EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » LEGAL MARRIAGE IN EGYPT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LEGAL MARRIAGE IN EGYPT
Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Amina20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello fellow members [Wink]

I was just wondering if its easy to get married legally in egypt. Im from the UK and engaged to a lovely egyptian. He's studying his post masters and working as physician in cairo. We want to marry in egypt and live there for a while at least until his studying is over which may take couple years. He Doesn't want to live in Uk he's got his heart set on canada as he said its good work for doctors there. He's started the canadian papers process already as it takes a long time to be accepted.

Anyway, we want to have an islamic wedding which will be in UK, and then we wish to marry legally in egypt. Do you no what I would need to be able to marry legally? has any one else been in my situation? And if we decided to live in egypt how long am I allowed to stay in that country... [Confused]

I am just unsure about some of these...
We are both muslims and follow the qiran doing things halal way. [Smile]

Any advice about marrying and living in egypt would be much apprecitated. Thank you.

Posts: 10 | From: Wales | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got married there on valentines day 2006 . it took us 1 day to have a lawyer go through all our papers we were both divorced before i needed my passport and his also . birth cert.for him the next day we went and did it in 10 mins. but we had a big party afterward . very easy to do
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amina20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh wow really... thank you so much...
And congratulations on your wedding..

Are you from the uk? is your marriage legal in uk or any other country apart from egypt?

Thanks for your advice, really it feels a weight is lifted from me already.

Posts: 10 | From: Wales | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you register the marriage it's registered in the egyptian embassy here in the uk and the marriage is recognised here.

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am from the usa but it is legal all over
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amina20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So its ok if I marry in egypt even though I will have just a tourist visa? and it will be valid legally in any other country as well as egypt.

I heard I need a sworn statement, saying that Im single and free to marry etc... is this true that I need to present that in order to get married in egypt?

Thank you so much again. [Smile]

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the info you need is on the British embassy web site/Cairo

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1067967335955

Good luck

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
yes it is all i needed was my passport. and my divorce papers.then they gave me a visa for 3 months after that but you can extend that anytime
Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
Thank you penny, and thank you to all...

Does anybody live in egypt? is it hard to immigrate to live there?

Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get married on your tourist visa, you can then go to get a residency visa which lasts for 5 years, you can apply for an egyptian passport after you are married.

I didn't understand what you mean "is it hard to immigrate to live there?"

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
Thanks..

I just meant to immigrate to that country, live there etc...

[Smile]

Screw you
Member # 11942

It's ok, I think it depends on what kind of expectations you have, if your husband helps you to adjust and learn the language.
Take everything slowly and easy on yourself and enjoy every minute. Listen and watch the women around you, maybe you can't communicate in the beginning but you can learn so much by watching.
Good luck

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
He's worried that I wont like it there as he said its quite a busy place... But Im hoping I will adjust and as you say take it slowly. His family are supportive and will help as much as him.
I can't speak arabic, so my future husband is learning me, so I will hopefully catch on quick with the language.
I was also hoping I could start studying after marriage in egypt too... he wishes for me to further my studies while hes studying and working.
Do you think this is a good idea? I like the idea but would I be allowed to study in egypt cairo.. do they offer good places to study that have english speaking teachers..

Its alot to find out, but this isn't my main concern... out marriage was the big issue and making it legal and thanks to you lovely people I have good advice.
Thanks for the good luck..

Screw you
Member # 11942

it's more than busy and sometimes you loose your breath. learn the numbers first(reading, writing and pronunciation), they will help a lot, then it's just the case of learning small words and asking the meanings of new words. There are places that you can study at, there are places where you could work if you were intrested as this will help in learning the language and meeting new people and making friends and help you to adjust and adapt.

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,is so easy to get the Orfi marriage,ie licence to shag.

Why do very few don't go the proper marriage route?

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
Yes, Im hoping to work as I will probably be in egypt for a while, so best to work as it would be good for learning as you said.

I don't like the Idea of just an Orfi marriage, this is why we want a legal marriage asap. It's harder to get married in uk to a non british and I wanted my family present at my wedding, so this is why we chose to have an islamic wedding in uk first.
Once we are in egypt we will get married legally [Smile]

Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in same situation as you.Known my husband as just friend for 6 years,then 3 years ago we decided to marry legally.My advice is dont take information from just anyone on this, as PENNY said, all information is on british embassy web site. Follow that. No need to pay any lawyers. It is possible to ask for special marriage visa for your fiance to come to marry in UK. This lasts for 5 months, with conditions. If you have known each other for reasonable period of time and you are in position to sponsor his visit here it is fairly easy to get. If you marry in Egypt you can apply for 5 year residents visa after you are married. I have lived there for 3 years, life there can be tough, but it can be paradise too. Good luck with your marriage plans.
Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, marriage visa to UK lasts 6 MONTHS! not 5.
Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh really mine says 2years ..ends 2008
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amina20:
Yes, Im hoping to work as I will probably be in egypt for a while, so best to work as it would be good for learning as you said.

