EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Any experience with the Egyptian Tariffs, Customs, and Taxes ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any experience with the Egyptian Tariffs, Customs, and Taxes ??
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone, I was wondering what I would have to do to bring my car from the USA
would I have to pay the ridicules 300% tariffs to bring it in , or I can bring it in as (gomruk) and if I can< what is the max limit to keep it in Egypt before they through it out of the country of come back at me with the bezzilion dollars in tariffs
The care is more than 5 years old (special edition) and I am dual citizenship, if you have any information or advice
Where should I go, who should I ask, The Egyptian ## ###### (what government organization) or the American Embassy or what, PLEASE HELP

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure that you have everything sorted out before you send it here. I am sorry to say that this, but this is one of those areas where backsheesh rules.

I had a horrible experience with customs in Alexandria few years ago. I sent boxes of household goods from my home in England, intending to use them in my new home in Luxor. The total value was about £10,000 sterling. I had a customs bill of over £4,000 which had to be paid in sterling. I refused to pay it and sent the lot back to England.

Others, who knew who to 'talk' to, have got whole containers through for a fraction of that amount.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think as a expat (use your american passport) you can avoid some taxes concerning your car. I think you can bring one car in without taxes but I am not completely sure. Hope you find someone to give you the correct answer.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes this is true, I can bring the care and they would give me a Gomruk plate that is only valid for 6 months and I would have to take the care out of the country otherwise the will impound it.

I was asking for more like permemant entry ,
someone told me that since I am an American living in Egypt they would allow me to use it with Normal Private Plates (without the need to pay any taxes as long as I dont sell it , and as long sa it is fully insured.

quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie:
I think as a expat (use your american passport) you can avoid some taxes concerning your car. I think you can bring one car in without taxes but I am not completely sure. Hope you find someone to give you the correct answer.

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fully insured I'm gasping for breath.

I have yet to come across a car here (or anything else) that is even marginally insured.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
?? Why that? Insurance is is a very big business in Egypt
And they do pay when you need indemnity (most of the time at least)

quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
Fully insured I'm gasping for breath.

I have yet to come across a car here (or anything else) that is even marginally insured.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com