EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Muslim Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muslim Question
EgyptianMau
Member # 9655

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianMau     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this doesn't sound too ignorant of a question but is American Muslim and Middle East/Foreign Muslim religion very different? And if yes then how so?
Posts: 68 | From: Easton Pa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No it's not. My ..well, my friend is an American muslim and we pray the same, talk the same and think the same!!
Taking into consideration that we r both sunni

--------------------
Same crap...Different toilet

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends.... I roughly see three different *groups* of Muslims in my area.

Nation of Islam, in which many African Americans are members, isn't really Islam to me. (Personal opinion).

Muslims who were born here of middle eastern, african, and south asian descent *generally* are more lax in their practice of Islam. Many don't pray regularly or fast. Many drink alcohol. This isn't a *different* Islam per se, it's more a relaxation of religious practices like almost every other American has done. Well, I say that realizing there is a huge fundamentalist Christian movement that has been building since 1985.

Many Muslim immigrants who live here seem to practice their Islam similarly to what I saw in Egypt -- praying 5x a day, fasting, wearing hijab, not drinking alcohol or touching pork.

If you are interested in Islam, one book I really enjoyed was *Muhammad,* by Karen Armstrong. It's his biography that is very accessible to Western readers, and I think it generally portrays an objective view of Islam.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran
Member # 9740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slippery scholarship, November 14, 2001

Reviewer: A reader from Bay Area, CA United States

Potential readers should know, right off the bat, that Ms. Armstrong's many books with Islamic themes are sold on Muslim "Dawah" (missionary) websites, cheek-by-jowl with various dreary missionary tracts produced by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. This information should give readers an idea of the level of objectivity with which Ms. Armstrong approaches her subject matter.

Everywhere you look in this immensely silly tome you find Ms. Armstrong bending over backwards to present Islam, Muhammed and Islamic history in the most favorable light possible. Various measures are used to achieve this effect: selective ommission of pertinent but unflattering facts is a favorite tactic. But Ms. Armstrong really shines when she almost comically editorializes about subjects that may cause readers -- especially Western readers – to view Islam in an unfavorable light.

For instance, Armstrong correctly notes that Muhammed financed much of his movement by attacking and looting merchant caravans from the Meccans. However, she hastens to tell us, this is nothing to be concerned about, because raids on merchant caravans were very common in Arabia at the time. Okay, but Armstrong doesn't explain why a "Messenger of God" displays the same moral characteristics as "everybody else". Aren't Prophets supposed to be better than the rest of us? She also assures us that Muhammed's caravan raiders never killed anyone during their numerous acts of piracy. Right – the caravans just handed over their loot dozens of times without any resistance at all. Amazing how tolerant they were. Meanwhile, elsewhere in the book, Armstrong justifies the early Muslims' often hair-raisingly violent actions by citing their nasty oppression at the hands of these self-same Meccans -- rather odd behavior for a group of people who happily handed over their riches without unsheathing a single sword, don't you think?

Armstrong uses the pathetic "everybody was doing it" excuse yet again, when describing the massacre of the 700-900 tribe members of the Banu Qurayza at the behest of Muhammed. We are told that we should condemn this act "without reservation" according to Ms. Armstrong, but then she immediately assures us that "it was not as serious a crime as it would be today." Where exactly does the "without reservation" come into play here? (Never mind the fact, which Armstrong conveniently leaves out, that the Banu Qurayza surrendered to Muhammed's forces because they were led to believe that their lives would be spared. Indeed, as Muhammed famously said under other circumstances, "war is deception.")

I don't recommend buying this book, but if you happen to do so, please also purchase some decent scholarship from the likes of Bernard Lewis, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern history at Princeton University (Armstrong teaches at an obscure rabbinical college in Britain.) Read the Lewis books first so that you can appreciate when and where Ms. Armstrong's slippery scholarship goes astray. You can also better appreciate the unintentionally humorous sections of her books that way, too [Smile] ))

Posts: 524 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran
Member # 9740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know why Karen has not yet converted to Islam? She seems to have such a high regard for the faith - to the point of giving it the nice/tolerant/modern presentation. Could it be that she thinks she's too sophisticated to believe in a 7th century religion that is steeped with superstition, violence, and misogyny? Or that such faiths are best observed by those of non-European ancestry? If she does think of Islam to be such a crude faith that is not worthy of her membership, then isn't she guilty of "carrying a complex burden of prejudice that is central to her identity"? Karen Armstrong has not converted to Islam because she knows, in her heart of hearts, on which side the bread is buttered
Posts: 524 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Armstrong is a highly-respected religious scholar the world over, among Christians, Jews, and Muslims alike. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

