EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » EARTH HOUR 2009 - Please turn off your lights at 8:30 pm on Saturday in Egypt!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EARTH HOUR 2009 - Please turn off your lights at 8:30 pm on Saturday in Egypt!!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyramids to go dark for "Earth Hour" (News Feature)

Middle East Features
By Nehal el-Sherif Mar 27, 2009, 11:46 GMT

Cairo - The Pyramids and the Sphinx, normally bathed in the golden glow of high-powered floodlights, will go dark for an hour on Saturday, in a symbolic statement Egyptian environmentalists hope might indirectly save the Nile Delta from inundation.

The World Bank has warned that Egypt faces 'catastrophic' consequences from global warming. If the Mediterranean rises by one metre, as scientists expect it will by the end of the century, it will flood the coastal areas along the Nile Delta, the World Bank warned in a 2007 report.

This would force about 10.5 per cent of Egypt's population from their homes and would harm the country's agriculture sector, as many of Egypt's crops, including wheat and rice, are grown on the Delta's rich soil.

So it is perhaps no surprise to see the government endorsing Earth Hour, an initiative started by the Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF) in 2007 as a means of raising awareness of global warming.

'Please turn off your lights at 8:30 pm on Saturday,' Maged George, Egypt's minister of state for environmental affairs, urged readers of Egypt's government newspapers this week.

Egypt's government-run radio stations have been discussing the event all week.

'Maybe people can start walking instead of taking their cars for short distances - they will save room for someone who really needs a car. Start driving more slowly - it is good for your car. It also means less fuel used and fewer accidents, God willing,' said a broadcaster on a morning talk show.

'Save the earth from pollution, and save it from everything bad you can think of. Each of us can save the earth in his own way.'

'Earth Hour will not save the earth,' said Gihad Sami, a young Egyptian supporter of the initiative said. 'But it might raise awareness of the connection between energy consumption and climate change.'

The WWF estimates that more than 50 million people from around the world participated in 2008.

Sami said she tries to convince her friends to be as 'green' as they can be: 'to use the printer less often at work, for example, to quit smoking, and to use power-saving light bulbs.'

This year, Cairo will join some 2,500 cities around the world that have pledged to turn off their lights on Saturday.

The Library of Alexandria, on Egypt's northern coast, will join Broadway theatres in New York City, the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Sydney Opera House in turning off their lights in support of Earth Hour.

Private businesses in Egypt are taking part too. Visitors to the Meridien hotel chain's restaurants in Egypt will be forced to spend a romantic evening on Saturday, as the chain announced it would rely on candle light to observe Earth Hour. Customers will also get a free drink, the chain said.

But some in Cairo said they would find it difficult to live without electricity for an hour.

'Even if I turn off the lights, I cannot turn off my computer, my mobile or my oven. I have to work and eat,' said Nabil Fahmy, an accountant from Cairo.

Fahmy, who is a heavy smoker, also said he did not think he would be able to put away his cigarettes for an hour.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/middleeast/features/article_1467221.php/Pyramids_to_go_dark_for_"Earth_Hour"__News_Feature__

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one that doesn't believe in global warming any more ?
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. [Razz]
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our family will also participate in today's event here in Germany. I just bought a nice large candle!!

Therefore please note I won't be able to post for an hour in the evening!! [Razz]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look over millions of years of history and changes in the climate this to me looks like another transition into a different 'age'. Maybe we are acccelerating it but we can never stop it.

I can see the logic and reason behind politicians voicing their concerns so much but I do also think it is exaggerated and is a scam and that they just want to tax us and charge us more in their mission to "combat" the change. In my opinion what's done is done and cannot be reversed and we should just learn to eveole with Earth...

Daylight saving starts today in UK, this is by far more effective than turning lights out for one hour in the year!

My lights will remain on as I refuse to join a bandwagon!

On a positive note, electric companies profits will slump [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't fathom sitting in the dark doing nothing for one hour [Eek!] something for the blind maybe. [Cool]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Can't fathom sitting in the dark doing nothing for one hour [Eek!] something for the blind maybe. [Cool]

Says an Egyptian??? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Lol do you know how many times the lights and a/c went off while I lived in your country????

And there are many things you can do in the *dark*. You can watch TV, you can make phone calls, you can invite friends and have a little chat while the candle is burning or perhaps you can get it on with your wife perhaps!! [Razz] [Wink]

Btw, mission is accomplished!! [Smile]

karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Global meen ya am.

quote:
Originally posted by Vader-:
Am I the only one that doesn't believe in global warming any more ?

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pen
Member # 16485

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) there is no global warming
2) global warming that doesn't exist is caused by the sun
3) the global warming that doesn't exist is good for us, and all the fishies.
4) We don't know anything about climate or ocean cycles or any of that jib-jab.
5) All our great knowledge shows the PDO is responsible.
6) Climate has always changed in the past. Changes have been much larger and more rapid
7) Climate is obviously a self-regulating mechanism that doesn't change too much
8) CO2 rose after temperature rose some random time hundreds of thousands of years ago. That obviously means it can't cause temperature to rise.
9) Winter just occured. Winter=no global warming.
10) Measurements aren't good enough to show warming or not
11) Measurements show cooling.
12) Al Gore wants to scare your Grandma

Posts: 29 | From: hyme | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol @ point 12...

I don't believe the hype...

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, my grandma is scared. [Smile]
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com