EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » For those who still don't get it...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For those who still don't get it...
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who continue to rehash subjects which have already been exhausted, especially regarding 'race', I have taken the liberty of composing a text, written in Pharaonic Egyptian that each of you should recite daily:

Udjai Baraka
Greetings and Blessings

Anon anok u rekhi.t
I am not a learned person

Ni rekhi Keme.t Deshre.t eiten m Shinola
I don't know the difference between Black and Red or S... from Shinola

Anok u djadja pahwi
I am a butt-head

Grokhi Anzeba (hen) Anzeba (hen)
I need schooling (nodding yes) schooling (nodding yes)

Ru amon ni amon
Then what is hidden from me shall be revealed

kem
the end

Now, all of you, repeat this passage daily... [Wink]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dude, is there a central place/book where I can go to learn this Ancient language? I find it quite interesting.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wally,

I concur with "Machiavelli", aka the Nigerian.......lol. It is great that you have learned some Mdu Netcher. How did you learn it? Salaam

Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:

For those of you who continue to rehash subjects which have already been exhausted, especially regarding 'race', I have taken the liberty of composing a text, written in Pharaonic Egyptian that each of you should recite daily:

Udjai Baraka
Greetings and Blessings

Anon anok u rekhi.t

Anok u djadja pahwi
I am a butt-head

Grokhi Anzeba (hen) Anzeba (hen)

Ru amon ni amon

kem
the end

Now, all of you, repeat this passage daily...

Unless I'm misreading the layout of your notes, "kem", which you present as "the end"(?), is no different in letter form from the term "kem", as in the color "black"?
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Udjai Baraka
Greetings and Blessings

Anon anok u rekhi.t

Anok u djadja pahwi
I am a butt-head

Qrokhi Anzeba (hen) Anzeba (hen)

Ru amon ni amon

kem
the end

Now, all of you, repeat this passage daily... [Wink]

I reposted this 'cause I made a typo; it is Qrokhi NOT Grokhi. My bad... [Smile]
Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Machiavelli:
dude, is there a central place/book where I can go to learn this Ancient language? I find it quite interesting.

Yes, it's called the Library... [Smile]
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:
Unless I'm misreading the layout of your notes, "kem", which you present as "the end"(?), is no different in letter form from the term "kem", as in the color "black"?

Yes,
The terms are identical in writing and spelling, except that the term "kem" which means "completion, finish,..." is followed by the determinative which means "an abstract concept" whereas, the word "kem" or black is always followed by a concrete; i.e., a person, a cow, a face, a community, etc.
There are plenty of words, such as "kem", in the Mdu Ntr that are written the same but have different meanings, usually differentiated by the word's determinative...

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

got any book recommendations?
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

got any book recommendations?
Learning the Mdu Ntr:
The following is a short list of books for those who wish to learn the Mdu Ntr, and are readily available at the library, bookstores, and online (ie, Amazon.com).

Beginner:

Egyptian Language Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics by E. A. Wallis Budge
This remains the classic introductory volumn for beginners. Don't be deceived by the title; it is more an introduction to the grammar of the language than it is a focus on hieroglyphics. (see addendum)

Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vols 1&2 by E. A. Wallis Budge
This should be on every students shelf or available at the nearest library. At the library, the two volumns are always located in the Reference section and are always available.

Intermediate:

Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs by James P. Allen
This is an exhaustive examination of the language; Middle Egyptian being regarded as the Classic language of Kemet. (Borders or Amazon.com)

Egyptian Grammar: Being an Introduction to the Study of Hieroglyphs (Egyptology: Griffith Institute) by Sir Alan Henderson Gardiner

Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian (Egyptology: Griffith Institute) by Raymond Faulkner
This would form the supplement to the above volumn

Advanced:

Ancient Egyptian: A Linguistic Introduction by Antonio Loprieno
---
Once you have finished just the beginner's book, you will easily be able to do the following example:

Take an adjective;
dshr deshr - to be red

And make it a noun-adjective;
dshr.t deshre - red

And then making it a concrete word by using a determinative
dshr.t (klom) Red crown
dshr.t (hr) red face
dshr.t (khast) red country

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread. I can't believe I missed this one.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com