She doesn't believe in God. I can't believe you don't know that given your *extensive* knowledge of the woman.
Fran
Member # 9740

Rate Member
Koran Armstrong has nil credibility. She is a confused woman who is still living in the early seventies trying to get everyone into a big group hug, and if that means blurring facts then so be it. What she says about a religion is not what the religion says about itself or even its proponents but what she would like it to be so every can just snuggle up and love each other. She is neither a scholar nor even a good student. So when you read anything of hers, it literally is what she would like it to be but unfortunately presents it as if the religion or philosphy is what she is saying. Very very confusing all around.
daria1975
Member # 6244

Heh heh. You think just because a person puts something into historical and cultural perspective, she is an apologist for Islam?

She states the facts objectively. You are free to condone history or not based on your own personal values. I have no problem with that. But to say she is in any way slanting the truth is ludicrous.

Show Time
Member # 8513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Show Time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Till now Snoozing you can't tell where is kafir4ever [Big Grin] darling you responded to a blind,deaf, and retarded man. And even he can't read your reply [Smile]
Posts: 627 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Show Time
Member # 8513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Show Time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fran:
Koran Armstrong has nil credibility. She is a confused woman who is still living in the early seventies trying to get everyone into a big group hug, and if that means blurring facts then so be it. What she says about a religion is not what the religion says about itself or even its proponents but what she would like it to be so every can just snuggle up and love each other. She is neither a scholar nor even a good student. So when you read anything of hers, it literally is what she would like it to be but unfortunately presents it as if the religion or philosphy is what she is saying. Very very confusing all around.

source

http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700&highlight=karen+armstrong

Posts: 627 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam..I think we all know that faithfreedom.org....has nothing but garbabe and what do you expect from a homless dog..except fishing garbabe out of trash cans and hash itover and over again..Simply these people can nt think on their own or have an itellegent openion about things...so if they are happy eating garbabe..let them enjoy it...I know you and me can not help it seeing someone fishing out Trash to live on...

OUR FAITH IS MUCH GREATER AND STRONG ENOUGH TO RESIST AND IGNORE SUCH HOMELESS DOGS...

Peace
Tiger

--------------------
PEACE

Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

OMG, I'm speaking to a machine. I thought at least that was a genuine personal response.

Stupid me....

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
OMG, I'm speaking to a machine. I thought at least that was a genuine personal response.

Stupid me....

I had read an article by Armstrong off of www.projectmuse.org.

Definately a former nun. She had a tendancy to say something while pushing the envelop and the message itself did not match her words.

Not to many other "academics" would be so bold to speak out of the side of their mouths in such a manner.

Not impressed.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Read her Spiral Staircase.

Might give you a better idea where she's coming from.

Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger1225:
Sam..I think we all know that faithfreedom.org....has nothing but garbabe and what do you expect from a homless dog..except fishing garbabe out of trash cans and hash itover and over again..Simply these people can nt think on their own or have an itellegent openion about things...so if they are happy eating garbabe..let them enjoy it...I know you and me can not help it seeing someone fishing out Trash to live on...

OUR FAITH IS MUCH GREATER AND STRONG ENOUGH TO RESIST AND IGNORE SUCH HOMELESS DOGS...

Peace
Tiger

Shutt up u old faggot [Razz] do u have a djinn in ur nose LOL
Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
It depends.... I roughly see three different *groups* of Muslims in my area.

Nation of Islam, in which many African Americans are members, isn't really Islam to me. (Personal opinion).

I personal believe too, I have studied this be4, in the *African (Afro) American theatre. One topic was about racial discrimination and how Islam was such a solution for them as it forbids slaving and discrimination, some of them are Muslims in official papers only as it goes to their ancestors who converted to Islam for such reasons.
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harem girl
Member # 3817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for harem girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EgyptianMau:
I hope this doesn't sound too ignorant of a question but is American Muslim and Middle East/Foreign Muslim religion very different? And if yes then how so?

The religion should not be different - but the culture may be very different (and that may affect your perception and expectation)
Posts: 41 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harem girl
Member # 3817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for harem girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Definately a former nun.[/QB]

See her book "Through the Narrow Gate"
Posts: 41 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com