EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Registering marriage in Egypt and applying for citizenship for my wife

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Registering marriage in Egypt and applying for citizenship for my wife
shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shaxly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all i would like to thank everybody here as this website was great help for me and my wife to be together thro the info we got from all of you:) now to cut the story short i'm an Egyptian man who got married to my amazing and beautiful English wife and we are living in London now, i was gonna register our marriage at the Egyptian embassy in London so that eventually she gets citizenship in a couple of years but found the process a bit long as the documents has to be sent to Egypt and it would take months, i discovered that after i legalized the marriage cert at the fco office.we are flying to Egypt for xmas and heard that it would be easier to do it there and i was wondering if anyone knows how the process works there as where to do it and if we need to get any documents from here or from the British embassy in Cairo. once again thank very much.
Posts: 99 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend did it, in egypt- she wished she hadnt - an Egyptian passport has caused her nothing but problems! every time she flies back to uk - taken to a "special room" in airport for security checks, check points when she travelling in Egypt, often a nightmare, police have right to take and question her, or enter her house under emergency law just as any Egyptian.

For the process I remember it took several hours-over a few days- of interviews in various police and security places- while they checked out how come someone would actually want to do this!
Several dinners with various officers and lots of stamping papers.

Maybe others have had different experience, but hers wasnt pleasant. Her passport runs out soon, and she will give up her citizenship, safely, whilst in UK, so she can travel without hassle.

Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shaxly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for ur reply Tutandmoane im really sorry for your friend but i wasn't asking about other people tragic experiences, all im after is some advice about where to go i.e ministry of justice or court etc. and what kind of documents they might ask for just in case they might need something that i might need to bring from London.
Posts: 99 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't she have double citizenships?

I agree - a british passport is much better than an Egyptian one...Can't she just keep her Brtiish passport and get a residence permit in Egypt?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
Anthropos you are missing the point here, i'm not asking which is better and no one mentioned anything about keeping her british passport or losing it!!!
yes she can have dual nationality and thats what she wants is to hold her husbands nationality along with her British one IF you dont mind, the other thing is that how can you get residency in place you dont live in????

please does anyone here have a proper answer(not opinions) to my question?

thx

Classy54
Member # 13821

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Classy54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me how to write an invitation letter for my Egyptian fiancee?..I am an American..He will try and come next year on tourist visa but he thinks he needs this letter for the Egyptian embassy...Thank you for helping me in advance...
Posts: 2 | From: Kentucky USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
Hello Classy54 here is an example of what you can say.
dear sir\madame

i'm writing to you in support of my fiancee (his name as on passport) visa application, my name is xxxxxx and i'm American passport holder number xxxxxxx, i would like to confirm that i'm willing to provide accommodation and finances for my fiancee during his stay here.
please if you have any queries dont hesitate to contct me.

NAME
TITLE
EMAIL
PHONE NUMBER
SIGNATURE

hope this will hep and good luck

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do invitations for visas for tourist still work for the states? I can't imagine they do unless the man can show VERY WELL that he has cause to return. Most times he does not. [Confused]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somewhere in the sands
Member # 13869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somewhere in the sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shaxly:
Thank you for ur reply Tutandmoane im really sorry for your friend but i wasn't asking about other people tragic experiences,

This reply was so funny. It had me and my wife laughing so hard..Thanks!
Posts: 2342 | From: Its not where I'm from but where Im going | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go Shaxly

Requirements
To acquire the Egyptian Nationality
For wife of an Egyptian Citizen

The Egyptian law grants the wife of Egyptian citizen the right to acquire the Egyptian nationality with keeping her original nationality, that is after her applying and the approval of her husband.
The foreign husband of Egyptian wife does not have the same right.
The applicant has to complete the following form and hand it into the Ministry of Interior Cairo along with
Original and a copy of Egyptian birth certificate of husband.
Original and a copy of husband’s father birth certificate or one of his uncles or aunts.
Original & Copy of Egyptian Marriage Certificate.
A copy of Husband's Egyptian Passport.
A copy of Wife's Passport.
Written statement by husband requesting to grant his wife the Egyptian nationality, and that the couples have normal marital relations, signed before Consulate Official
Four recent photographs of wife.

