EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Origin of the ankh ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Origin of the ankh ??
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand form my reserch the ankh was symbolic of both the union of female and male genetalia. The loop of the ankh represents a female vagina,while the cross part of the ankh represents the penis.

When these two elements were combined they formed the symbol which meant life. Often times you would see the ankh symbol in tombs where auset would hold the ankh up to the nose of the per aa a,d symbolize the breath of life.

If anybody has any other idea of where the ankh originated please fill me in and let me know.

This is what i gathered form my reserch.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kem-Au
Member # 1820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kem-Au     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. What sources do you have for more info?
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kemet
Member # 1675

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kemet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
From what I understand form my reserch the ankh was symbolic of both the union of female and male genetalia. The loop of the ankh represents a female vagina,while the cross part of the ankh represents the penis.

When these two elements were combined they formed the symbol which meant life. Often times you would see the ankh symbol in tombs where auset would hold the ankh up to the nose of the per aa a,d symbolize the breath of life.

If anybody has any other idea of where the ankh originated please fill me in and let me know.

This is what i gathered form my reserch.

Kemet Writes: No disrespect Ausar, but I believe the Ankh represents the union of masculine and feminine energy symbolized by the male and female organs. The organs themselves are merly the outward representation of a deeper concept.

Posts: 391 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The Ankh
The ankh is a powerful and well-known symbol of life, first created by ancient Egyptians. You can find thousands of representations of ankh in the writing, pictures, and artifacts from archaeological records in libraries and museums, as well as in its use as a popular symbol today. The ankh's inclusion in the mural represents the many contributions that Egyptians have made to Western culture. It also embodies the ongoing life of the Hilltop's cultures as they progress through generations of change and growth.
This ancient emblem has accumulated many layers of symbolism over the centuries. In hieroglyphics, the picture script of the ancient Egyptian priesthood, the ankh symbolizes life, both the verb "to live" and the power to give life. Hieroglyphics often portray Egyptian gods carrying an ankh as a symbol of their immortality and their life giving power. Egyptian mythology says that the gods could bring the dead back to life by holding an ankh to a person's nose. This symbol was also used in hieroglyphics to distinguish kings and gods from ordinary mortals, appearing on a scepter carried in the right hand.
The physical form of the ankh illustrates some of its meanings. The ankh's shape resembles a key; the ankh is considered the key to eternal life after death. The symbol's form also represents the joining of masculine and feminine forces to create life. The loop represents the feminine aspects, while the elongated staff represents the masculine. The crossbars represent the ancestors and the unborn; completing the circle of life. http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/wallpainting/text.htm

I agree with you kemet that the ankh reporesents the union of both the female and male,which the loop of the ankh is symbolic of a women's womb thus it mean life. I have heard some people sugest that it was a sandal strap,but I don;t buy this explanation.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lazar
Member # 10869

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lazar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NKWA [ANKH]

This Ancient Egyptian cross is the earliest and most ancient sacred symbols of religion. Egyptologists that believe they have successfully deciphered Ancient Egyptian Medu Netjer/NeterNeder {i.e. Greek word is hieroglyphics) say it is called Ankh, meaning LIFE. The meaning is correct, however, that is not what the Ancient Egyptians called it. The original Ancient Egyptian word that Egyptologists tried to decipher was NKWA. The language from which this word originiated is Akan and it actually means LIFE. This symbol was the Ancient Egyptian sacred religious symbol that reinforced the cross of which Jesus was crucified, as a sacred Christian symbol. How did this happen? The early Christian Church of Ancient Egypt adopted the NKWA symbol as the symbol of their Church and called it the Crux Ansata. From here, it was taken to Rome, and there it became a Christian symbol with only a slight variation in design. The symbol of NKWA below was excavated from the tomb of the Akan king Tutu Ankoma, the boy king of Ancient Egypt whose name Europeans have corrupted to Tutankhamun. He ruled from 1336-1327 B.C.

[Img]http://www.enterprisemission.com/images/ankh.jpg{/Img]

Posts: 80 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lazar
Member # 10869

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lazar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Africans Who Wrote The Bible" by Dr. Nana Banchie (Alex) Darkwah

--------------------
©Very Fine/1952 -- 2006

Posts: 80 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lazar
Member # 10869

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lazar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I fixed what I did wrong.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about African symbolism is that such a symbol may mean all of these things.

As Lazar says, the it could mean a combination of the what Hindus call the linga (phallus) and the yoni (vulva), and/or something else that altogether means life.

Right now I'm trying to find info as to whether the ankh was present outside of Egypt among other African peoples, particularly Afrasian speakers.

Posts: 26356 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com