EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » black america (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: black america
khapap
Member # 9616

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for khapap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just need to ask ...........is there a lot black america culture in egypt.........because i have a friend and they seem to be really into "everything black" rap music, black movies and trying to date blk ppl is this something thats new or what .......
Posts: 20 | From: rocky mount NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about Egypt, but rap has taken over America in general...so it doesn't surprise me that rap music might be popular in Egypt.

But I think there is still a lot of racism in Egypt as far as marriage is concerned. [Frown]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My question is: Why is Shaggy so popular in Egypt??? My opinion of the Egyptian people really dropped after I discoverd how popular he is!
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about the whole of Egypt in general. I will say however I met a guy and a few of his friends in Aswan who was so excited to talk about rappers. He had Tupac Shukur on his mobile phone wallpaper and kept talking about how Tupac died(him and his friends knew the story word for word). I think they're behind with latest rappers but listen to the more older popular rappers like Dre, Snoop, Biggy and Tupac( can't say that for definite but that's who they talked about). I just look back and laugh because I seriously didn't expect on my trip to Egypt to be having a conversation about american rappers. It's a good memory.
Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for setithefirst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to add something to this conversation. i am a black american who visits Egypt every year since 2000. I plan to make a permanent move to ALex in December 2006. When I visit Egypt, people are fascinated by my black skin and that fact that I am a black Americam. I think as far a Egyptains go, they are very very curious about black americans and our culture, i must say that for the last five years, I have been treated no less than like a king in Egypt, and the people are curious about why more black Americans do not visit Egypt. I love egypt and the fact that all who I have come into contact with are nice people and freindly.

Thanks

Posts: 67 | From: Philadelphia, Pa usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that there is a big difference between culture and popular culture. Rap music is an example of popular culture, an educated person with an understanding and appreciation of culture would not listen to trash like that.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by setithefirst:
I just wanted to add something to this conversation. i am a black american who visits Egypt every year since 2000. I plan to make a permanent move to ALex in December 2006. When I visit Egypt, people are fascinated by my black skin and that fact that I am a black Americam. I think as far a Egyptains go, they are very very curious about black americans and our culture, i must say that for the last five years, I have been treated no less than like a king in Egypt, and the people are curious about why more black Americans do not visit Egypt. I love egypt and the fact that all who I have come into contact with are nice people and freindly.

Thanks

You know, you just made me think. I had my beautiful african american friend with me who the guys in upper egypt were always asking if her if she was Nubian and some swarmed around her. She is a beautiful, confident and classy girl. We never felt any racism when we were there either.
Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Humanized     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
man..black music is an art and it whether you like it or not. it represents a class of people , people who share same life , same problems , same dreams and similar thoughts. and this class of people are similar to many others all over the world. an eductaed person with understanding should be interested in such art to understand its people.
Posts: 817 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
Keep in mind that there is a big difference between culture and popular culture. Rap music is an example of popular culture, an educated person with an understanding and appreciation of culture would not listen to trash like that.

Oh Hank oops Horemheb,
Really!?! I'm educated and I appreciate and enjoy rap music. I'm not saying I love all of it, but there are some talented rappers out there. Whether you want to admit it or not diversity is a part of our american culture. For you to disregard rap saying it's only for the uneducated is disregarding the african american culture here in the states. It's a far out generalization and label. It's like me saying the same thing about country music though I know in some parts of the states that's really popular(like in Texas). I think what you're showing here is the difference in our generations and a difference in opinions.

setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for setithefirst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keepinatreal..i could not agree more!!!! coming from an african american man, i hate rap music, it's a stain on our culture.
Posts: 67 | From: Philadelphia, Pa usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:

I listen to old school rap....Public Enemy. It's in my IPOD now! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are we talking about America?
Is this not supposed to be about Egypt?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
No, it's about PEOPLE...and open communication.
anthropos
Member # 9410

hmmm....yes I guess the name of this forum is not clear enough..
setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
The "name" of the forum is quite clear.
Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Humanized     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
hmmm....yes I guess the name of this forum is not clear enough..

i thought it was about black america culture in egypt!
and there are many egyptian fans of rap music...so whats your point?

Posts: 817 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

So what does rap music in egypt tell us about globalization?

.....in my view that unfortunately only bad american music/television programs/movies and even worse: cultural norms! are being diffused around the globe...

it sickens me

daria1975
Member # 6244

As far as American culture exported to Egypt -- Egyptians watch Oprah. [Big Grin]

At least they don't have Jerry Springer. I don't think any Egyptian would ever speak to an American again if *that* show were broadcast to Egypt.

(Please, God, tell me you guys don't get Jerry Springer! [Eek!] )

anthropos
Member # 9410

Where I live people watch stupid American shows so they can sit back and laugh at how stupid Americans are! Truly they make the rest of humanity look very good in comparison.

Maybe it is the same with Egyptians

setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
Do you have a issue with Americans?
anthropos
Member # 9410

Who doesn't? [Smile]
daria1975
Member # 6244

[Mad]
Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
quote:
Where I live people watch stupid American shows so they can sit back and laugh at how stupid Americans are! Truly they make the rest of humanity look very good in comparison.

Maybe it is the same with Egyptians

can you elaborate so people can understand what you're talking about!
daria1975
Member # 6244

If you think that American shows are representative of true American life, you have a lot to learn. These shows *are* entertainment to us because we never see this stuff in real life. [Roll Eyes]
Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
[Mad]

Chuck D would love this thread [Big Grin]
setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
Thanks Snoozin, at least you get it!!!
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Humanized:
Chuck D would love this thread [Big Grin]

Yeah, boyyyyzzzzz! Oh, that's Flava. Sorry. [Big Grin]
anthropos
Member # 9410

Maybe Egyptians enjoy American culture because it makes them able to feel better about their own Egyptian culture and society.

