EgyptSearch Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Doing Business in Egypt » Mc Donald's in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mc Donald's in Egypt
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knock Knock, It's Your Big Mac

From Săo Paulo to Shanghai, McDonald's is boosting growth with speedy delivery

by Michael Arndt

Mickey D delivers? You bet. While Americans suffering from a Big Mac attack typically pull up to the drive-through window, in the developing world the fast-food chain increasingly does the driving. In traffic-choked cities from Manila to Montevideo, McDonald's deploys fleets of motor scooters to get hot food to customers fast. "I'm too lazy to go out and stand in line," confesses Nada Abou el Soud, a Cairo high school student. She says she calls in an order for a Mc- Chicken combo meal at least once a week, dropping about $4.25 each time, including a 70 cents delivery fee.

All told, McDonald's delivers in some 25 cities, with a half-dozen more on deck. The company just launched deliveries in Taipei, with 1,000 drivers, is expanding Shanghai to citywide service this summer, and is testing the concept in Beirut and Riyadh. In Egypt, where the setup was pioneered in 1995, deliveries now account for 27% of all McDonald's revenue and up to 80% at some restaurants. Globally, delivery sales are expected to total more than $110 million in 2007, up from $90 million last year, the company says. While that's spare change for the $21.6 billion giant, the business is growing by 20% to 30% annually, more than triple the chain's overall rate.

NO CLEANUP
It's profitable, too. Delivery margins usually top the 13% to 14% that McDonald's outlets generally yield. That's because the courier fee, which runs from 50 cents to $1, covers the cost of handling phoned-in orders and the fleets of drivers and motorbikes. "And we don't even have to clean up a table," notes Timothy J. Fenton, president of McDonald's Corp. (MCD) operations outside the Americas and Europe. "It's incremental profit for us."

The business is emblematic of the change in thinking at the Oak Brook (Ill.) company. From McDonald's start in 1955, headquarters dictated pretty much every detail of running a franchise. But as revenue growth stalled several years ago, management began encouraging experimentation. So while the basic menu and layout of a McDonald's is still pretty much the same everywhere, restaurants in China now have latitude to substitute corn for fries in Happy Meals, some in the U.S. blend fruit smoothies, and those in Australia and France have coffee lounges that feel like a Starbucks (SBUX). "Management is looking beyond Oak Brook for inspiration," says UBS Securities (UBS) analyst David S. Palmer. "They're becoming better at sharing the best ideas around the globe."

McDonald's opened its first location in Egypt in 1994. Its local licensee quickly suggested adding delivery after noticing that other fast-food chains, and even five-star hotels, offered the service. The first trial took place six months later at two outlets. One key was setting up a call center with a single toll-free phone number for metropolitan Cairo. The other was hiring hundreds of scooter drivers to snake their way through the city's thick traffic to make their drop-offs before the McNuggets get cold. Today, almost all of McDonald's 35 restaurants in and around Cairo deliver, while only a couple have drive-through windows. McDonald's has mimicked this setup as it has expanded the service to other countries.

One place, though, that the Golden Arches won't come knocking is the U.S. The delivery model works well in congested cities where there's no affordable space for drive-through windows, but plenty of cheap labor to ferry the food to customers. Except in Manhattan, where a handful of McDonald's deliver phoned-in orders to nearby high-rises, land isn't an issue in U.S. cities and people find it easier to pick up meals themselves. But with ever more sales coming from abroad, Ronald McDonald will be plenty busy making the rounds for some time.

With Caroline Ghobrial in Cairo

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jul2007/gb20070712_387164.htm?chan=globalbiz_europe+index+page_top+stories

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tinakamal
Member # 13812

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tinakamal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
geez i wish our mds had delivery lol
then we would all get lazier

--------------------
 -

Posts: 179 | From: iowa usa | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McDonald's in New York delivers, which is odd because there is one on every other block, and everyone walks.
Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little surfer girl
Member # 12820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little surfer girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guy swears that the food at Mickey D's in Egypt tastes different. Is that true?
Posts: 178 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it does.
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bread is different. They try to keep it the same, but because they are working with different bakery`s there are variations...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The meat and pickles are different, too. Much less oily than in the US. Everyone who has lived in both the US and Egypt knows that the meat tastes better in Egypt because they don't grow their livestock and vegetables over night [Razz]
I have one Egyptian American friend who refuses to eat Mediterranean food in the States because frankly what passes for "good" Mediterranean food in the States would get thrown in the garbage in Egypt and the rest of the region.

Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we are discussing McDonalds I would like to bring up the Big Mac Index. The disparity in prices from country to country is huge.

Big Mac in Egypt costs: $1.60

The most expensive Big Mac is in: Iceland and costs a staggering $7.44

The least expensive Big Mac is in: China and costs $ 1.41

What’s interesting is China’s Big Mac is cheaper than Egypt yet McDonald’s employees in China are paid more than Egyptians. The obvious reason is a labor law that stipulates Chinese working for foreign companies (e.g. McDonalds) can not be paid less than $1 per hour (Minimum Wage).

So.... lousy pay translates to lousy Big Mac

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never eat Big Mac ... so I don't know the prices.

I loveeeeeee the Cheeseburger [Wink] and it costs 1 Euro (so about 7 egy pounds) ; (Euro-deals)

My egyptian friends say I should try "Mac Arabi Kofta" when I am back there, but I have no idea what it is ... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DID SOMEONE SAY big mac [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet*Loves*Ptah
Member # 13948

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bastet*Loves*Ptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

--------------------
MEOW

Posts: 412 | From: protectress of Lower Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you are in Cairo at the moment Mc D is doing a five for five.
You can get 5 items at 5le each

think it has

chicken nuggets
chicken fillet
double cheesburger
fries
apple pie

something like that

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlebev
Member # 13788

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlebev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mc ds in egypt tastes much better than any other i have had before
Posts: 197 | From: hertford england | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lesley
Member # 14033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lesley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McDonalds in Sharm seems far more developed than our one here in the uk. Kids meals you could have 4 / 6 nuggets - better for hungrier kids. Adults nugget meal also seems to come with 9 nuggets as standard, everything seemed bigger, my husbands burger (no idea what it was) had 4 burgers inside it! The food tasted great, was hot, delivered too the table and no sooner had we finished the debris was cleared away (before we had a chance to do it ourselves) and the table was all wiped down. The toys that accompany the kids meals are better too. It's also service with a smile.
Posts: 6 | From: Llanelli | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McDonalds QUALITY EGYPT advertising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNzksWTpqOc

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReenaModa831
Member # 14026

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ReenaModa831     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you seen "super size me"....Documentary this turned me off to McD's for life.....I don't know about Egypt, but whenever I've eaten their food.....I'm sick within 20 mins......blah! Here is the link to the movie....if your bored [Smile]
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/9/4670

Posts: 29 | From: San DIego, Ca USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ReenaModa831:
Have any of you seen "super size me"....Documentary this turned me off to McD's for life.....I don't know about Egypt, but whenever I've eaten their food.....I'm sick within 20 mins......blah! Here is the link to the movie....if your bored [Smile]
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/9/4670

'Fast Food Nation' made me swear off Mickey D's and all other junk food chains.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
McDonalds QUALITY EGYPT advertising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNzksWTpqOc

McDonald’s Egypt has an issue with bread freshness. They are somehow reluctant to throw away leftover buns for the day, frugality is sometimes counterproductive and besides they could offer such bread to the poor.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com