EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » what were the MOORS??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what were the MOORS??
brazil
Member # 8204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brazil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 31 | From: norfolk va | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMR1
Member # 7651

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMR1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brazil:

This opicture are not of Moors, but West African Muslims who had close business ties with the Moors.

Posts: 1090 | From: Merowe-Nubia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Moor was a generic description for Muslims from North Africa who conquered the Southern Iberian Peninsular and many were Berbers. There were also groups from Morocco and Mali with the various dynasties from the Almohad(es), Almoravid(es), Nurid, Fatimid, etc.
There was even a group called Mozarabes, who may be seen as going native as they had habits of Muslims, spoke Arabic, dressed in North African garb, etc.

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The original meaning of the term Moor was from a Greek term called Mauros[dark skinned/black] that reffered to indigenous groups in Northern Africa. In later times it came to refer to Arabs and Bererbs who conquered the Iberian peninsula. Around this time it lost its original meaning which was color oriented and became a generic term for a Muslims in Spain wheather Arab,berber,or etc.

Most of the elite in Al-andulas Spain were yemani and Syrian Arabs,but the main bulk of the soliders were primary Berbers[imazigh] and Sahelian Africans from areas like Senegal.

The Almoravids were from southern Morocco. Almohads were from the Anti-Atlas mountains.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brazil
Member # 8204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brazil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
according to the moors..they brought civilization to spain...the europeans didnt take baths or anything ..it kind of still passes on today because white ppl are too keen on hygene
Posts: 31 | From: norfolk va | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for relaxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brazil:
it kind of still passes on today because white ppl are too keen on hygene

What do you mean?
Relaxx

Posts: 577 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TooInvolved
Member # 8273

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TooInvolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a Moor:

The portrait is called the Moorish Chief, painted in 1878 by Eduard Charlemont. The chief is standing at the AlHambra in Spain, I believe. Is he black? Were the Moors black? You decide.

Posts: 74 | From: Phila., PA , USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some Moors were black of skin but not necessarily the American description of black. Moors were definately African (their continent of birth) while others were of lighter hue (still African).

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zulu ra zuri
Member # 7122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zulu ra zuri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yazid,
I don't quite understand what you mean with this quote:
[B]Some Moors were black of skin but not necessarily the American description of black.
Can you please explain?

Posts: 104 | From: santa barbara, california usa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TooInvolved
Member # 8273

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TooInvolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think the Am. def. of Black is?
Posts: 74 | From: Phila., PA , USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMR1
Member # 7651

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMR1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TooInvolved:
What do you think the Am. def. of Black is?

Outside Africa, INCLUDING AMERICA, (the white world) you are black if you even have 10% black in you.

In Africa and the Arab world, you are not black if you are 10% white.

Posts: 1090 | From: Merowe-Nubia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
my main point is that the Moors were African. We know North African are of different hues while being the as they are.
If a black African speaks a foreign language, he is considered a little better than a black American based on the peculiarism of ethos, culture and politics of American society.

Right now in America, guess who the new negroes are! Arabs and Muslims so they enter the enthos of 'sand negroes'! a politicization of digust and hate towards arabs and muslims. I am being polite in use of language here but in Dearborn, Michigan that is where I most heard the term 'sand n*s'. There are many people in America who I would not consider as black but that is niehter here nor there! Respect to my brothers in their country!

One has to live in America to really experience but it is a reality. orking about it does not help.

Colour is unimportant so I am trying to not give it too much imprtiance despite using it because people attention, through pavlovian conditioning' have been trained like dogs to salivate over it. Sad but true!.

allahu akbar

zulu ra zuri
Member # 7122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zulu ra zuri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the information yazid. now, i understand your point. amr, if what you say is true, then i and my family are not black. our grandmother is white on my father's side and my great grandfather is native american on my mother's side. however, we have all the characteristics of africans from somalia, ethiopia, upper egypt to nigerians and even saudi arabians. as a matter of fact, i have an uncle who looks just like osama with the beard and all. the only difference is that my uncle is 3 inches shorter.

quote:
Originally posted by yazid904:
my main point is that the Moors were African. We know North African are of different hues while being the as they are.
If a black African speaks a foreign language, he is considered a little better than a black American based on the peculiarism of ethos, culture and politics of American society.

Right now in America, guess who the new negroes are! Arabs and Muslims so they enter the enthos of 'sand negroes'! a politicization of digust and hate towards arabs and muslims. I am being polite in use of language here but in Dearborn, Michigan that is where I most heard the term 'sand n*s'. There are many people in America who I would not consider as black but that is niehter here nor there! Respect to my brothers in their country!

One has to live in America to really experience but it is a reality. orking about it does not help.

Colour is unimportant so I am trying to not give it too much imprtiance despite using it because people attention, through pavlovian conditioning' have been trained like dogs to salivate over it. Sad but true!.

allahu akbar

Posts: 104 | From: santa barbara, california usa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com