I don't like the Idea of just an Orfi marriage, this is why we want a legal marriage asap. It's harder to get married in uk to a non british and I wanted my family present at my wedding, so this is why we chose to have an islamic wedding in uk first.
Once we are in egypt we will get married legally [Smile]

just cause your married islamic way here will not give you the right to live together or be onhoney moon together here its not reconised so the egyptian authorities will want it legaly stamped from here for you to sleep with eacht other cus thats what u be doing whenur together at night yes or no ,and the BRITISH HOME OFFICE WILL NOT STAMP IT HERE CUS ITS NOT RECONISED BEEN THERE AND DONE IT AND REFUSED WENT TO EGYPT TO MARRY INSTEAD AND GUESS WHAT BE CAREFUL SOMETIME OR MAY BE IF THEY ARE FEELIGN PISSED OFF THEN MAY ASK FOR A INPEDIMENT I HAD IT DONE HERE GIVING ME PERMISSION TO MARRY THERE MOST OF THE TIME THEY DONT WANT IT BUT HAVE KNOWN SOME TO GO AND THEY BLOODY ASKED FOR IT YOU NEED TO TAKE POT LUCK CUS NOT EVERY THING IS THE SAME IT CHAMGES ALL THE TIME ALL ADVISORS GIVE DIFFERENT RULES OUT IVE SEEN THAT ON HERE ,I GOT MY HUSBAND HERE ON A TOTAL DIFFERENT VISA AND IT WAS HARD BT I DID IT ,,,AND WE WAS LEGALY MARRIED HERE IN 2004 THROUGH ISLAMIC BUT WASNT RECONISED FOR IT VALID IN EGYPT ,BUT DONT MEAN IT CUDS CHANGE .....
my husband is here pn a temperm visa which costs us thousands ,not like u are going to do ..good luck on your forth coming marriage .w'salaams ....

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
Hi, I understand that an islamic wedding isn't recognised in egypt. I know we wouldn't have rights to stay in a hotel together, this is also a good reason to marry legally.

Im hoping it will be simple to marry in egypt legally, but I guess I shall see.

Why is it so hard for people who fall in love with foreigners?!? I wish everyone best of luck.

FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
no its not reconised here as well its reconised in egypt if your not of forign but as a firgner your marrying a egyptian u need to marry at the ministry which is **** really im sorry its dgrading marriage sorry ...have a islamic ceromony after wards the imman does this i had mione blessed after wards even though i was laready married in the eyes of islam but to get it reconised for the uk you have to marry at the ministry and its **** im really sorry its hard wrk and have good running shoes as well and i hope you got a health heart cus its knakering ..lol but hey good luck !!!!
Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
Can anyone give advise... about living out of your home country for more than 3 months.
I have been told by a friend, that if you live out of your country like UK for more than 3 months you loose some rights. I'm a little confused on the subject.

Apparantly I would have to come back from egypt at least every 3 months in order to maintain and keep some rights in UK.?
Hmmmmm.... sounds a bit strange... have any one else heard of this, or have had any problems living from your country for a while?

Do I let them no that Im going to stay in egypt for a while and may be back after a while. ?

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amina

Judging by the variety of replies above I hope you have worked out this is probably not the best place for reliable advice. Do your research on the internet with the appropriate UK government agency.

To the best of my knowledge as a British citizen you do not loose any 'rights' by living abroad and you certainly don't need to let anyone in authority know you are going. If you plan to be abroad a long time you might want to consider your future state pension benefits ( although who knows what that will be by the time some of us get to claim it!). You could consider paying voluntary national insurance contributions to keep your full entitlment.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/class3.htm

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amina20
Member # 11135

Rate Member
Thanks Penny, I've researched on the internet about some things like marriage in egypt. But I just couldn't find anything to do with rights of country for british citizen etc.

I wanted to find out from people with experience in these matters, as It helps alot, there views.

