EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Minstry of foreign affairs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Minstry of foreign affairs
hollyuk
Member # 13619

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hollyuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what documents should i take with my before i leave?
do i need to legalise anything, my birthcertificate or passport or no impediment certificate?

i am getting different stories each time we speak to them.

any brits out there who have done a civil marriage get in touch please. let me know what documents you took with you before you left.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hollyuk
Member # 13619

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hollyuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please help it is urgent i'm leaving soon

any brits dealt with the MFA.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Dahlia
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Dahlia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this long time ago, but think things much the same as I just give the advice to friend in Egypt who did it 2 weeks ago, and all went smooth.

Passport must have 1 year in date tourist visa.
If married before you must get UK Foreign and Commonwealth office to legalise the divorce cert. - cost about £20
Affadavit must be done in British Embassy Cairo.
Need Foreign ministry stamp before you go to ministry of justice.
Must not be more than 25 years age difference between the 2 people !!!!!!
So many stories and myths told, but it is all clearly explained on UK embassy web site.
Advice - You need to plan exactly where you need to go - use a map, and you need to hire good taxi driver for day

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, take several passport-sized photos too - you'll need at least 5 or 6 for all the copies of your marriage certificate [Smile]
Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shahrzaad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you can get the photos done at the MFA building. It seems every govt. building had someone to take pictures. It was very fast and reasonable.
Posts: 156 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not be radical and look on the embassy website where they detail exactly what you need.

http://www.britishembassy.org.eg/

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hollyuk
Member # 13619

Rate Member
THE FOLLOWING NOTES ARE NOT COMPREHENSIVE AND ARE INTENDED ONLY AS A GUIDE. FURTHER ADVICE SHOULD BE SOUGHT FROM THE OFFICE OF THE NOTARY PUBLIC OR A LAWYER.

i need comprehensive experienced guides i know everything about the british side, it's the unorganised egyptian side causeing problems.

one time they tell me legalise birth cert another time legalise a statement of your religion, another time no need to legalise or have egyptian consulate stamp

only need to know what i need to do and take with me before i leave!

shahrzaad
Member # 13580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shahrzaad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took everything I had here in the states I had it certified by courts, authenticated by the state and then went to the closest embassy and had them stamp it as well. Take it all everything you can. Better too much than so far away and do not have it. Be prepared to have a huge 'run around'. You can only organize so far. It was suggested that we even slip those who did a good job for us a little reward (read that as bribe). Good luck
Posts: 156 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trababe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hiya hun
i have just got married last month and i am from the uk
the only thing you need to take is your passport and if you have prevoisuly been divorced as i was you need to send this off to be legalised first this has now gone up to £27
after you make the declaration at the embassy it has to be stamped at the foreign affairs office but one thing to be warned is that you need to have a residence visa not tourist cos we made this mistake after sitting in the minisrty of justice over their lunch break to be told to go away and get the stamp
we was lucky cos the place was supposed to be closed but they let us have it done then we had to rush back to the minsitry of justice to get married just before they were closing

Posts: 477 | From: lancashire england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trababe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh and you dont need your birth cert or anyting to do with your religion
good luck hope this helps

Posts: 477 | From: lancashire england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002240;p=1#000007

this post and tons of other threads talk about what you need/don't need to bring with you. Just your passport will be enough - the religious declaration is something you get from the embassy there as part of the procedure, so don't worry about that in advance.

And I'd still recommend getting passport photos done in advance here in the UK and taking them with you, to take one little extra task out of the equation

Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
hiya again my husband jus informed me that the place you need to go to for the residenc visa is el tahreer square in cairo its a huge bulding
it may be easier to get the photos done in the uk but i found it lot cheaper to get them done there

cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I brought the (passport size) photos from here, they cost a lot (too much really) and then they were too small [Razz] We had to go and had new photos done nearby. So my advice would be have the photos done in Cairo - they cost 9 LE if I remember right since I didn't pay them.

But the photos were awful [Big Grin] I look like an alien (had a squeezed long looking head in them), that lady did something weird to my photos on computer in addition to the fact that she didn't know how to use a camera. Oh well, didn't care in the end because the photos were accepted.

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
i had mine done in ismailia and they were very nice i got 6 small ones and a bigger one which my mother in law kept and put on her wall bless her i think they were only about 8le
WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WithAllMyHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where do you go to get a resident visa???? Is their a place in Alex or only in Cairo?
Posts: 79 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mortimer
Member # 12475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mortimer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should imagine the same place you get a passport from whould give you the visa
Posts: 120 | From: uk | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
if i remember rightly its a place called mogamma or someting like that in cairo were i had to go to get the residence visa correct me if i am wrong guys
mortimer
Member # 12475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mortimer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats the place but in Alex I don't know, perhaps someone who lives there could help with this one
Posts: 120 | From: uk | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
my hubby told me the mogamma building its first floor at window 41 to get it done there if this helps
WithAllMyHeart
Member # 13563

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WithAllMyHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats the name of the place in Cairo???? Does official name for the place?
Posts: 79 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mortimer
Member # 12475

Rate Member
Mugamma is it's name, located opposite side of the road (sharia qasr al-aini) to the American University. 10 minutes walk from the Brit Embassy
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mortimer:
Mugamma is it's name, located opposite side of the road (sharia qasr al-aini) to the American University. 10 minutes walk from the Brit Embassy

Ohh don't remind me of that freak show nightmare, that place is a crazy house! I never had so many government employees salavating over me than in this building...and don't get me started on the non existant lines to get your documents, I never had to push so many men out of the way in my entire life.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mortimer
Member # 12475

Rate Member
I had no hassle, just walked in got the visa and back out in 10 minutes. Apparently this is a record but we did turn up at 8.30 am and there was only one person in front of us.
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ohh don't remind me of that freak show nightmare, that place is a crazy house! I never had so many government employees salavating over me than in this building...and don't get me started on the non existant lines to get your documents, I never had to push so many men out of the way in my entire life.
Ditto!

It's amazing, when I got my pic took it was the opposite. But go to get your paperwork done.....OMG. [Mad]

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
mine only took about 15 mins to get it although the guy wasnt happy cos they was suppose to be closed but my hubby to be persuaded him to let us get the stamp but one thing if you need the toilet there my suggestion is to hold it lol [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com