EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Texting certain Egyptian phones from abroad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Texting certain Egyptian phones from abroad
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone think of a good reason why I can't text my friend in Egypt when I am abroad, whether it is using 'reply' on the Egyptian phone or setting up her number on my UK mobile or my skype SMS service?

Her number starts with 0164 - not sure if that's a mobinil or vodafone?

Whenever I try to text her - or reply - when I'm not in Egypt I get 'sending failed' or similar messages.

(PS I have no problem with most Egyptian numbers so it's not MY phones that are the issue!)
Do you think there's some setting on her phone service that she needs to change?

I did also have this problem nearly 2 years ago with someone within Egypt where we were not able to text each other's phones only call them.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago hubby had this problem. I never received his texts. He contacted his provider (Vodafone)they said that my network was the problem and my network said it was his but like you we could call each other. Then out of the blue it seemed to right itself.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zap all that - just discovered it was me all the time.
I had put "02" in front of the number instead of "002".

[Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

But actually that doesn't answer YH experience nor mine of 2 years ago and so I will reinstate what I wrote above and zapped:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7817_102-290612.html

See post 11 - apparently in this case it is an issue with one provider not having updated their database with newly issued foreign numbers.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com