EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » drinking and driving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: drinking and driving
sarah68
Member # 18469

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarah68     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If an egyptian is caught drinking and driving a car in egypt. Does anyone lknow what the punishment is? If they cant afford to bribe.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 1 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 8 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Punishment,i bet none.
Bribe,always. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarah68
Member # 18469

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarah68     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what happens if they cant afford a bribe?
Posts: 8 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is that i doubt police there will check drivers specifically for drinking while driving,but wait for an Egy opinion,or somebody more experienced living there.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They drive like they're drunk half the time anyway and a bribe wouldn't be more than 50le max!

Interested to know why the question though.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarah68
Member # 18469

Rate Member
Just wondered as I was asked as I have lived in egypt but didnt know the answer, so thought I would ask the forum.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it is anything like in UK, for one there aren't as many drunks in Egypt as in UK but driving deaths are more apparently per mile than anywhere else in the world. The way they drive here being drunk probably wouldn't make a lot of difference to how they drive [Big Grin] and considering no one is pulled for having the wife, sis in law, 3 kids, shopping, dead sheep and a baby on a motorbike with one workman's hard hat perched on the driver's head it's likely that one wouldn't be pulled for being drunk, unless they tried to drive through a check point of course. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15000LE to avoid a 3 year jail sentence [Wink]
Just a hunch....

Will see if I can find out for you - Google has not been my friend in this case!

Just found this link:

http://www.rhinocarhire.com/Drive-Smart-Blog/List-of-Alcohol-Limits-by-Country.aspx

Apparently in Egypt the legal limit is 0.05% (compared to 0.08% in the UK).

No idea what potential punishments are though! I suppose it depends on whether you kill someone or not.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
I couldn't find much on google either, mostly DO NOT drive in Egypt [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know an Egyptian caught tipsy and he was given a warning and I know a Westerner who just drove off !!!

I hear the rule is drink driving is ok as long as you don't kill anyone!

I guess it depends on the guy, the mood, the moon and whether or not the occifer got laid or not that week!!!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoever (foreigner wife or girlfriend) is being asked for cash should not hand it over ok!!!

And if the story is they have been banged up for 2 weeks so they won't be able to meet said foreigner wife or girlfriend - don't believe a word of it.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:
Whoever (foreigner wife or girlfriend) is being asked for cash should not hand it over ok!!!

And if the story is they have been banged up for 2 weeks so they won't be able to meet said foreigner wife or girlfriend - don't believe a word of it.

Ive seen locals even offering it,maybe before being asked! [Big Grin]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh it is all bullcrap... and don't give them your number and don't speak to their 'manager' aka mate in on the scam over the phone either.

Well actually don't DD at all [Big Grin] But hey, I have seen taxi drivers slugging Stella and having a chug on a spliff!!!!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

I second that!
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't someone on here post a link to the new traffic rules ages ago? Things like le1000 for driving the wrong way on one way street etc. Seem to recall it was le1000 for alcohol or drugs whilst driving?
Oh God Sarah68! Are you planning to come back to Egypt and get really really drunk?

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Here's a link to a PDF of the 'new' traffic laws!!!
It's all in arabic so someone will have to translate it for you.

(Link goes directly to the PDF):

http://mylifethinking.com/life/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/Egy_Traffic_2008.PDF

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
http://news.egypt.com/en/200808033391/spot-light/spot-light/the-new-egyptian-traffic-law.html
sarah68
Member # 18469

Rate Member
thanks cheekyferret interesting reading. no cars have lights on at night in egypt its frightening.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
What's frightening for me here is the 'one way' thing... I KNOW it is one way and I KNOW I have to look both ways!!!

As for drink driving, I haven't as yet seen a breathiliser on a copper on the roadside so proving they are over whatever the DD limit is here would be impossible to even prove.

I just thought, last year a friend of mine from way back who is a policeman broke both his legs after drinking too much whiskey at a wedding party and he crashed into a wall!!! Nothing happened to him other than he had to take unpaid leave till he healed.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“mahthur a'sikir” this is the official offence that Egyptians are charged with. This includes public drunkenness and also driving while intoxicated. The punishment is arbitrary and will depend on the prosecutor, mostly they keep them in lock up 1 day to 1 week and release them.

