EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Anniversary and Ramadan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anniversary and Ramadan
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Team...Our first wedding anniversary is on September 21 which falls on a Thursday. As we have to work Friday we plan to have a quiet dinner at home Thursday. Originally we thought about taking a suite at the Ritz on the following Saturday, and then a Dinner Cruise on the potomac River (like the Nile dinner cruises). Then today, driving into work, we remembered Ramadan.... September 23. Saturday. Fargin gargin. What say ye? Do we whoop it up and wrap Ramadan first night with our Anniversary?

And yes, I plan on wearing the stilettos, but we will be at a DIFFERENT Ritz. We promised each other to never go back to the one in Georgetown... ahem

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, tell me how that dinner cruise is. [Smile] That was my original plan for my wedding reception, but it never worked out.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not celebrate your anniversary this weekend?
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
Why not celebrate your anniversary this weekend?

That's a good idea! I was wracking my brains for helpful advice, but couldn't think of any. That would be nice if Cosmo and her husband could work that into their schedules.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is wrong with making the first breakfast of Ramamdan and your annniversary a together special event. I would have thought that would have been both special and holy. After all that is the difference between Islam, it is your life not just something you do on a special day.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA! I had to twist his arm to get him to acquiese till Saturday! he wanted me to take Thrusday and Friday off of work!! Originally he was throwing around ideas about Miami or Las Vegas and I had to put the fast kibosh on that noise. Himself is quite the romantic when he applies himself. But he has ZERO concept of budgeting.

Ashkar, please explain "first breakfast" to me. It is my understanding that we fast by day, and feast by night during Ramadan.

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmogirl:

Ashkar, please explain "first breakfast" to me. It is my understanding that we fast by day, and feast by night during Ramadan.

You *break* the *fast* at night, after sundown.
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
DOH!
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breaking the fast (iftar) is quite a special time, although I am a christian I take part in this as often as I can. It is a very family time, everyone tries to get together. You start with dates and then have the best food and on the TV are all the best TV programs. I would have thought combining your anniversary with that would have been really nice.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sumbula2
Member # 11665

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sumbula2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love ramadan : )
Posts: 140 | From: TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
Breaking the fast (iftar) is quite a special time, although I am a christian I take part in this as often as I can. It is a very family time, everyone tries to get together. You start with dates and then have the best food and on the TV are all the best TV programs. I would have thought combining your anniversary with that would have been really nice.

Some people can't even hold hands in Ramadan, not even after breaking it, so although spiritually it may not be very romantic, it is not about romantic love
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

Some people can't even hold hands in Ramadan, not even after breaking it, so although spiritually it may not be very romantic, it is not about romantic love
As I understand there are no restrictions after sunset. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

to my understanding Islam does combine sprituality with love. there are prayers to be said before and after making love. The Koran tells men and women to enjoy their sexual life, within marriage of course.

NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmogirl:
OK Team...Our first wedding anniversary is on September 21 which falls on a Thursday. As we have to work Friday we plan to have a quiet dinner at home Thursday. Then today, driving into work, we remembered Ramadan.... September 23. Saturday.

Ramadan is expected to start on Sunday 24th September ....

IslamOnline.net & News Agencies

LONDON — The Islamic Crescent Observation Project (ICOP) has said that the first day of the holy fasting month of Ramadan will astronomically fall on September 24.

"The first day of Ramadan cannot be Saturday, September 23, as the moon will not be present in the sky after the sunset on Friday, September 22," ICOP Head Mohammad Odeh said in a statement cited by the London-based Al-Quds Press news agency.

"Thus, the first day of Ramadan cannot be Saturday whether in countries that depend on moon sighting to determine the beginning of the month or in those which start fasting if the crescent was born even if not seen," he added.

http://www.islam-online.net/English/News/2006-09/04/07.shtml

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
We sussed that out, and have changed plans to make Saturday a nice evening out together, but return home early, and Sunday we are going out to an Arabic place Mr. K found to have the "break-fast".

Ugh I have an hour and a half of work left today and I'm just READY to be HOME!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com