EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Enough with the OT crap!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Enough with the OT crap!
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a forum that is supposed to be about Ancient Egypt and Egyptology, but it seems to be open field for those, usually ill-informed, who wish to post topics that are besides the point. If you don't know or are not interested in Ancient Egypt...go somewhere's else...Please?
Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustafino
Member # 12795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustafino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No more Olmecs, Chinese, etc? Wohoo!!!!
Posts: 354 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long can you talk about Ancient Egypt. Once everything is discussed and there's nothing else to talk about people will eventually start making up folklore, lies, and hocus pocus science.
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Enough with the OT crap!
I couldn't agree more! When I first returned to this forum, the first thing I noticed was a long list of way off-topic threads mostly having to do "black issues".

No offense, but this is not blackplanet or BET.com!

And of course there are those start threads based on pseudo-sh*t nonsense!! I'm not naming any names, but you know who they are.

I would like to discuss more about ancient Egypt and/or Egyptology.

I would find off-topic threads far more interesting if they were not too off and had something to do with Egypt whether ancient or modern.

Posts: 26354 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tired of all these black mumbo jumbo crap that has nothing to do with Ancient Egypt. This forum should have at least 1000 threads about "ancient Egypt" and I would like if we can continue that. Thanks for your cooperation.
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off-topic posts are okay but become rather redundant when they out number the ones on ancient Egypt. Please consider also that sometimes the dry academic talk often on this forum is either over somebody's head or boring so they eventually post off-topic. Nothing wrong with a balance of off-topic posts alongside the more serious discussion.

If you want to get more people posting about ancient Egypt you have to make it more exciting and include some more common language. Don't comnpletely dumb down posts or talk down to posters but know the right balance. Personally, I have a difficult time writing in a way to lure people in unless its dry academic writing.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense, but until I see some sort of rule that OT threads can't be made...I couldn't care less what people are getting tired of, but that's just me.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone is insensed with OT threads I suggest they contribute
to existing on topic threads or broach their own on topic threads.

As simple as that. Otherwise sit, sulk, and stew in your own juices.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Wise words, Takruri.

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
I'm pleading for moderation to
delete all off topic threads.

[Big Grin] .. pretty.. corroborating!
quote:
ausar:
[...]Personally, I have a difficult time writing in a way to lure people in unless its dry academic writing.

Lay Man writes: What! Nah-ah! I can read quite a bit of your posts. Very thoughtful of you, though.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Off-topic posts are okay but become rather redundant when they out number the ones on ancient Egypt. Please consider also that sometimes the dry academic talk often on this forum is either over somebody's head or boring so they eventually post off-topic. Nothing wrong with a balance of off-topic posts alongside the more serious discussion.

If you want to get more people posting about ancient Egypt you have to make it more exciting and include some more common language. Don't comnpletely dumb down posts or talk down to posters but know the right balance. Personally, I have a difficult time writing in a way to lure people in unless its dry academic writing.

Also, it would be good if the regulars allowed people to ask questions without attacking the questioners personally.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the OT threads are interesting. I suggest a forum for one. For the ones above who don't like them why do you always post in them?
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for you Djehuti you say there have been a 1,000 posts dealing with black issues. Egypt was a black civilization. All the people were black. So if anyone talks about matters relating to Egypt they're still talking things that has to do with blacks.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustafino
Member # 12795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustafino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Allen:
As for you Djehuti you say there have been a 1,000 posts dealing with black issues. Egypt was a black civilization. All the people were black. So if anyone talks about matters relating to Egypt they're still talking things that has to do with blacks.

Eh, no. Just wishful thinking.
Posts: 354 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kifaru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
Also, it would be good if the regulars allowed people to ask questions without attacking the questioners personally.

I agree. This forum has become somewhat poisoned by rudeness and lack of scholarly decorum. Not saying we're all scholars here but we should observe some kind of self restraint when there are differeing opinions.
Posts: 167 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many threads seem to get caught up on issues of race.

A lot of people here are interested in race so this is obviously going to be a recurring theme but there's no need for it to invade every thread. Where it's off topic we could simply ignore it. Where it is the topic we can choose whether to contribute or ignore it.

No doubt more might contribute if these threads were less rancorous.

--------------------
Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James I. Nienhuis
Member # 13209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for James I. Nienhuis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured out how the Ancient Egyptians surveyed the Great Pyramid to be half a nautical mile, according to the rate of precession, and you guys sit there as if it's old news. I don't get it.
Posts: 24 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Allen:

Even if Egypt is a black African civilization, that does NOT mean one must create threads whose topics are about modern African American issues!
Posts: 26354 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sam p:

Too many threads seem to get caught up on issues of race.

A lot of people here are interested in race so this is obviously going to be a recurring theme but there's no need for it to invade every thread. Where it's off topic we could simply ignore it. Where it is the topic we can choose whether to contribute or ignore it.

No doubt more might contribute if these threads were less rancorous.

Indeed, there is more to the Egyptians than just their physical appearance or skin color but for some folks such a subject consumes their lives!
quote:
Originally posted by James I. Nienhuis:

I figured out how the Ancient Egyptians surveyed the Great Pyramid to be half a nautical mile, according to the rate of precession, and you guys sit there as if it's old news. I don't get it.

Sam P. just explained the reason why above.

If you want, you can start a thread on it. I will be one of the few is actually interested in your findings. Just how accurate are you anyway, and are you the first to find this out?

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^That's true, E.A. Sports,

BUT

Egypt was however an african civilization, so african topics that possibly bare any relevance, that are like, at least related to the continent are kind of relevant.

I agree with D-J in that this is E.S., A.E. & E., and NOT B.E.T.! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Sam P. just explained the reason why above.

If you want, you can start a thread on it. I will be one of the few is actually interested in your findings. Just how accurate are you anyway, and are you the first to find this out? [/QB]

I'm very interested as well but this was James I Nienhues' comment rather than mine.

I nearly sympathized with him and asked for the info since I feel his pain. [Razz]

I figured someone would. [Wink]

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James I. Nienhuis
Member # 13209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for James I. Nienhuis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djejuti, see the Precession Mapping and GP thread, and yes, I deduced the finding by distilling some work by Ralph Ellis, Crichton Miller, and Graham Hancock.
Posts: 24 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and PLEASE no more absurd topics like "Who Built the Egyptian Pyramids", it's like the old Groucho Marx joke "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?"

Duhh, please think!!
"Who built the Eifel Tower" - duhh, the French?
"Who built the Great Wall of China" - duhh, the Chinese?
"Who built the Empire State Building" - duhh, uhhh King Kong?, uhhh no, the Americans?
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^LOL So true!
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

I don't believe it, but it seems the O.T. crap is dwindling...
I hope I didn't jinx things though [Eek!]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com