EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Women’s groups call for restricting polygamy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women’s groups call for restricting polygamy
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote:

"The draft law also aims to restrict polygamy without criminalizing the practice by stipulating that the marriage of a man to more than one woman can only be permitted by a court that finds he is able to afford the additional financial burdens involved."

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/women%E2%80%99s-groups-call-restricting-polygamy

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Western culture is not a good example to be followed," Othman said. "It has many drawbacks, along with being incompatible with good morals and Islam.”

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Which is better? A second wife with the same rights as the first one? Or numerous mistresses?"

Same old, same old ... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing for you lasses that you aren't Egyptian women right?

How privileged you lass are by your birth right!

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of my rights were handed to me at birth, particularly the rights I have as a woman.
Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were not handed to you. You were born with them.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
No, many of the rights I enjoy today - employment, education, etc. - were incurred during my lifetime.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
Good thing for you lasses that you aren't Egyptian women right?

How privileged you lass are by your birth right!

Good thing you divorced yours before he shipped his real wife in eh? [Wink]

oh but wait, he would have to be divorced before he could ship her in, and he still has you doing his washing, and attending to other things, clever Ayman! [Big Grin]

Seen it all before, marry the foreigner, get green card, divorce foreigner, ship in Egy wife to new country. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stayingput:
None of my rights were handed to me at birth, particularly the rights I have as a woman.

quote:
Originally posted by stayingput:
No, many of the rights I enjoy today - employment, education, etc. - were incurred during my lifetime.

You went from none to many! You incurred employment and education [Confused]

You're free to look at rights in any way you like but anything you acquire one way or another can be taken away or lost. Inalienable rights can only be infringed upon.

Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
As I said, they weren't handed to me at birth, they were incurred during my lifetime:

Civil Rights Act (Women added in Amendment,1964)
Griswold v. Connecticut (contraception, 1965)
Executive Order 11246 (1965/1968)
Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972 (1972)
Title IX (Education Amendment, equal access to higher education and to professional schools, (1972)
Roe v. Wade (abortion, 1973)
Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 (1974)
Women's Educational Equality Act of 1975 (1975)
Pregnancy Discrimination Act (1975)

Rights are rights. They aren't obligations. I have the right to vote (that happened during my mother's lifetime), but I don't have to vote. Men may have the right to multiple wives (which is debate worth), but they don't have to avail themselves of that.

Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Again incurred!

I was wondering why you're so incoherent when I realized you're replying in the context of the thread, that is polygamy. I only read your comment with regard to rights and had no clue what it related to. Of course for as long as polygamy is tied into the discussion you will not even begin to think reasonably.

The examples you gave, civil rights, employment and education are inalienable rights. You did not "incur" them ( what a strange expression) but they were finally recognized as inalienable rights and laws were put in place to make that clear. You were born with them as everyone else but they were being infringed upon until intelligent people recognized that human beings, and animal for that matter, have certain inalienable rights that must be recognized and protected.

Again you're free to think of them any way you like but you would be wrong.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayisha,

When he isn't spending the evening with you, is he with another man or another woman.

Your man is slick and quick, my ex only took 4 years to import this gal to sponsor.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Two:
Again incurred!

in·cur (n-kûr)
tr.v. in·curred, in·cur·ring, in·curs
1. To acquire or come into (something usually undesirable); sustain: incurred substantial losses during the stock market crash.
2. To become liable or subject to as a result of one's actions; bring upon oneself: incur the anger of a friend.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Two:
[QB]I was wondering why you're so incoherent when I realized you're replying in the context of the thread, that is polygamy. I only read your comment with regard to rights and had no clue what it related to. Of course for as long as polygamy is tied into the discussion you will not even begin to think reasonably.

Read back and you'll see that it was implied that rights are somehow "birthrights." My point is, and has been, the rights I have today are far more broad than the rights I had at birth.

As for polygamy, that's not part of my world. The Egyptian Monster-In-Law thought it would be a good idea, however, under Islam, I have the right to my religion and my religion is one husband, one wife.

quote:
Originally posted by Two:
The examples you gave, civil rights, employment and education are inalienable rights. You did not "incur" them ( what a strange expression) but they were finally recognized as inalienable rights and laws were put in place to make that clear. You were born with them as everyone else but they were being infringed upon until intelligent people recognized that human beings, and animal for that matter, have certain inalienable rights that must be recognized and protected.

I do not agree. The only birth right given to me was the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happines" as it was defined by men, for men.

quote:
Originally posted by Two:Again you're free to think of them any way you like but you would be wrong.
Nope. Don't think so.
Merry Christmas
Member # 17993

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merry Christmas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we can have polyandry to make it fair [Smile]
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com