Employers here are very greedy, and do not practice worker relations, it is one way this could help this country pull it's socks up, but they only think of grabbing money, hence the canker is passed on.........stalemate [Confused]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past we always tipped very well whether living there or on vacation.

Especially when you come on holiday you can avoid a lot of hassle if you just tip the right people.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
TL i hate if u pay tips to avoid something ,it should be a voluntary action

--------------------
islam

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

Lol so true! [Smile] I always give 10 Euro tip here since it's always the same girl and I like her and the way she does my hair. Nothing is worse than a bad haircut!!
Dalia*
Member # 10593

You tip a hairdresser 10 Euros? [Eek!] How much do you pay for your haircut, if you don't mind me asking.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend from Zimbabwe who visited Egypt earlier this year was horrified at the tipping culture. When I made the usual excuses about poverty etc, she told me that Zimbabweans are much poorer than Egytians and she said they would never dream of asking for tips. Tips are completely at the gift of the person giving them and no pressure is put at all to give one.
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
You tip a hairdresser 10 Euros? [Eek!] How much do you pay for your haircut, if you don't mind me asking.

I don't even give the equivalent to this in dollars to my hairdresser here in my country,so go figure in Egypt.I consider it totally outrageous,too. [Eek!]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Oh! I understand where you are coming from, and I know about low wages. But the worker has got to learn to speak up to the employer....Egyptians are renown for their haggling...Low paid workers should make employers their first port of call in regard to wages....not the innocent recipient whether Egyptian or Western
with you on that one PC.

Satan, shame you didnt have a camera!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pothead_Barbie
Member # 15091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pothead_Barbie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or do what i did, they try to gimme a hard time with the tip and i looked at him and said, 'well fukk u then.' but i said it with a really sweet smile and he was all smiling and nodding his head up and down then i quickly slammed the door.
"try to swindle me eh?
try and make a fool outta me eh?
why i outta!!!'

Posts: 460 | From: philly | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FAIL!!!!!!!
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkingathinline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oldbag:
Tips are completely at the gift of the person giving them and no pressure is put at all to give one.

this is exactly how it should be!

after living in NY for so long, i became a little numb to the whole tipping thing - even Americans have their hands out!!! waiters/waitresses, OK...you are, afterall, having someone serve you...but my mechanic??? who charged like $75 AN HOUR!?!?!? forget it!

i've never had anyone, in any country, turn their nose up at a tip...the little boys from the souq were always so happy to get 1-3 LE from me. one time, i tried to tip a lady at the Mogamma...she put thru my 5-year visa in like 20 minutes...she threw the money at us and walked away! i felt so bad!

Posts: 422 | From: American living in Maadi, visiting in the States for awhile | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
quote:

I don't even give the equivalent to this in dollars to my hairdresser here in my country,so go figure in Egypt.
I think she was referring to Germany, but even there it would be a lot imo.
Qmar
Member # 12602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Qmar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
walkingathinline- if you don't mind me asking, how much did you try to give her? for what she did she would be expecting a very nice tip from an Egyptian at least 20-30 le) so she would be expecting this and some from a foreigner. Not forgetting that some people just do things to nice (SabhiLillah- For Allahs Sake) and are offended by being offered money. This type will not look at the money. I still don't know who I should offer money to anyway!
Posts: 102 | From: Somewhere only we know... | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
quote:

I don't even give the equivalent to this in dollars to my hairdresser here in my country,so go figure in Egypt.
I think she was referring to Germany, but even there it would be a lot imo.
It`s still a lot i think,Dalia.Just last month i went into a beauty salon in Granada,Spain to have my hair washed and blow dried,and Spain has Euros,too,and was charged 9 Euros and i gave the girl 2 Euros tip.She was happy and totally courteous about it.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com