EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Henna body art

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Henna body art
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Everyone!
Does anyone know anything about henna body art? I've been thinking about trying it out, but I wanted to get some feedback on it first.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gail,
It is quite beautiful when done right. My husband freelances on the side as a graphic designer, quite the"artist".
We have experimented with different "henna colors" from egypt.
We just brought back the pure "black henna" last trip. It last longer on the skin. I can get all the details from him if you like, I know he used a very dark tea, mixed it set over 24 hrs. ,I believe, before applying it to the skin. We wrapped it with a cloth slept overnight , I think it was a sugar solution applied over , wrapped up. My girlfriends have had him put designs on their hands. I love it, because , I am to scared for a tattoo,plus the health risks of it.
It is beautiful on the fingernails, looks more orange on the nails.
We have found the"Black henna " lasts longer shows up better. It is funny you mentioned this I just teased him and said I am waiting for my"scorpion" on my upper arm or hand. He draws everything out first on paper. Then he draws with a special pencil on skin, applies henna and fills it in . It is great fun!
Let me know, I will get the specifics for you.
By the way henna is used for a marriage on hands and feet. Many arab women put henna in their hair. Also many Indian cultures use it, you can find henna in health food stores , psychic readers(reputable ones carry it)that have a store attached to there business usually, Indian stores for sure(better quality). But of course the pure egyptian henna from "Egypt" is the best. Top of the line. You can tell by the scent of it, and color and quality.
It really is quite beautiful the "henna body art"!

Posts: 273 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually I think the sudani henna is more beautiful...Its black and it last longer..and it looks so nice too.. And the best Henna painters has to be the Sudani women. They are really good painters and they draw some nice stuff.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should be very careful with black henna as it is toxic in most cases due to the additives it contains.

If you do a google search on "black henna" and "toxic" you will get lots of information on this subject.

But you can always make it yourself or buy organic black henna - it's available in Egypt.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 17 May 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alana,
I would love to find out how, and even if, I can get henna from Egypt. And of course I need to find someone who can apply it because I wanted to put a design on my back. Something small but intriguing. I have been considering a tattoo, but in order to get the one I want I need to know how to write something in Arabic and I don't know how. Anyway, whatever information you can provide would be great.

I had done a little research on Google and I'm a little wary of the black henna.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Serendipity & Dalia,
I love your UserNames, by the way!

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I have been thinking about this for a while. I'll let you know if I actually find someone who can do the artwork.

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats sad to know .. i really liked black henna
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

kkkaaa,
Thanks for the information on black henna. I would prefer the reddish brown anyway, so I'll make sure to stick with that and ensure that I ask the necessary questions about it as well.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gail:
Alana,
I have been considering a tattoo, but in order to get the one I want I need to know how to write something in Arabic and I don't know how.

There are lots of calligraphy artists in Cairo, you could have one write it for you and then take it to the tattoo artist or whoever is going to apply it for you.

I only know a real tatto-artist, I don't think he does henna tattoos but I can ask.

As for the black henna, you can get organic black henna produced by Sekem in any Sekem- or natural food store in Cairo. The Sekem henna is distributed under a different brand name in Germany and has been tested there - it's free of toxic ingredients!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia,

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm in the US. I haven't found anyone yet who can write Arabic. I could ask my boyfriend, but I wanted to surprise him.

PRchick
Member # 4794

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PRchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've just started doing the henna tattos here and I've thought about trying one.
Posts: 225 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
is there any good henna painters in <cairo? I tried it soo many times, but nothing good and I am no good myself...

By the way where can i find the best calligraphy writers in egypt?
I have some project that i am thinking about doing and I need Good calligraphy writers

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gail:
Dalia,

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm in the US. I haven't found anyone yet who can write Arabic. I could ask my boyfriend, but I wanted to surprise him.

If you are in a city with a large immigrant population and enough Meditteraneans around then look for a Lebanese or North African grocer. Many times they carry cosmetics from their homeland too.

And I would think if they could import products into the USA they'd have to pass FDA and USDA requirements.

My husband occassionally helps out at various immigrant grocers and you won't believe the red tape they have to do to make sure the product can be imported let alone sold here in the USA.

Most of the time middle men importers do this work themselves, but if its a specialty item the grocer must do the paperwork. It can take years to get a product cleared to be imported.

http://www.citypages.com/bestof2002/foodstuff/bestof1700.asp

International bazaars will also sell cosmetics.

I know you can get both the red and black Henna here in the Twin Cities. I see Somali classmates painted hands all the time. And no its not just for weddings only. It also occupies families with alot of girls, at least this was the answer I got from a Somali woman with loads of nieces.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

sonomod,
Thanks. I'll ask around. I'm sure if I do some networking, I'll eventually come up with what I need. I might need to take a trip into Philly. I'll be very excited to share with you the results!

PRchick,
In which part of the states do you live? East... West?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com