The process to acquire the Egyptian nationality takes about 2 years form-applying date, within this period the husband has to submit each 6 months a written declaration of their marriage. After that the Egyptian ministry of interior affairs approves to grant the wife the Egyptian nationality.

[Wink]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will try to post the form on the cooking section for you.
Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Somewhere in the sands:
quote:
Thank you for ur reply Tutandmoane im really sorry for your friend but i wasn't asking about other people tragic experiences,

This reply was so funny. It had me and my wife laughing so hard..Thanks!
Same here. (Except for the wife bit.)

And Shaxly's posts are written by the English wife, anyway. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with that- but it was just a thought.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
TOOT Suite:) you are an absolute star, thank you very much for your reply its really helpful. i also found out that i have to legalize our English marriage cert at the Egyptian embassy in London before i go to cairo. the thing is you mention that they need Original & Copy of Egyptian Marriage Certificate which i dont have!! do have any idea how and where i can get this in Egypt??
thank you very much one more time.
p.s: i got the form you posted.

shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
MK the Most Interlectual don't know where you got that FART of a thought from?!! (thinking that my wife writes my posts)
you just need to grasp that some people who come from developing countries sometimes had better education than the one you got.
cheers!!

anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shaxly you are really sensitive.

How come?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shaxly - sorry you dont like to hear "tragic stories" - I genuinly thought it might be helpful to know the sort of thing that can happen. But I learned a lesson. Being Egyptian, you would already know the indignities one can be sujected to. Seeing as you are able to speak arabic, why dont you just call the Egytpian embassy in London and ask them? That way you should get all the factual advice you need.

And I agree with your "people from developing countries" sometimes have a better education than assumed. My husband, too, speaks and writes excellant English, but he doesnt use words like FART.....he would probably say "that ridiculous, un educated assumption.

Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
Tutandmoane i didn't mean to hurt your feelings - I genuinely thought that it might be helpful to ask for answers to my questions here on ES as i did before when me and my wife were looking for answers regarding fiancee visa and we found it on this website, being Egyptian i already know the indignities one can be subjected to if they were 'criminals' but i'm not one and neither is my wife, all we are after is applying for her citizenship.
from my experience contacting embassies whether the British in Cairo or the Egyptian in London for info or documentation needed for certain services is never 100%, they seem to forget purposely to tell you all you need to know.
one last thing is that im not your husband so please don't expect me to have the same choice of words as him.

Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
It was a joke, just a joke, as you seem so serious [Smile]

I hope you have had as good a time living here as we have

Good luck with your paperwork

shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
sorry for being too serious but it really winds me up when i ask a simple question and people turn into a debate about which country's passport is better etc. and they don't know what they are on about!!

thank you very much I've had a very good time since i arrived here and hope that continue having a good time living here.
just to say i contacted the Egyptian embassy for info as you said but only because the Egyptian consular turned out to be a close friend of my uncle and now i can ensure that i will get the right info.
[Smile]

Member # 14248

quote:
TOOT Suite:) you are an absolute star, thank you very much for your reply its really helpful. i also found out that i have to legalize our English marriage cert at the Egyptian embassy in London before i go to cairo. the thing is you mention that they need Original & Copy of Egyptian Marriage Certificate which i dont have!! do have any idea how and where i can get this in Egypt??
thank you very much one more time.
p.s: i got the form you posted.

no problem mate [Wink]

Okay if you married in Uk go here and order a copy online

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

once you have this to to the Egyptian consulate

Egyptian Consulate 2 Lowndes Street, London SW1X 9ET Tel: 020 7235 9777 or 020 7235 9719 Fax: 020 7235 5684 E-mail: info@egyptianconsulate.co.uk

they will attach a document to the back of your marriage certificate, then get a taxi over to the Foreign Office

The Legalisation Office
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Old Admiralty Building
The Mall
London SW1A 2LG

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029391440

they will then legalize it in about 2 hours and it costs about 25 sterling?

