EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » What are formations around or under the pyramids?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are formations around or under the pyramids?
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=29559441&x=31222179&z=17&l=0&m=s (Senusret I)

Here is a satellite picture of one of these.

Most of the pyramids have what appear to be jetties or piers around them. Others look like what's left after a candle burns down. These same formations appear in the desert in a few places.

I'm having no luck in finding what they are and have only one picture that is close enough to see much. That picture is pointed toward the north at the Great Pyramid and shows the formation south of the Khufu quarry. They appear to be rocky.

So are these at Senusret I pyramid just carved versions of the same thing?

Any information or clues where to find it is most appreciated.

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's very little more to report except that there is a small building on one of these. Some have very steep sides so it would seem they must be carved of stone. There are a few other things in the desert which I can't identify also.

Does anyone know anyone who lives in this area and can help? It looks like there is little activity in the desert now days but there are some good routes to Cairo through here.

--------------------
Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=29574549&x=31225977&z=17&l=0&m=s

This is an even more dramatic example of these formations on the Amenemhat I's pyramid.

They look like they'd be an excellent means to distribute water if they are stone. It's easy to picture trees and gardens around with bath houses and swimming pools. In this hot climate swimming would be a welcome relief to anyone. Perhaps a lot of this activity occurred in the valley temples as well as the mortuary temples.

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a clue but perhaps these formations are natural made features of the landscape. (?)
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/themba/145217302/

In the lower left hand corner you can see this is at nearly the vertical. It appears it must be natural and must be rock.

It also inplies that they went to some effort to carve these into shapes under some of the pyramids that would serve perfectly for distributing water to various points. There is no similarity between the various shapes. This would seem to imply they were useful rather than ornamental. They would be difficult to view from anywhere but nearby roofs anyway. There is also a tendency for these to be at the heads of the wadis and to have lots of segmented flat areas in the immediate vicinity. This all implies farming. This all implies water with the pyramids as its source.

So how did they build the Great Pyramid?

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I don't know about water, I do know that the pyramid builders of ancient America built temples and pyramids with a flowing water system for the people. There are many underground aquifers throughout the Sahara including Egypt, but other than wells I do not know how well the Egyptians were able to utilize them.

As for how the pyramids were built, I already recommended this book to you before:

-

Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com