EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Off Topic: Christians or Muslims and from what part of Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Off Topic: Christians or Muslims and from what part of Egypt?
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't tell if they are Xtians or Muslims. They look Egyptians (south of the country, but it could be any other places) to me

Why do you ask Ausar?

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burhan
Member # 11310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Burhan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moslems from south of Egypt
Posts: 107 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, they dont look like south of egypt at all. They look like they are from small towns in lower egypt. They are christians, and look no differant from muslims.
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikuptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually i think they can either be palestinians or Egyptians near the border with Palestine but they could be southern Egyptians because not all of them look to dark some of them are that color. Since i have to choose one between Muslim and Christian i am going to say they are Christians.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Posts: 526 | From: Aswan Egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, they are Coptic Christians from a village in Luxor. Hikuptah, what you might not know about Palestine is that many people from Upper Egypt under the Ottomans and Muhammed Ali were brought and settled in various villages in Palestine. Some Palestineans even have Western African origins. Afro-palestineans

I just posted these pictures to show people that not all Copts look European and some are as brown as many people in southern Egypt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikuptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually i agree with u Ausar about the Palestinians having a western African origin and not all coptics are white like greeks

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Posts: 526 | From: Aswan Egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tell u why i knew they were christians if u look above. They have pictures posted on the walls, paintings. Only christians in egypt post paintings of that sort on the wall. U could tell its a painting of thier Jesus.
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Ausar i have a friend who is african looking and he is from palestine he is christian as well. Thank u for posting that not all coptics are white looking. Ausar u are really on point with your information much respect.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hikuptah:
Ausar i have a friend who is african looking and he is from palestine he is christian as well.

You still haven't defined what "African looking" is.

--------------------
Truth - a liar penetrating device!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Ok Supercar what is a african what is a white person what is a Arab what is a Asian u tell me.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hikuptah:
Ok Supercar what is a african what is a white person what is a Arab what is a Asian u tell me.

African - what belongs to Africa.

Arab - socio-ethnic construct, originating in southwest Asia.

Asian - what belongs to Asia.

White person - Social construct for people with visibly little skin pigmentation or exhibiting very low levels of melanin; northern Eurasians generally fit as examples of this.

Now, how about your answer to my question. It is only fair, isn't it? [Smile]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you please adress this in another thread,supercar. I think this would make a better topic by itself than in this thread.
Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Could you please adress this in another thread,supercar. I think this would make a better topic by itself than in this thread.

Great. Create that thread.
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel its appropriate for you to create it because you brought it up. Had I brought up the topic I would have created the thread.
Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
I feel its appropriate for you to create it because you brought it up. Had I brought up the topic I would have created the thread.

Fair enough. Remember though, that I only raised the question, because it relates to somebody's reaction to the photo you posted, using terms like "African looking" or "White looking". What better way to make someone think about the validity or rational of their comments, than to address them right then and there?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-

Actually, they are Coptic Christians from a village in Luxor. Hikuptah, what you might not know about Palestine is that many people from Upper Egypt under the Ottomans and Muhammed Ali were brought and settled in various villages in Palestine. Some Palestineans even have Western African origins. Afro-palestineans

I just posted these pictures to show people that not all Copts look European and some are as brown as many people in southern Egypt.

The main point is that the populations of modern-day Egypt are diverse, even Upper Egypt.
Posts: 26353 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also could come from Morocco, Mauritania or West Sahara.

You can't really tell if they are Christians or Muslims.

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Originally posted by Arwa:

...since, apparently, neither has anything to do with "biology".
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet Egyptian people in the streets can see the difference in clothing, behaving and using language, if they not see the little tattoo mostly on the wrist.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is this couple on a market over here, I sometimes buy dresses for my girl. I can almost 'sense' that they are orthodox, probably Armenian something.

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
But when I would meet more African christians I would wonder if they were Ethiopian orthodox.

--------------------
Fools blame everyone else, starting philosophers blame themselves, wise people don't blame anyone (Epictetus)

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arwa:

The two pictures of Jesus in the background should be a dead giveaway.
Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
I can't see pictures of Jesus.

BTW, Muslims (mainly Shia) also have pictures of their saints.

First time I saw the picture, I thought they were Moroccans.

Rameses the Grea
Member # 11412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rameses the Grea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First time user, and I'd like to say how nice and active this forum is. I hope to be a contributor to this great site.

Well, I'm an Egyptian Copt who looks Greek. My father has blue eyes and the rest of my family looks white. Also same can be said about the church I attend. However, Northern Egyptians and Southern Egyptians do not look alike by any veracity. They may be Sudanese, but some claim to be Copts if Christian. They may be the short contingent of Christian Arabs.

Anyways, the race issue here is not a big deal to me. I see that people who are really interested in history like this issue.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
quote:
First time user, and I'd like to say how nice and active this forum is. I hope to be a contributor to this great site.

Well, I'm an Egyptian Copt who looks Greek. My father has blue eyes and the rest of my family looks white. Also same can be said about the church I attend. However, Northern Egyptians and Southern Egyptians do not look alike by any veracity. They may be Sudanese, but some claim to be Copts if Christian. They may be the short contingent of Christian Arabs.

Most Copts I seen don't have blue eyes or look white. Most I have seen have a light-brown complexion,but I did note that many do look Greek or Italian. The physical apperance of many modern Coptic Christians leads me to believe that many most likely have foreign Greek and Syrian origins.

The people in the picture are Sa3eedi Coptic Christians[neither Arab nor Sudanese] that live around Luxor,Egypt. You do have Coptic Christians living in the Sudan but most are much lighter than the average Sudanese population.

quote:
Anyways, the race issue here is not a big deal to me. I see that people who are really interested in history like this issue
If ''race'' is not a big issue then why put much emphasis on your grandfather having blue eyes or the fact that your relatives and people in your church all look ''white''. People would usually not obcess over such things if they were minor details.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^LOL Ausar got ya!
Posts: 26353 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
she looks like she's makeing that hand symbol that Jesus does.

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Or Indian mudras. Speaking of which, why is Jesus depicted making mudras??
Rameses the Grea
Member # 11412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rameses the Grea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If ''race'' is not a big issue then why put much emphasis on your grandfather having blue eyes or the fact that your relatives and people in your church all look ''white''. People would usually not obcess over such things if they were minor details."

Well, you don't know me. I know a lot, but myself as a personality am not very cultured. I decided to post something that fit the occasion. I agree these were not minor details, but were they irrelavent?

Anyways, you brought up the issue and I followed in on what you said. People move and immigrate to much for their to just be one race, hopefully something we both can agree on?

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, you don't know me. I know a lot, but myself as a personality am not very cultured. I decided to post something that fit the occasion. I agree these were not minor details, but were they irrelavent?
Your color and phenotype is irrelavent to me but I guess it fits into this discussion. I often hear people say ''race'' does not matter to themselves but they fall into the Western classification system even though they come from non-western culturess.

quote:
Anyways, you brought up the issue and I followed in on what you said. People move and immigrate to much for their to just be one race, hopefully something we both can agree on?
Yes, I did bring up the fact that Coptic Christians[as a whole] generally don't look like Greeks or Italians. As far as race, this is something that I am undeicded on wheather it exists or not. Definately differences amongst people exist but not enough to justify ''races'' because again ''race'' is something that 19th century Westenern scholars created.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com