If you are running late try to get to the Foreign Office early next day as it gets crowded and they operate a ticket system so you can nip out for lunch and then return.

[Cool]

Member # 14248

I just re read you posts and am a bit confused.

Do you have 2 marriage certificates?

If you have the UK one ( married in the UK civil ceremony on British soil )and it has been legalized at the Egyptian Consulate then the FCO then this is all you need.

If you have an Egyptian marriage certificate ie you were married in Egyptian soil and it was registered at
The Ministry of Justice
Lazghouly Sq
Downtown Cairo
they will be able to issue you a copy of it.

If you have both then give Ministry of the Interior a copy of both.

To legalize at the FCO in UK you would have had to have taken it to the Egyptian Consulate to have them attach the document in arabic to say that your UK certificate was recognised by the consulate in Lowndes St, then you take it to the FCO.

Hope this helps a bit.. [Wink]

shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
TOOT Suite sorry for the confusion, all i got is a british marriage certificate from the Greenwich council register office and in order to get a an egyptian one in egypt i think i have to legalize it in the egyptian consulate before taking it to egypt to issue the egyptian one, i already legalized the cert at the fco and should be going to the consulate on monday. are these steps right? and do i do when i go to egypt and where do i go?

your help is really appreciated

Member # 14248

Hi Shaxly

okay if you were married in UK and you have the arabic authentication document glued to the back of the actual certificate, ( this is done at the Egyptian Consulate Lowndes St) then it was taken to the FCO and legalised this is all you need for the Ministry of the Interior in Cairo.

The Egyptian Consulate's glued document is verifying that they recognise the marriage certificate as authentic.
So if you bring your marriage certificate to Egypt and it has the Arabic doc on the back it is accepted as your marriage certificate in Egypt.

You just done it backwards.

In Egypt the only bit anyone is interested in is the arabic bit attached to the back of the marriage certificate.

Just bring your UK marriage certificate which has the arabic doc on the back and has the FCO stamp of legalization on it along with the form I sent you the other bits like photos etc and take it to the Ministry of the Interior Downtown and hand it in.

You dont get an Egyptian certificate. The one you have is the only one you need as long as it has the doc and the FCO stamp on it, it works just like an Egyptian one.

But we are talking about Egypt here so things and rules can change minute to minute so you might find that 'this week' you have to have a document of anti rabies vaccine authenticated in Kathmandu at least 500,000 sterling in a UK account and own a property and global enterprise in UK to ensure you wont OVERSTAY your wifes visa in Egypt [Razz]

Best of luck
[Cool]

shaxly
Member # 14523

Rate Member
TOOT Suite as i said b4 you are a star, just been to the Egyptian consulate yesterday and i got the Arabic bit and the stamp on the back of the FCO legalization paper, thing is they were trying to convince me to do everything (applying for my wife citizenship) thro the consulate and not in cairo as it will save me the hassle but i think it would be quicker doing it there and they were saying that i need to translate the marriage cert and legalize it at the minsitry of foreign affairs b4 i can apply for citizenship????
is this true? which is best here or there??
thanx very much

Member # 14248

No problem at all [Wink]

I'm sorry I dont know about that bit Shaxly but the Egyptian Consulate in london is a small office and not crowded like it will be in Cairo at the Ministry of Interior. Also getting anything done here is 'hell' so if I were you I would do it in London to save yourself all the hassle of the government fools who stamp stamps here and the crowds of folk who will not wait in line, so save yourself the hassle and let them do it for you at the consulate.
They might charge you an admin fee but it should not be extortionate? and you wont end up in a mental ward running around London getting 'stamps'!!!

What every new born Egyptian should recieve along with their birth certificate is an album of Egyptian government stamps with every stamp they are likely to need in their life right through till death and whenever you you have to do anything official you just select the appropriate one from your album that you have taken to the office and get the goverment official to lick it and stick it on your document!!! .

Yarghhhhhhhhh!!!!
[Razz]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com