National insurance is what I was worried about... so thanks, I think its a good idea to pay that. [Smile]

xxbigkisses
Member # 11020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxbigkisses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the recent facts:
in the usa, u must take all documents, all your marriage papers, divorce papers death certificates and birth certificates all first to the secretary of state to be authenticated.. 2nd: all the papers that the state gives u back with all authentications on it and the reference paper they give u, u must send these to the egyptian embassy in the usa, ny ny for the egyptian stamp on the back of these documents. wihtout these, u cannot legally be married in egypt. i dont care what anyone is trying to tell u here. i have done it and i am going to do it again. these things have to be done before u marry in egypt. 3rd. make sure u got your visa from the egyptian embassy in ny ny at the same place. look these addresses up on line. o and dont tell them about your marriage plans.. they dont take kindly to those reasons on a tourist visa. 4th, once u r in egypt, you and your man have to go to the us embassy in cairo(dokki) to sign a paper(and also show your proof documents u have) that u r free to marry. and the man must take a special paper to be singed by his church or mosque people saying he is free to marry. for christian: saying he has never been married. there was also some other funky paper i signed there but i couldnt read the arabic and my husband was filling in answers. 5th. must apply for marriage at the ministry of justice building(garden city) and also there u r to be married. and u must have 2 male witnesses there with u. no women. the egyptians pick any men in the waiting room and ask them, if u cant bring anyone u know. in this building, your egyptian man will have to do all the talking because there is not much english being spoken there. and the actual marriage is horrible to me. o yeah, u must take 5 photos of your face and 5 photos of your mans face to be stapled to the marriage papers during the marriage. all u do is sign the papers. now the new laws egyptian is the muslim marriages r now being recorded by a mazoon(like a judge). but it is not a legal marriage unless u follow those embassies laws. which r the ones i told u. usa has states which govern groups of cities and counties.
dont trust the egyptian people when it comes to money. learn your arabic basic numbers.. it is simple. these people will fight u verbally and lie just to take more money than what something is worth. but i still enjoy the social life i have there. i will return late in 2007. nasr city in cairo is the best i have seen for business... and masrgedida. all fun.
good luck,
xxbigkisses@yahoo.com if u need me

Posts: 9 | From: maine, usa | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived out of the UK for 12 years and didnt lose any rights.
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you live outside the UK for an extended period of time that is not considered to be on a temporary basis, you can lose some residency rights in the UK, not citizenship, but residency rights. This has apparently happened because many people have been granted British passports, due to having British heritage, from colonial times, etc., and they have then come the the UK and tried to claim medical treatment on the NHS, social security benefits, or UK resident university fees without ever having lived in the country.

What "temporary" means seems to be open to interpretation, but there are several factors that appear to influence this:
- The reason you are living outside the UK, i.e. whether its on a time limited contract for a particular organization, whether you keep on renewing it, or if you take other jobs overseas, marriage, etc.
- If you maintained ties in the UK, such as if you had family there, how often you visited and the length of time of each visit.
- If you have property in the UK, such as a house, maintained a bank account, etc.

If you leave the country for an extended period of time, you have to unregister with your local GP, and in that case when you return you can only receive emergency medical care (not treatment for long-standing problems that can wait until you return overseas) until you re-register with a GP.

If your time out of the country is not deemed to be temporary, you cannot go to return to the UK and attend university in there and pay UK resident's fees, unless you have been back in the country for 3 years (I think it is), and you can prove that you did not return for this purpose (not quite sure how you can prove that!).

And as for pensions, yes you can make up the payments voluntarily (each year and also a certain amount of backdated payments too) in order to receive a full pension, if you have paid a certain number of years contributions in the UK already. Egypt is one of the countries that you can be paid a pension to from the UK, but it will be paid at a fixed rate, according to the rate of exchange at the time of your first payment. If you don't make the voluntary payments, you can still receive a partial UK pension in Egypt based on your previous contributions.

There maybe other areas that are affected, but these are one's I have come across.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trababe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can anyone help me is it true that there is a 3 month waitin period to marry in egypt after gettin my divorce here in the uk
Posts: 477 | From: lancashire england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by trababe:
can anyone help me is it true that there is a 3 month waitin period to marry in egypt after gettin my divorce here in the uk

Yes that is true. It comes from the Sharia law to allow time to be sure the woman is not pregnant from her former marriage.
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trababe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok thanks at least i know now cant wait till i get my divorce cos i will be going back to egypt with my kids to marry
Posts: 477 | From: lancashire england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com