EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Help! appropriate ice breaker for management workshop tomorrow!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! appropriate ice breaker for management workshop tomorrow!
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting my workshops tomorrow and I'm still a bit stuck for a good icebreaker.

Its a Egyptian company, quite conservative, the workshops are basically the first line managers (team leaders, supervisors, basically) mainly men but a few women as well. They all know each other.

I need a culturally appropriate, 5-10 mins 'icebreaker' to get them to relax and talking. All the one's I'm looking at on the net just don't seem quite right (everything from those team games involving knots and things to 'if I were a fruit I would be a banana' type things).

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, you could go with all that stuff about teams and whatever, or you could be unique and just talk about egypt vs UK - maybe get a few laughs bout the differences, and make them and you relax.
hell, woman...you could talk for hours bout your microbus experiences !
Most people I find here are fascinated by the "backwords" thinking of us guys that moved here on purpose....cuz most of the people that you meet here want the chance to leave !

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Olympics, If they had a chance to compete what sport would they choose and why?
At least its topical at the moment.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks both for your ideas - JB they need to talk not me! Your idea will be useful later in the sessions but I think that can be useful in the sources of 'conflict' session!

- Penny I think that's great because the topic of the workshops is team building so it would be a great way of getting individual versus team working out!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have my uses sometimes [Smile] have fun
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree....Penny - that is a great idea !
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
How about the Olympics, If they had a chance to compete what sport would they choose and why?
At least its topical at the moment.

or indeed would they rather attend as part of the team in a support role rather than an as an athlete!
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Penny - that worked SO WELL!!!! Thanks.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
[Smile] [Smile]
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The similarity between topsports and doing business is an often used subject, as also the differences between men and women in doing business. To break the ice they usually start with a kind of " women are from venus, men from mars" story. There is a lot on the internet about both subjects. Maybe for another time, because it's too late now.... [Smile]

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh girl talk about Ahly and Zamalek, and connect it to whatever you are talking about, like teamwork for example. Any soccer talk works in Egypt!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

The bit I hate now - typing up the flipchart pages [Frown]
They did offer to have someone do it but I guess they can't read my writing (there was a slight misunderstanding in the flip chart & blu tac department so the only person who had one was me [Big Grin] )

Next workshop tomorrow.....

I'm such a sad cow - I'm loving this corporate stuff...

jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
was just sittin here wondering how you are doing?
How are the workshops going?

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Going good JB!
Bit of feedback though - they have no experience really of the workshops idea and the managers who attended (as opposed to the managers who booked me!) were expecting me to give them 6 x 2 hour lectures on 'how to be a good manager' instead of giving them a bit of theory and then getting them to do small group work to think about it all themselves and work around some of the issues etc. They seem to be enjoying it though and finding it useful - I did 'forming storming norming performing', 'belbin team roles' and 'different learning styles' yesterday - totally new ideas for them but you could see their brains ticking over - especially during Belbins [Big Grin]
A few brave soles volunteered what they thought their Belbins were but most of them were too shy to (because of course there is a strong and weak side to each of the Belbin roles).
I think a few of them were relieved to find out that 'storming' is a normal part of team evolution!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com