EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Quick check : Housing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick check : Housing
Eve&Vin
Member # 14990

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Eve&Vin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I are facing some problem with the Bawab. When we first move in to the house in this year Feb, the Bawab is collecting from us 50 LE every month. But for the past 3months, or so. He is been collecting from us 100LE every month. Is that reasonable?

Do we need to pay him, or can he collect from the landlord? I really dun like him, he has been cheating our money all the time.

Like recently, our gas tank for cooking seem like it is going to run out for the first time. We dun know where to get a new one, so we seek help from the Bawab. He come back with a "new" tank, and charge us 70LE for the gas tank. But if we want to keep the 2 tank of gas. He said we need to pay him 300LE. Of couse we dun want to pay such money for a tank of gas. So we gave up our gas and take his. Who knows, the gas tank that the Bawab got for us, finish in less than a week. We dun cook alot, and we sure feel cheated and we are very upset about this. I wanted to confront him about this, but husband said forget about this, because he tried to reason with him, the Bawab will keep talking in Arabic. So it is impossible to communitcate with him. But luckily we got help for a Chinese restaurant near by. They provide us a new tank of gas for us and they help us to change the gasket. All for free. They gave us a very shocking information, actually a home type of gas tank only cost 8LE. Imagine how much the Bawab had con us.

So I really need some advice from some of you, is the Bawab collect a reasonable fee from us? And can anyone tell me where can I order gas tank?

Thanks I really appreciate any advices

Posts: 58 | From: Singapore | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eve&Vin:
Advice is just get rid of him. You are not obliged to pay him if he does not do anything for you so make sure he does not. Set the rules. Normally if your in a full building and everyone is paying him, check with other people. you should all try and pay the same monthly fee each and if he does seperate things for others they should tip him just for that work.
Speak to the landlord if this guy is a problem and you will probably find he is chaeating the landlord too.

Ask the chinese restaurant to get the gas tank man to visit your house and you deal direct.
The Babwa just takes care of the building and not the people in it.

When I 1st moved to cairo, my babwa used to rip me off on shopping, but as I can speak arabic and understand ity, one day I heard him talking about how much he was making from me.... so I chased him and made sure everyone new what a "Harami" he was.
This guy sounds like he is really taking you for a ride.
Where are you living?

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eve&Vin
Member # 14990

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve&Vin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are staying in maadi. That is wat I think as well. But did you pay your Bawab as well?
Posts: 58 | From: Singapore | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen, you won't be able to sack him if you are living in an apartment block.
These guys are employed by the landlords and are their look outs.
They tend to report everything back to the landlord.
Cost depends on where you live and the service u get from him.
Check what he actually pays on ur behalf..can be -water charge, garbage collection, maintenance of communal areas, etc.
These guys know everything about you.
In Degla I know folk will pay 200 LE up per apartment.
We were lucky to move where we had a choice and now don't employ a Bawab.
The less service staff you have the less hassle!

NEVER LET HIM HAVE A KEY TO YOUR HOME.
(Always change the locks)

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eve&Vin:
We are staying in maadi. That is wat I think as well. But did you pay your Bawab as well?

He was paid 20 egp per month for washing the car only..... anything else I did myself.

Someone working in a office in admin may only earn 500-700 egp per month and if this guy is taking 200 off you etc... and ripping of gas, just be polite and dont use his service. If he is responsible for cleaning the building moving rubbish etc... pay 50 egp per month only/.... but as i said check what the others are paying him. May be he is used to being paid that amount of money so probably thinks all forigners are loaded. Put him straight.

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Civil Disobedience
Member # 1051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Civil Disobedience         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Maadi and pay bawab 50LE/month. Bawab does nothing really except keep the stairs and lobby clean.
Organise the gas bottle for yourself and complain about the bawab cheating you to your landlord.
200 LE/month is WAY to much to pay the bawab unless they're doing a WHOLE lot of extra stuff for you.
The way I calculate the bawab's income is like this:
I pay her 50LE/month. There are thirty occupied apartments in our building. At 50LE a month each, that equals 1500LE/month = not bad for the bawab and her family. They also wash cars and do other cash jobs to increase their income.

Posts: 252 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viewable
Member # 6331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viewable         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're entitled to ask for whatever they want. If you don't want to pay don't pay but there's a difference between being high priced and being a crook.

--------------------
I'm Retired

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is usual for the tenants to pay the bawab; 50 LE sounds reasonable, but a 100% increase doesn't. If you can find another tenant who speaks English or find someone to help you to ask them, check how much other people are paying the bawab...all tenants should be paying the same for the monthly fee, but if you ask him to do extra jobs for you, he can expect an extra fee.

The area that I live in recently changed to having gas piped in so we were all selling our gas bottles. The men who were going round the street were offering to buy them for between 160 LE to 180 LE. From what I heard, they were selling them for around 200 LE, so your bawab was definitely profiteering there. The refill charges however are anything between 3 - 8 LE and that depends on where you get the refill from and if you pay someone to bring a new bottle to your door and if they install it for you.

If your area uses gas bottles, you will hear men coming round banging on them as they deliver them. You should be able to buy one from them. I would suggest that you found an Egyptian speaker to get one for you.

It is usual for the bawab to be the one to get refills for you, but in your case I would try to get the landlord to talk to him or find out who the building supervisor is, as that will be the person who is doing the hiring, firing, and supervising of the bawab.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eve&Vin
Member # 14990

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve&Vin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick update:

Most of neighbours are paying 50LE to the bawab. So that guy is trying to con us. We feeback this to the Landload, but we still had yet to hear from him. Meanwhile, The bawab didn't come to ask for the money. So I hope it keep it this way. Dun come bother me with your crap. hahah...

As for gas, we still look for solution.

Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the gas bottle sellers drive around the streets with carts or in vans and bang on the tanks to attract your attention.

If you hear a clanking of a spanner on metal have a look out and you will find them in the street. Usually twice a day.
They will exchange your empty bottle for a new one for about 8le.
Try to buy another spare one in case you run out.
An empty gas bottle will cost you about 275le with 8le to refill. Once you have bought your own bottle it is yours then. If you move then you can sell it or take it with you.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried just giving him 50 le?? Thats more than enough...
My bawab was great.....he'd do anything for me.... and never expected any money!!! I'd tip him between 30 and 50 le a month.... but he was a good guy.... so helpful!!
he'd take down my trash... carry my shopping uo to the flat... was always respectful and polite.. never expected anything!!
There are some good bawabs around!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eve&Vin
Member # 14990

Rate Member
That is nice, now whenever our bawab see us, he takes it like we are transparent. So I guess, the Landload must have talk to him already. Anyway, we are thinking to move next year, to a better apartment, where we no need to have constant blackout for at least 5-6 time a month or out of water also 5-6 time a month.
George Attia
Member # 15562

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Attia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear All
This George...I got a pretty furnished flat for rent in Maadi.3 bedrooms, Big reception, fully air-conditioned (5 air condition ), TV, dish, receiver, Washing machine, 2 bathrooms. Close to the nile (Kornish el nile).Address is Road 104, House # 68. If interested call 018 722 8091

Posts: 16 | From: Maadi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matron
Member # 4902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for matron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You had a good one Samia, but they are few and far between.
We don't have one now as the owner lives above us. Anything we need, he organises, right down to keep a spare gas bottle in his garage for when we should ever run out.
This is the first good guy we have had since coming to live in Egypt who has not tried to rip us off.

Posts: 155 | From: Planet Egypt | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you're onto a good thing now, Matron!
I know what it's like to have a bad bawab.... my first one was helpful but lazy..... second one was an asshole.... third and final one was great!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com