EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Observing Ramadan in the West

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Observing Ramadan in the West
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be hubby's first Ramadan here. In Egypt or any other Islamic country for that matter things tend to be adapted around it, eating early hours of the morning, business's working to a different time scale, etc. I am interested hearing how muslims in the West cope during this time, what are the practicalities and advice you can pass on.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The advice I can pass on is to make sure he can go home for a week or two during Ramadan. lol. Seriously it's not festive at all here, not sure about where you are. Sure we put up some lanterns and such but it's just not the same. He really missed hearing all the noise on the streets, seeing everyone happy at night having fun, etc. It's not the end of the world to have Ramadan here in the west but if he can go home, even for a little bit, I think it would be a good thing.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Doodle, it is the one time of year my hubby misses Egypt like mad. [Frown] He tries to go back each year sadly for him this year he can't (no money [Frown] ) so he will have to make do here.
Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qmar
Member # 12602

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Qmar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure it will be harder for him (its also alot longer in terms of hours) you will find that after the first 3 or 4 days you will have a routine and that is how it will stay. Don't stay up all night for sahoor but sleep early and get up an hour or so beforehand. If he can go to a mosque or islamic centre to break the fast a couple of times that might be a nice experience for him and tell him ..At least its not 40 degress! I personally never felt Ramadan that special in Egypt maybe because I am used to doing it here or I just enjoy my peace and quiet!
Posts: 102 | From: Somewhere only we know... | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe still working   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramadan Kareem everyone. Wish y all happiness and love in your lives. [Smile]
Posts: 1325 | From: For tooti http://www.csa.gov.uk/ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He would love to go back for it ofcourse but as he has only been in Scotland since April and his job is just seasonal until October it is not possible. Hopefully next year it will be.
Yes Qmar it was the practicalities that I was interested in. He plans to get up eat, then sleep a couple of hours before starting work. The hours will be a lot longer. So I was wondering how others coped. Unfortunately the nearest mosque is 20 miles away [Frown] As you say at least it's not 40 degrees [Big Grin]

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only ever done Ramadan in Egypt but I alwaysed matched my meal times and eating patterns to my husband's so he was not doing it alone. You soon adjust and get used to it and its very nice to feel a part of what he is doing.

For Eieed I always ask him what's the most special meal he would like as neither of really like the traditional foods for this.

Perhaps you could invite friends over for a few meals in the evening and explain to them what its all about so it doesn't feel so solitary for him.

I remember you saying you have one other Egyptian living in your area so maybe they can get together for some of the iftar's.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
As usual Penny good advice. Inviting friends would be a good idea. Yes there is another Egyptian in my town that he has met but he works in Holland alot so I don't know if he will be able to meet up with him. We will just take things as they come.
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See if you can get an Arabic channal on satelite, as most of the Arab film industry is Egyptian there will probably be a lot of Egyptian stuff on TV

Get an Egyptian cook book and try some recipes

Have dates in for breaking the fast

Try and get the call to Iftar on your computer

Ask at the mosque if there are any other families who would like to get together with you

Lots of British Muslims are doing Ramadan, even schools accomodate it so dont feel out of it

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com