EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Documents Needed to Marry in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Documents Needed to Marry in Cairo
Roxann
Member # 8873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to be marrying in Cairo and I have my original certificate of Divorce that was stamped by my state that I live in and then I sent it to the Egyptian Consulate for their stamps and approvals. I thought that was all I needed to do here - besides my passport of course. But today I talked to someone that got married there, but she is from a different country than I am (I am from the USA) and she said that my papers need to be authenticated in Washington before they would be accepted in Cairo. Does anyone know?

I contacted the American Embassy in Cairo before I started all this to make sure I did it correct and they told me what I now have. So would they tell me the wrong thing just so I don't get married?

Posts: 4 | From: St. Paul, MN, United States | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roxann
Member # 8873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did look at this and have been relying on this. It says ALTERNATIVELY - so doesn't that mean OR and not AND.
Posts: 4 | From: St. Paul, MN, United States | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got married in Cairo 3 weeks ago. I am divorced so I had to provide divorce papers. I sent mine to the state and then to Washington to have them authenticated. If you had them authenticated at the Egyptian embassy then you're good to go. When you get to the embassy they will give you a paper that tells you what to do. It has addresses and what not because nothing is in the same building there. Be prepared to do plenty of running around. The US embassy opens at 8am and closes at 12pm so get an early start. On the paper it will say you need your divorce papers translated into Arabic and authenticated, this you can do through the Egyptian embassy here. I didn't have this done at all, my husband simply gave the guy 5 pounds and he stamped it without seeing anything. If your fiance is anything like my husband he'll know exactly how to deal with the proper people. When you get to Egypt you will need a no objection statement from the US embassy which they will sign and stamp, then you have to take it to a place there to have the Egyptian gov't stamp it, then you will go to the Minister of Foreign Affairs' marriage court to get married. They will give you a form to fill out then you will have to go to the post office to buy a stamp there that they will attach to the marriage certificate. Oh before you go to do anything you will have to go to a instant photo place to have a photo taken of yourself and fiance. You will need 5 for each of you. They will be attached to the marriage certificate. That's just the start. The real fun is after the marriage when you have to get it stamp and stamp and stamp and stamp and authenticated and translated and stamped again. It's a real pain in the ass. Make sure you have at least 10 days to spend on this from start to finish. It's time consuming. They make it very hard for Egyptians to marry foreigners, trust me. Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by Roxann:
I am going to be marrying in Cairo and I have my original certificate of Divorce that was stamped by my state that I live in and then I sent it to the Egyptian Consulate for their stamps and approvals. I thought that was all I needed to do here - besides my passport of course. But today I talked to someone that got married there, but she is from a different country than I am (I am from the USA) and she said that my papers need to be authenticated in Washington before they would be accepted in Cairo. Does anyone know?

I contacted the American Embassy in Cairo before I started all this to make sure I did it correct and they told me what I now have. So would they tell me the wrong thing just so I don't get married?

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever notice how these official things are done in Egypt by the foreign women?
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://egypt.usembassy.gov/consular/marriage.htm

This website gives only a snippet of information, everything you really need to know you will find once you get to Cairo. Do print out the information about the addresses from this website, that will be helpful. I'm sorry I can't tell you the exact addresses for the translation office and authentication and stamping offices. My husband dealt with this stuff. When you get the paper from the US embassy it will tell you the translation office is in the Minister of Foreign affair's court..it is not. But you will need to visit that translation office to get the address for the actual translation/authentication office. On the day you get married just stop in that office and ask. I believe it's on the 12th floor. The marriage court is on the 4th floor. The authentication place for the English translation of you marriage certificate is in an old run down building. You will go there first and get a paper that will need to be stamped. You will take that back and they will tell you where to get your certificate translated. You will get it translated and take it back there to get signed and stamped. You will then need to take it to the US embassy for another stamp. The women at the this old run down building are real pieces of work. Awful mean women with attitudes. Hope your fiance is a patient man! If you need any more info just send me a PM.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

We only dealt with Egyptians, women and men. Oh except for the one guy at the US embassy. He was really nice. The rest were Egyptians. The men were ok but the women, yikes!
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madame Mohamed:
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

We only dealt with Egyptians, women and men. Oh except for the one guy at the US embassy. He was really nice. The rest were Egyptians. The men were ok but the women, yikes!
Yeah, your husband went through the whole process holding your hand.

But i don't think this is typical.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know how this all turns out.I have an egy guy that I have been talking to since, sept of 2005. we talk about marraige, but he is not pushey, it me. I dediced to come see him this summer when I attend a confence at American Univerisity in Cairo. If i am accepted I will study their. Insha Allah, if all goes well, I would like to get married, while I am in Cairo studing. Will it be just as hard if I am a student living in Cairo?
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettysweetlady
Member # 10143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for prettysweetlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, well you will need a divorce decree orginal one stamped from your government. A affidavate stating your free to marry from your embassy. For American's you also need to show your latest income tax. You will need six passport pictures as well for the ministry of foreign affairs in cairo egypt. As well you will need two male muslim to be witnesses. There is alot of work to just get married here in egypt I know cause I got married here. Also, the ministry will ask your husband to be to testify that he is not married to anyone else as well if he is in military services or exempted from the army or going to go to the army. If he is on call for army or in the army he may not be able to marry you. But if all that is good then you can marry here in cairo.
Posts: 16 | From: Egypt | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Schwarma
Member # 9632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Schwarma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We live right outside of DC and I work in the city so it was easy for us. Additionally I live in the city and county of my divorce 12 years ago. We did however overstimate ourselves and how long each step is supposed to take and ended up paying HUGE courier fees and enlisting EVERY favor I had in the County records Office, The Secretary of the Commonwealth of Virginia's Office, and the Office of the Secretary of State, because I'm a Fed we used my credentials in Egypt and SAILED throught he US half of the processing. He was inspired by my efficiency, and in TWO mornings, would leave me in our suite with tea and fruit as I slept and he made EVERY stamp including a residency stamp in my VISA for Egypt. Then we were off to Hurghada and Sharm for diving and an amazing honeymoon. Our story was very unusual, and WILD AND WONDERFUL!! One note, when we went to Lazhoughly Sq, there were lots of couples lines up to get "married". While it isn't a major ceremony, dress for the occasion. Jeans and a rucksack make for a sloppy show.
Posts: 31 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com