Foreigners are pracically exempt from any punishment, there is a prevailing attitude amongst Egyptian law officials that:

1.)Foreignors can hold their own (liquor wise) and even if them seem drunk, they know what they are doing.

2.)Alcohol consumption is a cultural thing for foreigners and if drunk it's okay.

This info is straight from a prosecutor friend. From personal experience, I was once intoxicated and had an arguement with a friend inside the car, long story short, I crashed into a koshari stand and broked the glass.

While trying to get out of there, and this was very late, a police pick up truck came to us, with police in the back. There was commotion, neighborhood woke up, koshari dude too, I was trying to negotiate a settlement right then and there with the koshari man, but the 'thabit' (officer) told me that it has to be official, and it is for my own good, because if it's not official the "koshari dude" can make a complaint the next day and I would be in trouble.

So a police dude, gets in the driver side, my friend and koshari dude in the back, and we follow the police pick up to police station.

We get there, and everything happened as the "thabit" said, I paid the koshari man, don't remember how much maybe 200, maybe 300, he wanted more but the "thabit" yelled at him.

I had to sign something in a book, and the koshari man did also, the "thabit" said this was to settle everything, and case was closed.

I was intoxicated, my friend was more than intoxicated, if you know what i mean, cops knew this and ffed with him a little, but all in all it was a non-issue, we went outside and the koshari man was there with a whole lot of his friends that appeared out of no where. They tried to bully us and said what happened was "thulum" (transgression) and that the damages were more than what I paid.

I said the "thabit" said pay this much and I did, so while getting out of there, they were tugging at me, and I handed over a little bit of more money.

Really long story short, if you are a foreignor, you are okay, unless you don't pay for any damages you cause. So just becareful and don't infringe on anyone.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I recall when I first joined ES someone posted that no-one drove while under the influence, that alcohol was scarce and that it is very rare to see anyone who has had a beer walking the streets. I was also told I was deluded and making up stories [Big Grin]

Quite obviously not! Watching the queue of cars in Korba outside the 24 /7 bottle shop (especially around the 3am mark) is rather amusing when they all try to park straight!!!

I was with an US guy once who clipped a car while he was tipsy... the other guy got out wanting us to pay for front lights, rear lights, a bumper and a side panel... now you see, if he hadn't have taken the pee he would have gotten something other than hysterical laughter.

But I know you are right, us foreigners are ok as long as nobody gets hurt and nothing gets damaged. But as I mentioned above, I know Egyptians who have been waved on at license check points.

And before anyone banters any rubbish, I don't drive [Smile] Ever [Big Grin]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's cool cheeky, people don't understand what they can't comprehend. So what, people have different lives, personally... I don't care what people believe. Back in 2002 I posted about underground Egyptian culture. Posted about hymen operations before it was in the news. Posted about dating, sex, drugs, alcohol, etc, etc, etc. Members were like yea right. Wrote of lesbians, wrote of parties, boasted once that I got 10 #s in one day but said it was nothing compared to my HS days. Yea right Dunes. Ahahahahaha [Big Grin]

“walk a mile in my shoes and you be crazy too” - pac

I assimilated, I delved in, I was in there, and my broken Arabic (at the time) got me tons of play. Egyptians are like the most receptive people on earth, you don't even have to really try to have friends in Egypt. They aleays come up and say hi, where you from. That's Egypt.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Yeah, I have written about an underground scene too and I was ridiculed by folk who obviously just never got an invite [Smile] Even the expats have an underground scene...

I could tell some stories that would burn folks retinas [Wink] but even the mild ones I have shared have just be deemed to be fantasy.

And this is by no way a slamming post... I love that Egypt isn't as sterile and straight laced as folk portray, I love the dark side to it as well [Big Grin]

'Walk a mile in my ship ships and you would be crazy too'... Ferret.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
'Walk a mile in my ship ships and you would be crazy too'... Ferret.

Yeah I believe that [Smile] but then again you're a gurl and should be a tease. [Razz]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Oh come on guys, we all know there is no alcohol here to be drink driving on anyway [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Walk a mile in my ship ships and all you would gain dude is my ship ships and you would be a mile away! Me.. tease!!! Never [Big Grin]

Ayisha... there is no alcohol, not even the locally brewed stuff. In fact, in all the Stella vans there are just girls named Stella being dropped off at numerous and various locations scattered throughout the entirity of Egypt [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com