EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » change moeny before or after arriving?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: change moeny before or after arriving?
ukthoughtful
Member # 17000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukthoughtful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone

Is it better to change money in cairo or before travelling from the uk/usa?

Any best place to change the money in cairo so as to get the best rate?

Also as a side note, how normal is it to ask your landlord to change the locks on the door? Does it make a difference if you are staying for one mnonth or 6?

Cheers

Posts: 71 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is better to know someone Egyptian to let him do the change for you...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
change the money in Cairo, there are heaps of currency exchanges and banks, the rates will be shown on the board so you can see before you do it and can look round for the best rates.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can even deposit direct into an ATM and it will spit out LE...

I change mine here but i don't in bulk as the rate flucuates so much.

From experience you TELL the landlord but you pay for lock, keys and locksmith.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukthoughtful:
Hey everyone

Is it better to change money in cairo or before travelling from the uk/usa?

Any best place to change the money in cairo so as to get the best rate?

Also as a side note, how normal is it to ask your landlord to change the locks on the door? Does it make a difference if you are staying for one mnonth or 6?

Cheers

hey where ya been? havent heard from you in a long time.are you in egypt now? [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never been to Egypt... [Wink]
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is normal to change the locks for the door, you can do it (buy it yourself) or let the landlord do it for you and then pay for it. You never know who had the key before you!
Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Dont let the landlord buy the lock incase he copies the key.

Be as cautious here as anywhere in the world [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:

excuse me Missy i was talking to UT [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
quote:

excuse me Missy i was talking to UT [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Hehe... I know. [Big Grin]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:
It is better to know someone Egyptian to let him do the change for you...

This works for the souk but not for money exchange. [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get a lock and change it myself. No big deal. [Smile]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukthoughtful
Member # 17000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukthoughtful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the advice!!

quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:

hey where ya been? havent heard from you in a long time.are you in egypt now? [Wink] [/QUOTE]

Hey mick sent ya a pm [Smile]

Posts: 71 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
but i didnt get it? [Frown]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
got it! sent ya one back [Razz]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:

I would probably put it on upside down, back to front and inside out [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:

I would probably put it on upside down, back to front and inside out [Big Grin]
I knew you were really an Egyptian man!

It would still work anyway [Big Grin]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I am a man!!! Does my nationality matter?
ukthoughtful
Member # 17000

Member Rated:
Could anyone confirm where I can buy this lock from?

Also, as I am not the greatest of DIYers roughly how much should this cost? I will probably ask the landlord to arrange it, but want to know how much it will cost so I can tell if he tries to pull a funny!

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was forever changing locks in Sharm when guests lost keys. Used to cost LE100 with fitting. There are usually 5 keys. Cairo's probably cheaper.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably need to replace your current cylinder lock with one you've purchased yourself to avoid key duplicates.. make sure you ask for the computerized one, those are coded and hard to copy..in the range of 120-250 EGP depending on quality and if they're anti-drill or made of forged steel.

Very easy to install if you use some common sense with your screwdriver, you find them at any hardware store, depending where you live. [Confused]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
You can buy allsorts of stuff like that almost anywhere UKT...

Get the Bowaab to help you out with the fitting of it, he would appreciate a tip [Big Grin]

stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A standard lock and keys should not cost any more than 30 - 35 LE, lock and key guy's installation and baweb's finding the lock and key guy's fees included.

Make sure you STAND OVER THE TOP OF THEM while the lock is being changed to prevent any extra keys from slipping away.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com