EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Marriage contracts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marriage contracts
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend recently got married. Her fiance told her that if she converted there was a different marriage contract at the Ministry. He did not mention the contracts with extra provisions that are allowed here when giving her his advice. I think I read that there are two contracts. One drawn up at a lawyer that can lay out everything from who does the dishes to who keeps the baby in the event of a divorce and one which is pretty much set that would be signed at the Ministry. My friend seems happy enough but if there are ways to help protect yourself from some of the heartbreak we read about here, please share. I know that in Egypt some couples don't end up getting married because the families negotiate so hard for certain provisions, but foreign women might walk in and just sign the first contract they are offered, since they are apparently in Arabic this makes the situation even more daunting.
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizabethN
Member # 14096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizabethN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if married at the ministry and you live in Egypt I would get legal advice. If living in the United States you go by the laws of that state.
Example - I was married in Egypt but we will live here in California. California is a community property state 50/50. Any papers I signed in Egypt is only enforceable in Egypt.
You can do a pre-nuptual agreement. Have a attorney draw up the papers, make sure you list every asset you have. Bring them to Egypt with you and go to the embassy. Your man or women then signs at the embassy and they will noterize it. It is a binding legal document here in the United States.

Posts: 1369 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liar_Lanie
Member # 14540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liar_Lanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bettyN:
if married at the ministry and you live in Egypt I would get legal advice. If living in the United States you go by the laws of that state.
Example - I was married in Egypt but we will live here in California. California is a community property state 50/50. Any papers I signed in Egypt is only enforceable in Egypt.
You can do a pre-nuptual agreement. Have a attorney draw up the papers, make sure you list every asset you have. Bring them to Egypt with you and go to the embassy. Your man or women then signs at the embassy and they will noterize it. It is a binding legal document here in the United States.

If you get married in Egypt and the US government recognizes the marriage then unless you had a pre-nup in advance he's entitled to your US based property.

Hence, if you plan to file a spousal visa then your marriage will have to be recognized by the US government and he is entitled to half of your assets.

Posts: 1455 | From: debtville | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iowa is a no fault state
anything that is mine is mine unless he wants to draw out the process and fight me!

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizabethN
Member # 14096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizabethN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the laws rule in the state you are divorcing doesn't matter where you were married.
Posts: 1369 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bettyN:
the laws rule in the state you are divorcing doesn't matter where you were married.

yes so make sure u divorce in a no fault state!!
unless u will win then find a state that will give u the house and all lol

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com