EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » tombs of seti 1 and rammeses 3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tombs of seti 1 and rammeses 3
adrianne
Member # 10761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adrianne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all

Q.1. who in ancient egypt would have access to these tombs.

Q.2. does anyone think the people depicted on the races of man would be the pharoahs idea of the perfect image of that tribe.

I am no expert in egyptology just learning basic stuff about it so correct me where i do go wrong,

But In my opinion/theory, the tombs wouldnt be opened to the general public so i think the pharoahs idea of what the perfect egyptian looks like to him is displayed in their tombs.

Example1: did seti have asiatic blood in him? the paintings of the egyptians in his tombs look in my opinion half black african half asiatic?

Example2: rammeses 3 who in all the paintings look black to me so the egyptians look black in his tomb.

any comments?

Posts: 164 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These tomb paintings have been delt with in great detail on this forum.

Pay special heed to esteemable posts from Wally and AlTakruri.....
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/001098.html

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by adrianne:

hi all

hello
quote:
Other than the tomb workers, painters, and scribes, why the Pharoah himself as well as priests, advisers, and other officials.

quote:
Q.2. does anyone think the people depicted on the races of man would be the pharoahs idea of the perfect image of that tribe.
No, the images just represent 'sample' peoples who represent their particular group and are not suppose to be representations of "races" so much as just peoples who neigbor the Egyptians and whom the sun (Ra) shines over.

quote:
I am no expert in egyptology just learning basic stuff about it so correct me where i do go wrong,
Sure.

quote:
But In my opinion/theory, the tombs wouldnt be opened to the general public so i think the pharoahs idea of what the perfect egyptian looks like to him is displayed in their tombs.
No the tombs weren't open to the public but I don't know what that had to do with how peoples were portrayed in his tombs. I don't know about the Pharaoh going for the "perfect" looks so much as ideal looks

quote:
Example1: did seti have asiatic blood in him? the paintings of the egyptians in his tombs look in my opinion half black african half asiatic?
To the first question, no-- or at least we have no evidence of Seti being of Asiatic ancestry. We know he arose through the military and there were alot of foreigners serving in the military in Lower Egypt but there were also native Egyptians. Seti was a Set worshipper but Set was worshipped by Egyptians first before foreigners. We just have no evidence of Seti being of foreign descent and it is more likely his family originated from further south. As yet the only known Egyptian rulers of foreign ancestry are those who conquered Egypt from outside.

To your second question, what looks do you consider "full" black African and what looks do you consider "half" black African??

quote:
Example2: rammeses 3 who in all the paintings look black to me so the egyptians look black in his tomb.

any comments?

And? Rammessia 3 is a native Egyptians and all native Egyptians are black so what is your point?

Seti I
 -

Tomb wall of Seti I
 -

Seti's father, Ramesses I
 -

Ramesses II
 -

Posts: 26311 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also more recently and with repros o/t same scene from others at http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=004067

BTW
"Pharaoh" had little to do with the artists details.
The art crews were pretty much independent but did
work from a standard "fake" book.

I doubt the tombs were open to the public. Unlike
our view of them as "museum pieces" they served
religio-magical purposes and these paintings were
used in part to ensure "Pharaoh's" successful
afterlife journey through otherworldly portals
while his "soul" was enroute to Ausar-Ra for
judgement, permanent beatification, and unity
in deity. One nick or graffito or etc., could nullify
the desired effect and purpose of the artwork as
illustrations for a kind of "before Christianity and
before Judaism 'Bible'."

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
These tomb paintings have been delt with in great detail on this forum.

Pay special heed to esteemable posts from Wally and AlTakruri.....
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/001098.html

quote:

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Seti I, Ramses III

The Royal Tombs of Egypt, Zahi Hawass (2006)

Page 300:

Centuries of weathering, and decades of heavy tourist traffic, have chipped much of the paint off the walls of this royal tomb. We are currently using a rotation system to close each tomb in turn for restoration and conservation, and keeping the most fragile, such as the sepulcher of Seti I, off-limits for tourist.

Seti I
 -

Page 294

This scene from the tomb of Ramses III, depicting the king offering incense to the god Ptah (not shown) displays the revages of time, with much of the painted plaster having fallen from the walls.

-

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Yup, they look pretty black African to me..
Posts: 26311 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, how I tremble at the mention of "restoration."

quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
quote:
Seti I, Ramses III

The Royal Tombs of Egypt, Zahi Hawass (2006)

Page 300:

We are currently using a rotation system to close each tomb in turn for restoration ...

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I hear you Takruri, I hear you. Salaam
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com