EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Hemiunu -- related to Khufu?...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hemiunu -- related to Khufu?...
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the more popular AE images is that of hemiunu, "architect of the great pyramid". Recently, I came across a site which says he was a "kinsman" of khufu. That would make him related to menkaura...

I wonder what you all know of this... Architect of the great pyramid? Related to khufu (& therefore menkaura)? How so?

hemiunu

menkaura

[This message has been edited by sunstorm2004 (edited 06 January 2005).]

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hemiunu's face was actually reconstructed. Thieves when they found his statue hacked out the eyes,and his face was badly damaged.

See the following:

Statue of Hemon,Khufu's master builder. They eyes have been hacked out by robbers, and restored
Hildesheim Museum

page 47

Chronicles of the Pharaohs

Peter Clayton

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do we know about Hemiunu. For one thing he was the nephew of Kuhfu and served him as visier. He was involved with the burial of the King mother as well. His reconstructed statue is not only a classic piece of art but is obviously designed to show the visier as he actually looked.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
His reconstructed statue is not only a classic piece of art but is obviously designed to show the visier as he actually looked.
lol.

Obviously there is no way to know or prove the accuracy of the reproduction.

Obviously an ipso facto assertion of the 'accuracy' of this reproduction, without detailed knowledge of the original constitutes 'hot air'.

Obviously your fantastical fraudulent faith in a European Kemet is foiled yet again..... eh professor?

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 07 January 2005).]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rasol, You need to enroll in a near by Art History class. They go into the various purposes for different types of art. If there is none near by perhaps you can find one on line. If I can help you find one be sure and let me know.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstorm2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ausar wrote:
Hemiunu's face was actually reconstructed. Thieves when they found his statue hacked out the eyes,and his face was badly damaged.

... Yep, on second look, I can sorta see the reconstruction in the photo above. The zoom feature at http://www.artchive.com/artchive/E/egyptian/egyptian_4_hemiunu.jpg.html seems to show that the face has been replaced from about the hairline to the tip of the nose.

Personally, I think reconstruction of this sort is dishonest and completely defeats the purpose of archaeology.

quote:
Horemheb wrote:
His reconstructed statue is not only a classic piece of art but is obviously designed to show the visier as he actually looked.

Like the statue of Menkaura, Hemiunu's statue was likely designed to show him as he looked. Unfortunately that purpose was *defeated* when the statue was damaged -- & obviously no modern reconstruction can show Hemiunu as he actually looked, unless there's some other image to go by.

However we think he may have looked, we can't say that *that* is how he looked...

---

I saw this statue in person when it came to NY's Metro Museum of Art a few years back. It's interesting that in the lecture the guide gave, she didn't mention at all any reconstruction -- just pointed out that this was the architect of the Great Pyramid...

Posts: 237 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Professor Horemheb, while there are college courses in art history, and they do discuss fraud, forgery and misrepresentation (such as the British museum's fake Tetisheri statue), it might be more appropriate for you to start here:

You're welcome.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anacalypsis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
What do we know about Hemiunu. For one thing he was the nephew of Kuhfu and served him as visier. He was involved with the burial of the King mother as well. His reconstructed statue is not only a classic piece of art but is obviously designed to show the visier as he actually looked.

I am starting to seriously doubt your claims of being a member of academia after uttering such a statement.

Please better explain yourself, so that we are clear on what you’re saying (because you can't intelligible say that this is suppose to be an actually depiction of what he really looked like).

Posts: 142 | From: University Height, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com