EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » HANNIBAL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HANNIBAL
GABOW
Member # 9652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GABOW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hear there is a movie about him coming. the question is. is denzel washington a good candidate racially? maybe he is too black  -
Posts: 2 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats crazy, I don't think he should accept that role. The Carthagians were descendent of phonecians, and they came from an area which is today around Syria and Libanon. So I don't think Hannibal looked the slightest as Denzel. He should definetly not take that part, it wouldn't look credible.
This is how hannibal most likely looked like
 -

Denzel should join the Nefertiti crew instead, he would fit great as General/Pharao Horemheb.

If he plays Hannibal it will look as rediculas as this white dude who played Djingis khan.

Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yonis,

We all imagine ourselves as openminded. I see nothing wrong with a white man playing Moses so it follows that a black man playing Hannibal is fair. I would personally prefer Vin Diesel playing Hanibal or even Cibrian since they fit the phenotype!

allahu akbar

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point to remember is that movie production revolves around money, $$$$$$$. They could care less about all this racial accuracy baloney one way or the other.
Yul Brenner and Charleston Heston were nop brainers for Moses and Ramses II. From a business standpoit a person would have to be a complete idiot to cast anyone else in those parts.
It just so happens that in that case brenner was a good Ramses II, that may have been a pretty close match even though they were not doing it for that reason.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bust of Hannibal that people often showcase was never actually comissioned by Hannibal himself. The bust was an idealized potrait of Hannibal. However, I do agree that Hanibal most likely was Phonecian royalthy that came from modern day Lebanon. Many of the residents of Carthage probably were ''black'' because the indigenous people known as the Afers were described as such in Greco-Roman writings.

Hollywood producers and directors hardly get movies right and tend to go for stars that will earn large box oficce grosses. Denzel Washingston would be a better choice for a serious movie about Hannibal as opposed to a sword and sandal type epic that would better qualify Vin Disel.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Gabow, Denzil is too 'black' only due to the funding/financing of the film and its audience. Diesel is much more of the type and build of the conqueror as opposed to the 'mild' physicality of Denzil.
Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruh man from 5th floor
Member # 9705

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruh man from 5th floor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
Thats crazy, I don't think he should accept that role. The Carthagians were descendent of phonecians, and they came from an area which is today around Syria and Libanon. So I don't think Hannibal looked the slightest as Denzel. He should definetly not take that part, it wouldn't look credible.
This is how hannibal most likely looked like
 -

Denzel should join the Nefertiti crew instead, he would fit great as General/Pharao Horemheb.

If he plays Hannibal it will look as rediculas as this white dude who played Djingis khan.

I agree, this is about the most sensible post in this thread.
Posts: 29 | From: Barbados | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Black Hannibal? Now he did have Nubian warriors. He himself is 'Rather IndoEuropean in origins though'

--------------------
Across the sea of time, there can only be one of you. Make you the best one you can be.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by osirion:
A Black Hannibal? Now he did have Nubian warriors. He himself is 'Rather IndoEuropean in origins though'

Hannibal may have had black warriors but how were they Nubian? As Ausar said, there were native blacks in the area of Tunisia where he lived.

And what the heck is this "Indo-European" origins?! Hannibal was of Carthegenian descent and the Carthegenians themselves were Phoenician colonists. In fact the '-bal' in the name Hannibal is derived from the Semitic god Baal. Besides, when you say Indo-European origins, one could take it to mean the actual origin of the Indo-European languages when even by the time of the Phoenicians Indo-European speakers were diverse peoples from Europe to India.

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com