Ethnic and national notions emerge when in contact with other social groups.

anthropos
Member # 9410

Sure I know that it is not *true* American life yet this is the image you show the world, so on this image the world bases its opinions (true or not)
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by setithefirst:
Thanks Snoozin, at least you get it!!!

We aren't perfect, but who is? [Roll Eyes]
setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
Yes, that is correct. But people should be smart enough now to realize that "images" on TV of certain people,cultures and colors is not necessarily the reality.
daria1975
Member # 6244

Read a daily newspaper from the US. In fact, read several. From news to entertainment to sports to the crime beat to the classifieds. I think that gives a better perspective of American culture than TV does.
anthropos
Member # 9410

Yes but the problem is that the world is drowning in this flood of bad American sit-coms, movies, talk shows etc. that it is unable to keep its head above water and assess the situation in a *dry* way!
setithefirst
Member # 1039

Rate Member
Excellent point.
anthropos
Member # 9410

Snoozin,

Do you read German, French, Chinese, etc. newspapers?

Fortunately the world does not still revolve entirely around U.S.A

daria1975
Member # 6244

Maybe that says more about *your* countries -- importing all the mindless drivel instead of the good stuff! [Roll Eyes]

[Wink]

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Anthrops,
It seems you're here purely to pick a fight. The image that is shown around the world is the same image that gets portrayed here. For instance, we don't generalize England by some Monty Python movie. Or believe every australian plays with crocs in the outback. It's up to the individual to educate themselves of a different culture. I'm saying what is reality and what is a comedy show on TV. We or any other country can't control the media so this issue is worldwide.

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Snoozin,

Do you read German, French, Chinese, etc. newspapers?

Fortunately the world does not still revolve entirely around U.S.A

I read French, Canadian, Egyptian, British, and Israeli daily. But french is the only additional language I have.

I never said the world revolves around the US. [Confused]

anthropos
Member # 9410

That is true Snoozin,

If it was up to me I would ban all American shows and Hollywood films in my country.

Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
maybe i can clear something about why black music and black movies are admired in egypt.

its well kown that TV wasnt known in egypt before the 60'S and not everyone could afford
buying a TV , and the egyptian Tv was opened to the world and trying to bring everything new about world , American movies and music were wide spread every where , and some europeans like UK , France and italy.

anyway , American movies at that time were talking about slavery/black people that touched the egyptians very much and created sympathy with mostly everything black - african and anti-slavery. also american black actor/actres were unique bcause they werent many or at least what we used to know in egypt.
but still no one can deny the black music , jazz , sax and the many great movies about black people to be a main part of our daily entertainment.

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Humanized:
maybe i can clear something about why black music and black movies are admired in egypt.

its well kown that TV wasnt known in egypt before the 60'S and not everyone could afford
buying a TV , and the egyptian Tv was opened to the world and trying to bring everything new about world , American movies and music were wide spread every where , and some europeans like UK , France and italy.

anyway , American movies at that time were talking about slavery/black people that touched the egyptians very much and created sympathy with mostly everything black - african and anti-slavery. also american black actor/actors was unique bcause they werent many or at least what we used to know in egypt.
but still no one can deny the black music , jazz , sax and the many great movies about black people to be a main part of our daily entertainment.

Cool. [Smile] It's nice to know Egyptians have open, empathetic hearts.

And jazz, in my opinion, is one of America's greatest inventions. And it was invented by African-Americans. [Smile]

anthropos
Member # 9410

Yes jazz is nice

But if we widen this discussion up...

What else in Egyptian popular culture is considered "foreign" ? And possible reasons for it?

Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
are you trying to hijack snoozin's thread about black culture? [Razz]

where you from Anthropos?
and why dont you ask specific questions to make it easier! [Smile]

anthropos
Member # 9410

Well I was just trying to throw some ideas at you!

And no, no hijacking involved

I am from the land of fire and ice

Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
iceland?
anthropos
Member # 9410

.........no comment [Smile]
run_fast_run
Member # 9661

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for run_fast_run     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
As far as American culture exported to Egypt -- Egyptians watch Oprah. [Big Grin]

At least they don't have Jerry Springer. I don't think any Egyptian would ever speak to an American again if *that* show were broadcast to Egypt.

(Please, God, tell me you guys don't get Jerry Springer! [Eek!] )

yeeees,we got jerry springer,and maurry too!well,if what's on them is real this it sucks but some says it's all acting,tell me it's acting plz:D
Posts: 23 | From: NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by run_fast_run:
yeeees,we got jerry springer,and maurry too!well,if what's on them is real this it sucks but some says it's all acting,tell me it's acting plz:D

Oh, no, that's awful! [Frown] Jerry Spring is mostly acting. But I haven't watched it in a lonnnnnng time.

Maury, well he seems to be nothing but doing paternity tests on women who have no idea who their baby's father is. *That* unfortunately does happen with some frequency.

But PLEASE know that when we watch these shows, we stare at them like they are train wrecks too, because we just can't believe people can be so weird! [Eek!]

yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horemheb,

I am educated and I like certain types of rap like Tupac. Some of it I cannot understand but a few sensible people are present!
Like Anthropos says alot of American stuff is in poor taste but people sem to suck it up. As a guest in USA, I keep my mouth shut and observe the social milieu.

It is the black American ethos in some portions of popular culture that has made it 'hip' and real based on the rejection of certain majority American behaviours and the resistance to injustice!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Fight the Power.

[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com