EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » heated floors "radiant floor heating"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: heated floors "radiant floor heating"
Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Pestersome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've felt the pleasure of sleeping on a heated floor, tripple carpet padding and I woke up toasty.

My cousin has a strawbale house with radiant floor heating (PVC pipping with hotwater force through) and my uncle put in radiant floor heating in 3 rooms.

A good friend from uni and his wife resealed their foundation with 4 more inches of concrete and put in radiant floor heating. So me their 2 dogs and 2 of their kids camp out in the basement roasting on the floor.

Its fricking heaven, fixed my sore back.

Having spent a few weeks in winter between 2 Egypt cities and in private dwellings I can't understand why this hasn't become a standard in luxury flats.

Has anyone seen this in houses or flats in Egypt homes? Is it against housing code or something?

Posts: 107 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the people in Egypt would prefer cooling in the floor!
Only for these few cold months, a heated floor?

Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pestersome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GM44:
I think the people in Egypt would prefer cooling in the floor!
Only for these few cold months, a heated floor?

A few? I suffer through iffy heating 3 months, and until January I get some bad colds. This is stateside, but my neices in Egypt won't wear socks or booties so they get sick.

PVC pipping forces hot water and cold water thus heating and cooling a room.

I abhore air conditioning that is used in Egypt, rather want "radiant floor cooling" instead.

Its one of those top 5 things I want in a home.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the other 4?

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radiant floor cooling won't do in summer, the effect is to low. Floor heating gives a very comfortable feeling, and the floor are dry immediatly after cleaning. [Smile]
BUT, it takes a lot of energy.
The most economic method is ac with inverter-technology, cooling/heating/possible in combination with hot water facilities (including floor heating). Daikin has this systems, but I don't know if they are avaliable in Egypt.
Saves at least 35% energy.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh god I get enough electric shocks from appliances when my floor is wet can you imagine if there was under floor wiring for heating !
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pestersome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Radiant floor cooling won't do in summer, the effect is to low. Floor heating gives a very comfortable feeling, and the floor are dry immediatly after cleaning. [Smile]
The most economic method is ac with inverter-technology, cooling/heating/possible in combination with hot water facilities (including floor heating). Daikin has this systems, but I don't know if they are avaliable in Egypt.

The radiant floor systems we use in the USA is radically different than what is used in Europe.

Energy efficiency of radiant floor systems in the USA out exceeds any other system.

Possibly because US houses are triple to quadriple the size of Euro homes, less stone and brick are used here, more windows and our residential neighborhoods are far less condensed.

Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Oh god I get enough electric shocks from appliances when my floor is wet can you imagine if there was under floor wiring for heating !

I don't know where I stated "wiring" was used. [Roll Eyes]

Hydronic heating systems and radiant floor heating

A hydronic heating system uses heated water to distribute heat from a central boiler to each part of the house. The distribution system may include any combination of baseboard heaters, radiators or sub- floor " radiant "heaters.

As with furnaces, boiler technology has advanced during the past decade although few boilers attain the impressive efficiency of condensing gas furnaces. Several gas- and oil-fired boilers are available with efficiencies up
to 87% and condensing gas boilers are available with
efficiency over 90%.

One very effective type of hydronic heating system is radiant floor heating . Radiant floor heating has been used for centuries and operates on the premise that people are most comfortable when their feet are warm and the air they are breathing is relatively cool. Radiant floor heat allows even heating throughout the whole floor and not just
in specific areas like space heat and forced air systems. In hydronic floor heating systems, tubing is laid in a pattern underneath the floor and [u]heated water is pumped from a boiler through the tubes.[/u]

Http://www.mme.state.va.us/DE/ConsumerInfo/HandbookHeatingCooling.pdf

My friend with the kids and dogs have a "loft style ranch" which all levels of the house is open and the basement is totally finished. They were considering geothermal heating but it was cost prohibitive. Basement and first level has radiant floor cooling and heating, which is why they laid down 4 inches of plastic/concrete in the basement so pvc piping could be laid.

A guest room and study have part of the floor taken out, a fireplace was installed in the basement and indoor potted trees were brought in for oxygen and looks.

The upstairs is 3 bedrooms and a 3rd bathroom which has a open hallway with a railing over looking the great room.

Their heating costs were $460 a month in the winter. Plus the foundation was cracking. Heating cooling costs are not even 1/3 what they were before.

Basement did have a walkout sliding door too which had to be converted to normal double french doors. Plus the kids and adults like myself were running into it because it didn't have a reflective glare.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pestersome:
quote:

The radiant floor systems we use in the USA is radically different than what is used in Europe.

Energy efficiency of radiant floor systems in the USA out exceeds any other system.

Possibly because US houses are triple to quadriple the size of Euro homes, less stone and brick are used here, more windows and our residential neighborhoods are far less condensed.

http://www.daikin.com/press/2008/080626/index.html
Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
quote:
http://www.daikin.com/press/2008/080626/index.html

I cannot open up Pdfs on my phone. Have a text version?

Anyhow my friends had laid the pvc piping themselves and use a tankless water heater (two tankless water heaters) and wouldn't invest in a technology such as daikin.

Doing things simple means simple repairs.

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
http://www.daikin.com/

All brochures are in PDF. Of course this system needs investement, it's an investment to reduce energy-costs that's why it should give rendement on long term.
Don't know if the gouvernment is giving tax-reduction or energy saving subsidy in your country, but in Europe they do.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com