EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Shades of Memnon Book 1 Review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shades of Memnon Book 1 Review
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shades of Memnon
Author: Gregory L. Walker (Bro G)
Release: 1999

Why hasn't this book been made into a movie yet? That's how I felt after reading this. SPOILER WARNING AHEAD!!!!!

What I Liked

1. Detail. The attention to detail in this novel is just as good as some of the best out there. And I'm not just talking about "so and so looked like this...blah blah." I'm talking about the gripping feeling you get when one of the Wolven show up. You know when you're into a book when you're reading enthralling material.

2. Memna-Un. Young and naive is how I see him...which isn't bad considering he's never been away from home. He's the most detailed character in the whole book and very likeable. You feel sad for him knowing that he's being forced to to evil deeds because he's trying to protect his sister.

3. The Glossary of Terms. This is a book with a lot of words and phrases most people reading it won't know. I like how, when it's morning...the author doesn't say, "the sun rose over the horizon." He says, "the rays of Aten." But many people would be like..."What is Aten?" So the glossary (which I admit I used once or twice) comes in handy.

4. Flow. The story has a nice layout. You never feel like you want to skip pages because your eyes are getting heavy from boredom (and there's nothing I hate more than a boring book). The story is easy to read and easy to follow.

Alright, as much as I liked this book...it was not without its problems.

Gripes, Problems, and Suggestions

1. Length. The first thing that pops in my mind is the length. No, it's not too long...IMO, it's too short! The book is only 199 pages, but that's including the glossary, author's notes, forward, etc. The story itself is only 156 pages!! I guess maybe it's because I'm used to ready 300+ page novels...I don't know. But I just have to say, for such a good book...many readers may feel it's incomplete.

2. Character Development. I know, I mentioned Memna-Un as a positive. But again, that's because he's the main character...of course you'll know a lot about him. For the other characters like Kho-An-Sa, Nala, Cronn...you know almost nothing about them (and they are important to the story). Kho-An-Sa is supposed to be the villian...but the reader will be left in the dark about his background because it's not given. All we know about Kho-An-Sa is that he's a warlock and that he's involved with the coalition of the Sea People. How deep that relationship is, how he came to be involved with them, etc is not known. Though I will say that I haven't read 'Ra Force Rising' yet so all of these question may or may not be answered. Another problem I had with him is how he keeps calling Memna-un "young Panther." It makes you wonder if this guy is really the ultimate baddy or is he compassionate, yet powermad? "Young Panther" implies respect or admiration. But this confusion all goes back to Kho-An-Sa's character development. It seems the author didn't really know what direction to take him.

Cronn, who can just about stand toe-to-toe with anyone (or anything), is also unknown. He doesn't say one word in the book either (just grunts), which gives the reader the impression that he's just a dumb brute. I don't know if this is what Bro G intentionally did, but it would have been easier to get a feeling for him had there been more character development. After finishing the book, the only thing I know about him is that he's from the North.

Lastly, there's Nala...who is more of a secondary character like Cronn. Though, I know more about her character just because she talks more. Nala is a seducer (spelling may be wrong)...a wolf in sheeps clothing. Her job (as obviously laid out by Kho-An-Sa) is to seduce and turn Memna-Un. Sort of like Star Wars and turning a jedi to the darkside. I always knew she was up to something, you just don't fully understand until the end. Nala is the 'femme fatale' of 'Shades of Memnon.'

3. Plot Hole. There is a small plot hole in the story. In the end of the book, the great Blacksmith Daedalus informs Memna-Un that he's being used as a weapon. Memna-Un (the way it's written) seems to be shocked or let down. This is a problem because first of all, Memna-un knows Kho-An-Sa is practically holding his sister hostage forcing him to travel with him and do his dirty deeds. He should have at least suspected that he was being used. Secondly, and more importantly, Kho-An-Sa blurts out in front of the crowd at Petra that "we can use him (basically)." Which is why I said earlier, that Memna-Un must be naive (yet strong)...because most people should have seen a set up coming.

4. The Habiru (Hebrews). I can't speak for every reader on this one...but I personally didn't like the way they were portrayed...as dumb, foolish theives. Nomads in the beginning, sure. But the way they were portrayed as being culture stealers and worthless just didn't sit well with me. But again, other readers may not see anything wrong with that.

Suggestions

- The only two real problems I had with this book was the length and character development (aside from the plot hole...which happens sometimes, and that little nitpick with the Hebrews). Other than that, the book was a very entertaining read. Though, probably more for the early-to-mid teens group.
- You should have a map in the beginning of your book too.

Questions

- What is Atl-anta? Is it something you made up for the book?

- On the front of the book, it says "Optioned for Movie Production. Can you give us more info on that?

- I thought Memnon of Troy was from Ethiopia/Kush. Why does Menma-un say he's from Kemet?

Conclusion

Very well thought out and good book. There definently needs to be more like it.

8/10

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't I edit?
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com