EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » breastfeeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: breastfeeding
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it more common in Egypt to breastfeed or to bottlefeed?

I was talking to my husband about the *possibility* of attempting breastfeeding if and when we have a baby inshallah and he was shocked that it was even a question.

I know it goes through phases here in the US. When my mom was having her children it was very much frowned upon to breastfeed because it meant you couldn't afford the formula, but when I had my children it was totally en vogue with pediatricians stressing the healthfulness to the baby.

Just curious what the present trend is in Egypt?

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know in poor neighbourhood women feed each others children when the mother can't give breastfeeding. So, I guess it is like it was by us 50 yrs ago...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard of that but I never understood that. I mean if you're not the one who gave birth how can you produce milk to feed other people's kids?
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^You find a woman (family member, close neighbor) who has also recently given birth.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was pregnant, gave birth in Egypt and am still here 9 months after giving birth and I still do (gosh is that TMI?). I'm not sure if it is the NORM for the women to breastfeed for a very long length of time after birth but my goal was to do so until she was at least a year old. It is definitely easier, but these days it's just annoying, I'm ready to be finished already! [Frown]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumicrazieluv
Member # 12053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumicrazieluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I was pregnant, gave birth in Egypt and am still here 9 months after giving birth and I still do (gosh is that TMI?). I'm not sure if it is the NORM for the women to breastfeed for a very long length of time after birth but my goal was to do so until she was at least a year old. It is definitely easier, but these days it's just annoying, I'm ready to be finished already! [Frown]

I breastfed two, bottle fed one-the middle one. Its funny but she is the only one I was a stay home mom for about 3 years yet she is the one that never can seem to get enough attention. She also is not cuddly and huggy like my other 2 were. So I make the correlation in my mind she is this way because I didn't breast feed her.

My cousin's wife breastfed her children until they were almost 5 yrs old!! [Eek!] [Eek!] . Way to long, but she is from Africa and said it was normal in her culture.

I think that until they are a year is about right. Your not supposed to give cows milk to a baby until they are 12 months so I would say a year, year and a half is good.That's about the time I stopped.

Posts: 1121 | From: Too crazy to look at a freakin map to find out.. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should make that correlation to, but when I tell you that my most cuddliest and huggiest one had an oesophagus atresia and wasn't able to anything at all? [Smile] So, think it's a co-incedence.

I think breastfeeding normally is the best you can give to a child, but it takes a lot of effort from the mother. Having a job, I think it is often difficult...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liar_Lanie
Member # 14540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liar_Lanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Islamically the term for breast feeding is 2 years.

My freak of a cousin, the know it all hippy who is the reincarnation of mother earth herself breastfed her child until she was 18 months.

Lets put it this way its just plain creepy to breastfeed a walking child, more so if the mom thinks she is Gaia.

--------------------
Offend one offend all during the season.

Posts: 1455 | From: debtville | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Why should that be creepy? It happens a lot. When a child is growing, a need for a different kind of food arises. At the same time they can need breastfeeding as a sort of comfort-food, to feel themselves safe and secure. It isn't only because of the food, but also about the intimacy, the feeling that it brings. I think it's most special, and I know that women who gave breastfeeding to, for instance, a neigbourchild, always will keep a special connection to that kid, and the kid has the same to her...

--------------------

doodlebug
Member # 11649

I think a year is a good cut off point. I saw a video on youtube (i'm too lazy to look it up right now) about a mom who still breastfeeds here 8 yr old girl. They had the two daughters sitting at a kitchen table drawing pictures of their mother's breasts. THAT I think is creepy. Anything under 2 years of age is actually recommended by the Amer Soc of Pediatricians.
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only known one mother in egypt that bottle fed, not sure of her reason. I think the norm is breast feeding. I bottle fed my first 2 but of course i live here in states. I breastfed my youngest child until she decided herself that she was finished with it at 11 months. I would have continued until she was around 2 if she had preferred.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These Qur'anic verses might be worth considering in this discussion:

Mothers may breastfeed their children two complete years for whoever wishes to complete the nursing [period]. Upon the father is the mothers' provision and their clothing according to what is acceptable. No person is charged with more than his capacity. No mother should be harmed through her child, and no father through his child. And upon the [father's] heir is [a duty] like that [of the father]. And if they both desire weaning through mutual consent from both of them and consultation, there is no blame upon either of them. And if you wish to have your children nursed by a substitute, there is no blame upon you as long as you give payment according to what is acceptable. And fear Allāh and know that Allāh is Seeing of what you do. ((Surah Baqarah, 2:233)

And We have enjoined upon man, to his parents, good treatment. His mother carried him with hardship and gave birth to him with hardship, and his gestation and weaning [period] is thirty months. (Surah Al-Ahkaf, 46:15)

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Why should that be creepy? It happens a lot. When a child is growing, a need for a different kind of food arises. At the same time they can need breastfeeding as a sort of comfort-food, to feel themselves safe and secure. It isn't only because of the food, but also about the intimacy, the feeling that it brings. I think it's most special, and I know that women who gave breastfeeding to, for instance, a neigbourchild, always will keep a special connection to that kid, and the kid has the same to her...

I know what you mean but I also think it's a bit creepy. Somehow when a child can walk over & take out the breast and say 'milk?' that's WEIRD, to me at least. I have no idea why but I do not want to experience that whatsoever. What do you do in public!?? [Eek!]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This featured on a documentary on British TV last year, some mothers breastfeeding their kids at older ages (approx 8-9 years of age I think) - even weirder was that the husband admitted he liked to take a drink too and the wife just giggled - ugh!

even weirder (if thats possible) is the fact they admitted this on national TV and their families and neighbours would know!

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com